Honest post-cruise survey?

We are just off Allure. Had a fantastic week but our main dining room experience was not nearly as good as it has been in the past. Candidly, our waiter was not great. With all the reminders to give 10s (including a number from the waiter himself), I’m conflicted.

I’m wondering how honest people are in their post-cruise surveys.

The crew is not suppose to direct your post cruise review. That is wrong. As I understand they are not allowed to mention it to you at all.

I’m very honest. I’m not a complainer, yet I do believe they do not know if you do not tell them.

If your waiter wasn’t great- why let him slide with a 10?

We are just off Allure. Had a fantastic week but our main dining room experience was not nearly as good as it has been in the past. Candidly, our waiter was not great. With all the reminders to give 10s (including a number from the waiter himself), I’m conflicted.

Sounds like a personal decision. But why not tell it the way it is? Just maybe your honesty might be the difference for the next person that waiter waits on.

We've been fortunate in never having a bad or even mediocre wait staff. We've had waiters that more closely matched our "personalities" than others, but we've truly gotten such good service that it has never been a problem. We do, however, know how important the survey is to them because it impacts perks they get and promotions they receive. We've never had to fudge on the survey. I've only had one complaint and that was a piece of luggage that got badly damaged. Lesson learned. I buy a cheap piece of luggage and if it gets damaged it's not a big loss.

I don't like the Number 1 to 10 surveys because they don't have an option to give a critique. Don't feel they given a useful tool to the cruise line. Most people probably just go the middle of the road number.

Just finished our survey for last week’s Oasis Cruise. Gave lots of 10s, some 8s and 9s, a 7 here and there, and one 4 - for Sorrentos Pizza!!!

I know that 10s mean a lot to the crew members, but I chose to be as honest as I could be. It’s my future cruise experience that I’m hoping to affect.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is one thing I absolutely hate about cruising. I'm going to be honest about my experiences on board - if getting less than a 10 is an issue with your employer, then that's an issue you need to take up with your employer, not me.

They're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I've had people request that *if their service was good* to give them a 10.

This is because anything below a 10 is a failing grade in RCCL-world. And while I agree that RCCL is being beyond idiotic to take this approach, I also understand that when your job is on the line, whether your boss is being stupid or not is immaterial when you're trying not to get fired.

I do understand the need to tell customers that a 9 is considered a negative evaluation because otherwise, plenty of people would be giving 8's and 9's, not realizing that they might as well be giving 1's.

This is a double edge sword for sure...at least for me it is. On one hand I want to be honest so that they can improve where they need to improve. But on the other hand I fully understand that a majority of the crew work far harder than I do...and have to put up with a lot more than I. So I always keep that in mind, because I don't complain unless service is extremely bad. I can brush off most everything and understand that the crew is allowed to have bad days just like the rest of us. And it seems that maybe RCCI systems and processes are what need improvement. So I typically give the 10's (except under those extreme cases) and make a point to highlight the individuals that went above and beyond in the comments sections...that's kind of how I separate the good from the great.

If someone asks/begs me to give all 10s, that’s an automatic -1 regardless of how everything else went.

Part of the survey I did for the Anthem Cruise we got back from just over a week ago and for other cruises we done in the last year or so was if anyone had asked for a certain rating and if so what sector this person worked in.

Fortunately this wasn't the case for us lately but it has been the situation for us on many previous cruises when the service wasn't excellent or even good.

My entire extended and immediate family has spent at least some, if not extensive time working in the car sales industry. Those manufacturers surveys you get directly influenced your salesperson's income, this also goes for service advisors as well as other associate in the dealership. Knowing that someone compensation is tied directly to the survey results sways me to blindly give all 10s. In most cases when you go out to eat, even if service was sub par you tip SOMETHING, right? As someone stated here, a "9" is seen as a failing grade, this is true. I can see why it is important to make sure clients know this because most of us would assume "8" or "9" are high marks.Why not give them their 10s, it costs you nothing and likely gets them paid.

