Unhappy with Princess customer service!

Jimorel

I can't remember when I placed that call. I do know that is was after I determined that we would not have *****. (We were right down the hallway on Baja from the ***** rooms. Saw plenty of frustrated people trying to get into their rooms)

Looks like it is the people with the ***** who should have received the OBC.

I went to Passenger Services to ask why there was a difference. The representative onboard told me that NO BODY GOT ANY OBC FOR NOT GETTING *****. Even after I told him I did and he looked up my account he continued to tell me nobody had gotten OBC over this. I call this an outright lie, especially since he saw that I had $50pp on my account.

Sorry for the way you were treated. There is no excuse for any company to treat a customer like that.

However, the Passenger Service rep on the ship probably did not "lie" on purpose. These reps have no idea at all what the home office does in relation to anything related to OBC (or for a number of other things that affect life on board the ship).

These personnel on most cruise lines really know very little about anything outside of their direct responsibilities.

OP, sorry you have had such a negative experience in trying to get a response to a simple question. The problem as I see it is that you are expecting a reasoned and rational response to your question but all too often Princess management makes decisions that are neither reasoned nor rational. Consequently, there is no justification for some decisions and therefore the only face saving response is to block, stall, imply you are mistaken, etc. Wouldn’t it have been refreshing if they had said, sorry I cannot find a reason why people got different obc, it’s just a result of different people making different decisions on different days.

Many years ago I discovered that by reading Cruisecritic I was, in many ways, better informed than front desk staff. Therefore I have very low expectations of what they are able to deliver. This means I don’t go to the front desk unless I am confident it is within their remit eg reactivating my cruise card, correcting an account error, etc.

I suspect the OP’s question was well outside the body of information they have access to.

Same with the at one time proposed ***** on Royal Princess. Many North American pax on here told me they got up to $100 obc as compensation for no *****. Princess Australia told me straight out, not applicable for Australian passengers, a bit rude I know. I think Princess gave this obc to a few, then the flood gates opened and they stopped it.:rolleyes:

We have paid plenty for flights, hotels, mini suites on upcoming cruises Sapphire and Royal, so I am not going to get upset about missing out on 50 or 100 bucks on Royal for no *****. Not worth the stress.

I have the CB booked for the fall, I booked in February. Not knowing that the original itinerary had been changed and the propulsion problems existed, apparently those who booked early on were give OBC for the change of itinerary AND the propulsion problem..because I booked after the fact I get '0", is that fair, who knows, will I miss the OBC, If I never had it, I won't.

I have to sort of wonder if Customer Service's/Passenger Services desk mood changed when the OP pressed on. She didn't like the answer that they gave and they were not in a position to provide additional info which probably didn't please the OP.

I did consider myself lucky to have gotten the $50. I just wanted to know why some got more both before and after I was given $50. At no time did I ever ask for any additional OBC, I just wanted to know why there was a difference in what people were getting and being told. I would have been happy with being told that we are sorry but it wasn't handled in the best way.

The fact is Princess does not owe you an explanation on why they did what they did. You did received an OBC and that should suffice. We are in a suite on the Regal and have received nothing and I do not expect anything. I do know that many passengers will be getting unlimited internet which is a huge plus in my opinion.

We were on the Regal Princess April 1-8. Upon our return home I sent an email to the President about a problem we had on the cruise. In this email I pointed out the good points about the cruise,the staff who we felt did a good job & then the problem. I received a phone call from a person in Customer Relations within 4 hours of my email. We were thanked for our email & gave some further info about the problem The individual then said he would get back to me after I forwarded some pictures of the problem. We heard back from him in a couple of days. We have never had a problem getting a reply whether we travelled with RCI, Celebrity & now a Princess. Alfred

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please if you will read this whole post and help me understand what I may be doing wrong!

We cruised the Regal Princess from Feb. 25-March 4, 2018. This was to have been an Ocean Medallion cruise. As it turned out not for everyone on that cruise. We were given $50 OBC per person to compensate for the rollout mishap that Princess went through. Many people were given $100 OBC per person. I was happy with the $50, but I went to Passenger Services to ask why there was a difference. The representative onboard told me that NO BODY GOT ANY OBC FOR NOT GETTING *****. Even after I told him I did and he looked up my account he continued to tell me nobody had gotten OBC over this. I call this an outright lie, especially since he saw that I had $50pp on my account.

