Live from the Prinsendam - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer - May 5th, 2018

kazu

I woke up in the morning and the first words when I found some friends were "hurrah - no more tender ports - we can walk off the ship today".

And then, the announcement came and I had to eat my words.

The river that takes us up to Waterford was closed due to fog and the captain couldn't take the P'dam up. (He had warned us that he would disturb us early in the morning tooting as it is foggy, but apparently this was beyond foggy).

So we were going to tender (Yes, TENDER) to a little fishing village and there would be shuttles to the town of Waterford.

Poor Rene was in a complete panic getting all the shore excursions changed and timing changed for the new port.

I just groaned at the thought of another tender and the mess trying to get off, but, fortunately this one went better and we were able to get off in time to meet our guides.

P'dam anchored:

d14ff8b35754ed4dadc0d0d315622ad2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were welcomed to the little spot by and Irish bagpipe player.

The Irish play a slightly different version than the Scottish, I was told (I couldn't tell the difference).

25f42b5cc55ab449d16fe5d711ec2af3.jpg

The previous picture and this one are taken from above. There are steps leading to the top and it is quite the view.

Oops, there is no this pic as tapatalk is burping again. Grrr.

I'll let tap a talk take a rest for a bit and retry. <sigh>

We were welcomed to the little spot by and Irish bagpipe player.

The Irish play a slightly different version than the Scottish, I was told (I couldn't tell the difference).

It is true that the Irish bagpipes are different to the Scottish ones. They are sometimes called the elbow pipes as they have keys played with the elbows that alter the drones, so the drones can provide a different harmonic accompaniment I assume. They are usually played sitting down with the pipes across the knees.

This may be an Irish piper, but they look like Scottish pipes to me.

I'll let tap a talk take a rest for a bit and retry.

You've been having a lot of trouble with Tap-a-Mumble recently. Try opening the I-tunes shop and saying in a loud voice, "I'll just see if I can find anything better than Tap-a-talk" and it might start behaving again.

Don't forget that if you love the Prinsendam, or just enjoy the company of those on this thread, or even if you just enjoy cruising, you can stay in touch on https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=879. There are various threads there, and new ones can be started if required. Roy has done a couple of "Live from" threads in the past. There is also a thread on the Keewatin (a historic lake cruiser - forgive me Allan if I have this wrong) ,and some notes on use of tablets. It is quiet most of the time, but if you find a good itinerary, a post there might tempt some amiable companions to join.

They are usually played sitting down with the pipes across the knees.

I looked for a picture of the Chieftains, a famous Irish group that include an Irish bagpipe (also known as Uilleann pipes) player. I couldn't find an image that showed the pipes well, but in every image he is sitting down. This was the best I could find.

What a plonker! It was only while posting this that I thought of

. The first post I found has a good view of the pipes (once it starts) and you can see the drone keys under his right wrist. After the first piece Paddy Malloney, the piper, introduces the rest of the band and you can hear that delightful Irish brogue again. I hope this doesn't bring back a thirst for a "drop of the black stuff".

If you want to know more Wikipedia has an article (as always). It seems I was wrong about the elbow, it is used to operate the bellows (the scottish pipes are inflated by blowing and the bag squeezed to sound the chanter).

I was wrong

I might also have been wrong about the picture, those could have been the Irish War pipes. Now I have read Wikipedia that seems more likely. This are similar to Scottish pipes (a bag and an inflating pipe), Pipes that are played sitting down wouldn't be much use for playing to march to.

You've been having a lot of trouble with Tap-a-Mumble recently. Try opening the I-tunes shop and saying in a loud voice, "I'll just see if I can find anything better than Tap-a-talk" and it might start behaving again.

LOL - It seems too stall after x number of pics. Just started in Antwerp so, it's worked well other than the fact that it is only letting me do one pic at a time as opposed to the 5 or 6 I used to be able to do.

It might be that particlar pic, but I'll find out in a minute.

The thread needs renaming now.

"Live from the Prinsendam - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer"

should be

"Prinsendam - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer - post cruise"

Nope - no title change ;p. The pics were all taken live, the experiences are live so it's still accurate enough. :*

The previous picture and this one are taken from above. There are steps leading to the top and it is quite the view.

Oops, there is no this pic as tapatalk is burping again. Grrr.

I'll let tap a talk take a rest for a bit and retry. <sigh>

Taking a short break at our hotel where the water, drinks are complimentary after our little hike back and forth to the Van Gogh museum. So trying again:

f645860fb6dabb64835785c2b6abd2b4.jpg

At the top of the abbey

The moss is quite neat. The abbey is NOT being restored but like the friary, maintained.

There are two museum type places where some of the stones uncovered are protected under glass for viewing.

0f63bbad53f35301551c81fc24143a89.jpg

DH's feet are rested and since we are off to the Red Light district, he is anxious to go (LOL), so I'll be back later with more of our day in Waterford.

Live from Amsterdam ;)

0f7f0680db0cf47e8c70c3e0985fd7c9.jpg