Realize this is more future advice but...don’t wait till the cruise survey to give a a low score. The surveys are so important to the crew it’s only fair to give them the opportunity to fix what’s not working. It’s also important to give your servers/staff feedback during the cruise so they can get a 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Realize this is more future advice but...don’t wait till the cruise survey to give a a low score. The surveys are so important to the crew it’s only fair to give them the opportunity to fix what’s not working. It’s also important to give your servers/staff feedback during the cruise so they can get a 10.

You are right! This would have been a much better way to go about it.

This is one thing I absolutely hate about cruising. I'm going to be honest about my experiences on board - if getting less than a 10 is an issue with your employer, then that's an issue you need to take up with your employer, not me.

100 percent agree. I hate being begged to give only 10's. Not fair to the employees or the customers.

We just got off Allure too and had the same thoughts. It seemed like our waiter was good, she just didn’t get much help from he assistant like I’ve seen in the past and maybe had too many tables to get the service we’ve had in the past (don’t known if that’s the case, a guess though). The dining room experience was not like I’ve had in the past.

I did the survey and it doesn’t seem to get to that level of detail being just a number and one box for words at the end. I did also send an email. Without feedback, how can It be improved.

My entire extended and immediate family has spent at least some, if not extensive time working in the car sales industry. Those manufacturers surveys you get directly influenced your salesperson's income, this also goes for service advisors as well as other associate in the dealership.

I just bought a new car and my salesperson was great. I definitely gave her all 10s. But, her boss was an absolute ass, so I basically put in the comments that my salesperson was great, but her boss needs a serious attitude adjustment or I'll likely never buy from that dealership again as long as he's the head of sales. Who knows if they read the comments (ha, of course not), but I can try.

Sorry but I'm not taking the time to tell every individual who provides me with service that they were an 8 or 9 and they need to step up their game to be 10.

If everyone was completely honest on these Royal would soon change how they viewed the results as they couldn't very well get rid of or reduce the pay of nearly every single worker.

No matter how well intentioned you think you are you are doing everyone a disservice by giving false 10's.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

Sorry but I'm not taking the time to tell every individual who provides me with service that they were an 8 or 9 and they need to step up their game to be 10.

If everyone was completely honest on these Royal would soon change how they viewed the results as they couldn't very well get rid of or reduce the pay of nearly every single worker.

No matter how well intentioned you think you are you are doing everyone a disservice by giving false 10's.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

This is how I feel. When the servers in Chops is bending over backwards for 3 nights to make our dining experience amazing (10) and the waiter in the MDR shoves a menu in my hand, interrupts me 3 times as I’m speaking, telling me what I want for dessert. And when I finally get it out, he doesn’t order me dessert, and I have to reorder dessert, rushes us through supper, never asks if we’d like a drink, or how our meal is. (6) And the food is good, not great (8)

I’m not giving the MDR a 10. It simply doesn’t help Royal correct the issues, and give better service.

I was extremely pleased with our recent cruise, however there were great and some mediocre service.

• Like 1

I find a lot of the survey's are more about numbers and not enough about WORDS.

To me a 9 should not have the employee scared and worried about their job.

The cruise line should not tell the employees to beg for a certain number because that in itself is annoying and should be discontinued.

Those folks are away from family and friends for 8 months and to worry about 1 digit in a ratings system is so sad and unnecessary

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me. I will always tell it like I see it. Refuse to give a 10 unless I feel it is deserved. I do take into account the circumstances and am aware that dining staff has been severely cut in recent years and service which we once knew and enjoyed no longer exists.

So sad that the bread now is shoved on the table in a basket. No more bread boy/girl to help you select your bread, a small but nice service. No more asking if we would enjoy a drink with our dinner so now we bring our own drinks to dinner. So many changes!!!

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me. I will always tell it like I see it. Refuse to give a 10 unless I feel it is deserved. I do take into account the circumstances and am aware that dining staff has been severely cut in recent years and service which we once knew and enjoyed no longer exists.

So sad that the bread now is shoved on the table in a basket. No more bread boy/girl to help you select your bread, a small but nice service. No more asking if we would enjoy a drink with our dinner so now we bring our own drinks to dinner. So many changes!!!

oh let me add I hate waiting for coffee with my dessert. They think Coffee comes 20 minutes later. I agree with you on the bread too. Because if there is only 1 of a type that interest me, chances are someone else will be speedy to grab. oh well