Upon returning home I emailed Customer Services Manager Lisa Black and stated what happened and asked for an explanation. Ms. Black never answered me and after a month and a day I decided to email Princess President Jan Swartz. I was contacted by someone from Princess by email who said he had tried to call me multiple times and if I wanted to talk to him I should call. I did and I got a recording without a return call.

This morning I called again and he answered the phone. I feel totally misunderstood and unappreciated by Princess. This person seemed to think my problem was that I wanted some money from Princess and that my problem was that I thought I hadn't gotten enough money as OBC from them. He proceeded to tell me that I got all I should have got. I tried to explain that all I wanted was an explanation as to why other people received more. I was told that I they were not talking about other people for privacy reasons. I was also told that I was misinformed and it seemed he was saying that I was asking for something that I was not asking for. Apparently customer services knows more about what I want than I do!!

Am I alone in my thinking that Princess Cruises owes me an explanation of why we were treated differently? I only wanted a reasonable answer, not lies, not a cold shoulder and certainly not the massive runaround I feel I was given today. We booked an interior cabin and I was fully expecting someone from Princess to nicely say "Hey you booked the lowest fare category cabin and $50 is all we were giving to interior cabins". I wasn't expecting to be told that what other people got is none of my concern.

Somebody please tell me what I did wrong, besides sailing Princess instead of sailing with the other cruise line we have sailed.

Thank you for your time reading this and for any input you can give me.

One of the first things that I have learned from my (admittedly) short time here is that several "seasoned" cruisers believe that ANYTHING a cruise line does to you is (a) you fault or (b) you fault. The amount of unfounded "loyalty" from some of the folks is suspicious, to say the least. If I have a bad flight (and there have been a few) I contact customer service. If they "blow me off" I go directly to the CEO (as you did). my contact with the "servants" ends there. I do not stop until I have received either a call or an Email from the "head man". 9 times out of 10, I have spoken to that individual or, at the very least, his next in line.

Never once have I asked to be "Comped" or given anything "Free". However, I make damned sure that the "powers that be" understand that those they employ are lousy at doing their job. We, as customers, owe Princess, or United, or Greyhound Absolutely NOTHING. However, if they expect to keep our business, it behooves them to be forthcoming. If they are not - then make them pay. Lousy customer service is the bain of ANY corporations success (or lack of).

You, as a customer of Princess, have every right to an explanation - whether seasoned travelers like it or not. Most of us do not live on Cruise Ships and most of us, upon returning to our homes, talk to family and friends about our experience, be they good or bad. Best advertisement in the world. Far better than a 70s television show. If my Wife and I (on our upcoming cruise) are treated like you were - I promise you, I WILL throw a fit. We are not hard to get along with, but we have spent a great deal of money (as you, no doubt have). We have a right, as customers to expect to be treated with the same respect that they want from us.

Edited by RandallFlagg

The sad part is it’s not only Princess, my mom has owned a travel agency for 48 years, and has seen it get worse across the board. Trust me, they all act the same way. Oceans, Regent, Princess. All the same Corp structure. Days for responses, and have to call again. It seem to be the culture of the labor force all over. Saying I don’t know..... don’t let this stop you from sailing Princess again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree the op should just let it go. Every cruise line has its own situations on any given week.

I feel lucky to afford cruising and try to brush off stuff as much as I can

• 2 weeks later...

levels of issues:

1) disappointment

2) unpleasant

3) discomfort

4) money lost or extra cost

5) issue of safety

6) issue of health

1 thru 4 are a pain and tough luck

5 or 6 demand serious response

My experience is that service personnel do not understand the levels and

when it comes to the level 5 or higher, they are often insufficiently trained.

example 1: handicapped person on the life jacket drill. no seats or provision. told he had to stand. he could not. I went and got a chair for him. applause. the manager overseeing the drill said I broke federal law.

example 2: improperly cooked food as per the cdc standards. Complaints disregarded. Man died.

