Jaime Dee is no longer a cruise director

shof515

Thats all? Would have thought substantially more.

You have to remember too how many other perks are included. They save big expenses. They aren't paying for things like rent, car, food, gas, car insurance, etc, the things that eat up so much of our pay!

You have to remember too how many other perks are included. They save big expenses. They aren't paying for things like rent, car, food, gas, car insurance, etc, the things that eat up so much of our pay!

Some CDs have families that live in houses, have cars, need gas, need car insurance. Are you saying the cruise line pays these expenses? That is a pretty nice perk.

True but when they take vacations of 60 days or so figure they have to keep an apartment or something to keep their stuff. Wonder how many of them actually own all this stuff?.

They still need those when not on a ship. I think Jaime owns more than one house, but some are rentals. She's got it together.

After reading Jaime’s FB post, it almost seems as though her decision to leave was a rather sudden one, as she still has her upcoming ships schedule posted as the header on her account. Also as someone else mentioned, they had just talked to her very recently and there was no mention of her leaving Carnival. This makes me sad, as Jaime is the one CD that I always remember from my cruises. I remember her always being out and about on the ship, stopping to talk to passengers and genuinely making people feel welcome. Carnival is losing of the good ones, IMO.

After reading Jaime’s FB post, it almost seems as though her decision to leave was a rather sudden one, as she still has her upcoming ships schedule posted as the header on her account. Also as someone else mentioned, they had just talked to her very recently and there was no mention of her leaving Carnival. This makes me sad, as Jaime is the one CD that I always remember from my cruises. I remember her always being out and about on the ship, stopping to talk to passengers and genuinely making people feel welcome. Carnival is losing of the good ones, IMO.
She just completed her degree and I'm sure wanted to be closer to family... She has a young nephew she rarely gets to see. Her new position looks to be a great opportunity but it will certainly be a lifestyle change!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

If the previous post of 80k a year is accurate, the math on that is absolutely terrible. Obviously there would be work hour variables, but let’s say a CD works 16 hours any given day on a ship, seven days a week while they’re onboard. That’s 112 hours a week. If they get eight weeks off a year, all the math still works out to about $16.23 an hour salary. No wonder there’s turnover.

I’d bet most people do it for the love of it and the travel benefits.

We met Jaime several years ago when she was an Assistant CD. We were so impressed with her endless energy and knew that she would become a great CD. We had the pleasure of sailing with her a couple of more times as a CD. One of the things that impressed us the most is that it was evident that she really loved her job. Her passion for the job was infectious, and was passed on to many of the entertainment team members that she mentored.

When we would have short conversations with her, she made us feel that talking to us was the most important thing that she had to do at the time, although I'm sure she had more pressing demands on her schedule. She is leaving at the top of her game. I'm almost certain that Carnival would have offered her a shore side position, but I think that Jaime still wants to interact face-to-face with guests in the hospitality industry, and most importantly be near her family.

Wishing her all the best as she enters this phase of her life.

If the previous post of 80k a year is accurate, the math on that is absolutely terrible. Obviously there would be work hour variables, but let’s say a CD works 16 hours any given day on a ship, seven days a week while they’re onboard. That’s 112 hours a week. If they get eight weeks off a year, all the math still works out to about $16.23 an hour salary. No wonder there’s turnover.

Based on your math have to believe they get paid a lot more for the job they do.

After 10 years, they can get a pretty sweet severance package. Carnival likely paid for her recent Masters Degree which she is putting to use. But sure, travel and discounts on other travel are part of the attraction.

We are sad that we won't get to see Jaime on the Paradise the end of May but are very happy for her. We sailed with her on the Sunshine and she is truly a wonderful LADY!! She must have gotten offered a great job that is close to her family and now that she has finished her Master's Degree, she can go on to bigger and better things including marriage and a family! We wish her nothing but the best and only hope that all her dreams come true!

Wonder if something happened post-dry dock. we had her on a recent Paradise sailing and she wasn't very engaging, walked right by us a couple of times, wasn't smiling and didn't even say hello.

wish her well in her new job!

I agree, the hours are pretty high. That's generally how most positions on the ship are. I do doubt that it is really 112 hours a week. There is no way you can expect someone to maintain energy for a position like that, no matter the pay. I haven't followed the CDs enough to know what they do all day. I'd assume there is lots of staggered breaks.

I've wondered before how Matt M. does it. I mentioned this in my last cruise report. The selfies with passengers, no time to yourself, constant smile on, random people touching you all the time...i know it's the job, but :confused::confused::confused:

you have to be the kind of person who likes this. I have been in the same job of a huge university for a long time. Some weeks I train 500 people and they all think they know me personally. I know the CDs have more than that a week but still...

I'm an extrovert. That kind of daily activity excites me! My sister hates people and therefore would not do well. That's why she's a programmer and not a trainer like me. LOL

• 1 month later...
Many people nowadays don’t stay with their employers long. It doesn’t matter which industry, but people are leaving and switching careers more than ever before. I don’t see her move as any different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree with this. Also evidenced by the huge turnover of CD’s in general at Carnival. I honestly only recognize a couple of CD’s names and have only sailed with one or two of the ones that remain and have been around for more than a year or two.

With current corporate thinking of continually cutting costs, this isn't surprising. I'd be surprised if Carnival continues to have a CD for the foreseeable future.

Yeah they will have a crew of 4..... Not long ago they split the job into two positions, CD and an entertainment director. I guess that is surprising as well. Jamie Dee left for other reasons, although I know that pales in comparison to it being “another cutback” from a discussion perspective. We know many CD’s who have been around a long time, including Matt who is the best in the business (not just Carnival).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jamie Dee left for other reasons, although I know that pales in comparison to it being “another cutback” from a discussion perspective.

Just curious if you are implying she left on unhappy terms? I know she got her Masters Degree and is probably set up for way bigger things in the future that are not on a cruise ship.

Just curious if you are implying she left on unhappy terms? I know she got her Masters Degree and is probably set up for way bigger things in the future that are not on a cruise ship.

Not at all.....by all accounts left on best of terms

Not at all.....by all accounts left on best of terms

That's the impression I got from following her FB page. I was fortunate to sail with her twice and she was awesome.

I was almost certain when they announced the Horizon cruise director that it would be Jaime (and that's no offense to Mike Pack whom I've never sailed with but have heard good things about).

That's the impression I got from following her FB page. I was fortunate to sail with her twice and she was awesome.

I was almost certain when they announced the Horizon cruise director that it would be Jaime (and that's no offense to Mike Pack whom I've never sailed with but have heard good things about).

She is a peach and most certainly was on the short list. We first met her on the Splendor when it arrived in Long Beach.