Point is that there is no provision to escalate when its a level 5 or higher. Pretty much everyone bails out .all the way to hotel director, food and beverage mgr, captain and security manager...

levels of issues:

1) disappointment

2) unpleasant

3) discomfort

4) money lost or extra cost

5) issue of safety

6) issue of health

1 thru 4 are a pain and tough luck

5 or 6 demand serious response

My experience is that service personnel do not understand the levels and

when it comes to the level 5 or higher, they are often insufficiently trained.

example 1: handicapped person on the life jacket drill. no seats or provision. told he had to stand. he could not. I went and got a chair for him. applause. the manager overseeing the drill said I broke federal law.

example 2: improperly cooked food as per the cdc standards. Complaints disregarded. Man died.

Point is that there is no provision to escalate when its a level 5 or higher. Pretty much everyone bails out .all the way to hotel director, food and beverage mgr, captain and security manager...

I somewhat agree with your levels for most things. I have to say my level would probably fall under 1.

Further, I would have to say that was one of my worst customer relations experiences ever. There have been times when I was told so sorry or so sad and even though I did not like the answer I came to understand it. This was more like shut up and go away.

I dislike most customer service. Most of the time they don’t listen to what you are saying they just think they know what you are going to say and ignore your words.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting. Guess I've been really lucky as my experience has been almost the exact opposite with courteous service and good results. Not 100% of the time but certainly most of the time.

Tom

I have usually had very good luck with Princess customer service, as with most organizations. Might be because at one time I had a customer service organization reporting to me (along with some other departments such as legal, contract, strategic pricing).

There are a few rules I follow:

1. be very clear what your goals are for either information or some other result, and clearly state those goals during your communications with customer service. Keep it short and to the point with critical facts

2. It does no good to get upset with a customer service agent. Agents operate from scripts, systems and FAQ's. If it in one of those sources that they have they will answer it, if it is not then usually the best that they can do is to elevate it to a supervisor. Asking the same question over again does no good. If you push them for an answer they don't have a good customer service agent will say they don't have an answer and forward you to a supervisor. A bad one will just come up with whatever answer that they think will get you off of the phone.

3. At each level of escalation there is a limit to what they are authorized to do and to say. Again if your question cannot be answered at a level, arguing with the person will not help, best thing is to just ask if there is someone else that might be able to answer the question/resolve the issue and if so who is that?

3. Customer service will not and should not talk about another customer and any resolution that they might have received. You can certainly supply that information in your request, but a well trained customer service department should not respond with any information about other customers, neither to confirm or deny.

4. If you are unable to resolve the situation during direct communication, then a well written, focused letter identifying the issue, the steps taken to resolve and your desired solution sent to the appropriate areas in the corporation would probably get the best results. This may include the head of the appropriate department, senior management or in some cases the companies general counsel.

With that keep in mind that most issues raised with a company can be sorted into 3 categories.

1. An issue where a companies policy or level of service was violated. In these cases the company failed to deliver something that their standards indicate that they should have. These are pretty clear and one should get a positive response when raising these issues.

2. An issue where the company delivered according to its policy and standard of service, but the customer did not find that acceptable and wanted some other policy or level of service. Those may or may not get a positive response other to acknowledge the issue that the customer raised. An example of this might be like an airline that guarantees baggage delivery in 20 minutes, but the customer got their luggage within that time, but wanted it sooner. (keep in mind just an example).

3. The third is more a customer type, not an issue itself. This is where they generate a laundry list finding fault with many things and where the company might have fallen short one an item or two, it is clouded with a whole list of other "faults" that the customer things will strengthen their case. We used to label such as CYWG (customers you want gone). These are the ones that are not a good fit for your product, they complain about everything, to customer service, the staff and other customers. You are better off having them go elsewhere because if you try and satisfy them they feel empowered and complain that much more. If they go away then they are your competitors problem and no longer complaining to your customers.

In this case the company promised something that they could not deliver (category 1), but for which there was not a quantifiable value. So the company granted an OBC.

In this case I feel that the OP was asking a question, that while it seemed simple, was one customer service could not answer, unless they had a current written policy for addressing the topic. The decision making for the criteria is something done by Corporate and while customer service might be given a directive authorizing them to grant OBC up to X amount, I would expect that there would also be rules associated with it. They are usually not authorized to discuss the internal corporate directives behind it. Imagine if a company did release such information. The first thing they would find it someone now publishing the criteria to the web and instead of 1 irate customer you now have 5000 calling saying that according to that criteria they should have gotten x, or that the criteria did not take into account Y.

In any case corporations usually will NOT give out their reasoning and logic for there is not benefit for them to do so. First of very few customers will ask. Those that do ask will, in general, search for loopholes as to why they were not treated correctly or argue that other criteria should have been included. All of which just raises the potential for more hard feelings and argument and does nothing beneficial.

Would the OP been satisfied with an answer of "the decision for authorizing OBC was done according to criteria that is not public and that they did received the appropriate amount of OBC for their situation"?

I can understand where the OP is coming from. He asked a simple question and thought the response was inadequate, if not rude so once home he followed it up and got more of the same, or worse. He's just trying to say he doesn't think he was treated with respect.

One of the first things that I have learned from my (admittedly) short time here is that several "seasoned" cruisers believe that ANYTHING a cruise line does to you is (a) you fault or (b) you fault. The amount of unfounded "loyalty" from some of the folks is suspicious, to say the least. If I have a bad flight (and there have been a few) I contact customer service. If they "blow me off" I go directly to the CEO (as you did). my contact with the "servants" ends there. I do not stop until I have received either a call or an Email from the "head man". 9 times out of 10, I have spoken to that individual or, at the very least, his next in line.

Never once have I asked to be "Comped" or given anything "Free". However, I make damned sure that the "powers that be" understand that those they employ are lousy at doing their job. We, as customers, owe Princess, or United, or Greyhound Absolutely NOTHING. However, if they expect to keep our business, it behooves them to be forthcoming. If they are not - then make them pay. Lousy customer service is the bain of ANY corporations success (or lack of).

You, as a customer of Princess, have every right to an explanation - whether seasoned travelers like it or not. Most of us do not live on Cruise Ships and most of us, upon returning to our homes, talk to family and friends about our experience, be they good or bad. Best advertisement in the world. Far better than a 70s television show. If my Wife and I (on our upcoming cruise) are treated like you were - I promise you, I WILL throw a fit. We are not hard to get along with, but we have spent a great deal of money (as you, no doubt have). We have a right, as customers to expect to be treated with the same respect that they want from us.

I agree with your sentiments. After a poor cruise on CB and 'complaining' to Ms. Black (my first e-mail to CS was not responded to) I received calls from their customer service that inflamed me more than the cruise issues.

As a customer I was simply seeking some validation, concern, and respect not hollow platitudes.

A prompt and thoughtful initial response would have kept us as passengers (we had a cruise booked on Regal and previous positive experiences on Grand, Golden, and Sapphire) .

Anyway, too many choices out there to waste my money and patronage on Princess. We will not cruise them again and have booked MSC Yacht club in place of Regal (for not much more money than their balcony) and will continue to cruise X which has met our expectations.

I have usually had very good luck with Princess customer service, as with most organizations. Might be because at one time I had a customer service organization reporting to me (along with some other departments such as legal, contract, strategic pricing).

1. be very clear what your goals are for either information or some other result, and clearly state those goals during your communications with customer service. Keep it short and to the point with critical facts

2. It does no good to get upset with a customer service agent. Agents operate from scripts, systems and FAQ's. If it in one of those sources that they have they will answer it, if it is not then usually the best that they can do is to elevate it to a supervisor. Asking the same question over again does no good. If you push them for an answer they don't have a good customer service agent will say they don't have an answer and forward you to a supervisor. A bad one will just come up with whatever answer that they think will get you off of the phone.

3. At each level of escalation there is a limit to what they are authorized to do and to say. Again if your question cannot be answered at a level, arguing with the person will not help, best thing is to just ask if there is someone else that might be able to answer the question/resolve the issue and if so who is that?

3. Customer service will not and should not talk about another customer and any resolution that they might have received. You can certainly supply that information in your request, but a well trained customer service department should not respond with any information about other customers, neither to confirm or deny.

4. If you are unable to resolve the situation during direct communication, then a well written, focused letter identifying the issue, the steps taken to resolve and your desired solution sent to the appropriate areas in the corporation would probably get the best results. This may include the head of the appropriate department, senior management or in some cases the companies general counsel.

With that keep in mind that most issues raised with a company can be sorted into 3 categories.

1. An issue where a companies policy or level of service was violated. In these cases the company failed to deliver something that their standards indicate that they should have. These are pretty clear and one should get a positive response when raising these issues.

2. An issue where the company delivered according to its policy and standard of service, but the customer did not find that acceptable and wanted some other policy or level of service. Those may or may not get a positive response other to acknowledge the issue that the customer raised. An example of this might be like an airline that guarantees baggage delivery in 20 minutes, but the customer got their luggage within that time, but wanted it sooner. (keep in mind just an example).

3. The third is more a customer type, not an issue itself. This is where they generate a laundry list finding fault with many things and where the company might have fallen short one an item or two, it is clouded with a whole list of other "faults" that the customer things will strengthen their case. We used to label such as CYWG (customers you want gone). These are the ones that are not a good fit for your product, they complain about everything, to customer service, the staff and other customers. You are better off having them go elsewhere because if you try and satisfy them they feel empowered and complain that much more. If they go away then they are your competitors problem and no longer complaining to your customers.

In this case the company promised something that they could not deliver (category 1), but for which there was not a quantifiable value. So the company granted an OBC.

In this case I feel that the OP was asking a question, that while it seemed simple, was one customer service could not answer, unless they had a current written policy for addressing the topic. The decision making for the criteria is something done by Corporate and while customer service might be given a directive authorizing them to grant OBC up to X amount, I would expect that there would also be rules associated with it. They are usually not authorized to discuss the internal corporate directives behind it. Imagine if a company did release such information. The first thing they would find it someone now publishing the criteria to the web and instead of 1 irate customer you now have 5000 calling saying that according to that criteria they should have gotten x, or that the criteria did not take into account Y.

In any case corporations usually will NOT give out their reasoning and logic for there is not benefit for them to do so. First of very few customers will ask. Those that do ask will, in general, search for loopholes as to why they were not treated correctly or argue that other criteria should have been included. All of which just raises the potential for more hard feelings and argument and does nothing beneficial.

Would the OP been satisfied with an answer of "the decision for authorizing OBC was done according to criteria that is not public and that they did received the appropriate amount of OBC for their situation"?

Thank you...this is exactly what I was going to say

Unfortunately, how Customer service treats their passengers often depends on what cabin you are occupying. The policy between companies differ but they always tell you they try and be fair.

Based on our experience, we have been treated very well when we were in a suite. Refunds for unused shore excursions are recognized even if I changed my mind on the very morning of the tour. Once you are in a cabin, the rules suddenly change.

It is sad but it is the truth.

I can understand where the OP is coming from. He asked a simple question and thought the response was inadequate, if not rude so once home he followed it up and got more of the same, or worse. He's just trying to say he doesn't think he was treated with respect.

I agree that the person he was talking with did not handle the call well.

Unfortunately, how Customer service treats their passengers often depends on what cabin you are occupying. The policy between companies differ but they always tell you they try and be fair.

Based on our experience, we have been treated very well when we were in a suite. Refunds for unused shore excursions are recognized even if I changed my mind on the very morning of the tour. Once you are in a cabin, the rules suddenly change.

It is sad but it is the truth.

I don't know about that. 1 trip in a suite, 26 in an inside on Princess. Other than having a separate line at customer service for suites was always treated the same. Now elite so get to use the shorter line.

But then again I never have asked them for anything in violation of printed policy such as returning excursion tickets after the cutoff.

I think the determination of the amount of the OBC was simply determined by the fare paid for the cruise. The more your cruise cost, the more OBC given for the inconvenience of the failure of the Medallion system to function. The why of the amount would have been a corporate decision, not the staff at the front desk.;)

I like your answer to my original post and yes that would have satisfied me. What I expected them to say was that my OBC was based on the category of cabin booked. I would have been most satisfied with that answer at any level of discussion. As it is, I feel that I was lied to at the first level and either brushed off or ignored at higher levels. I am very upset that after emailing the company president a second time I heard nothing more from Princess. Well except for the almost daily requests to book with them again.