Can someone help me wrap my head around debarking in San Juan?

We're going to be on Freedom this November/December and I'm looking to get flights already squared away. I have an option for a 9:15am flight that would save us hundreds from flying later in the day.

Is this even remotely feasible?

This is our first time cruising in/out of San Juan and I know the embarking process can be chaotic. But how bad is it getting off the boat? Any idea what time we could even get off the ship?

We're going to be on Freedom this November/December and I'm looking to get flights already squared away. I have an option for a 9:15am flight that would save us hundreds from flying later in the day.

This is our first time cruising in/out of San Juan and I know the embarking process can be chaotic. But how bad is it getting off the boat? Any idea what time we could even get off the ship?

While that probably would be possible if you carry off your own luggage, I would highly discourage it. We try not to book a return flight before 11:00. We have previously booked a 10:15 knowing we would probably make it but might not. Airline then moved flight up to 9:30. We knew we would have to hustle but decided to try it. The day of debarkation there apparently were some issues as they didn’t start releasing pax until 7:45. I was in tears begging them to let us off to get to airport. (I had gotten word the night before my Mom was in hospital. Luckily we did make it to the 9:30 flight but it was pushing it! Made it home to be with Mom who died 10 days later.)

So while it is possible it is very stressful to chance that early flight.

IMHO nope. For a 9:15 flight you'd need to be at the airport for check-in NLT about 8:00 (and 7:30 would be better). Even carrying your bags off and paying the taxi driver to speed, that's cutting it way too close.

I prefer not to worry about making my flight home while cruising and suggest a flight leaving closer to noon or later to be safe.

If you can save big $$, maybe spend another night or two in San Juan post cruise and then catch the morning flight.

It's your call.

I did the walk off on the Adventure last February and was at the airport by about 7:20. The Adventure had a very efficient system! The Freedom is new to this route, so its procedures are unknown. My flight wasn't until 10:25 and I had a long wait at the airport. However, I would much rather do that cut it close.

I did the walk off on the Adventure last February and was at the airport by about 7:20. The Adventure had a very efficient system! The Freedom is new to this route, so its procedures are unknown. My flight wasn't until 10:25 and I had a long wait at the airport. However, I would much rather do that cut it close.

That's nice...but once you get off the ship you are at the mercy of customs, cab drivers, other idiots that share the road, the TSA, etc.

That's nice...but once you get off the ship you are at the mercy of customs, cab drivers, other idiots that share the road, the TSA, etc.

Agreed, but I would recommend you do some research beforehand and find out how much it should cost you from port to port. That way you know before you go. Knowledge is power.

We also did the self debark just a few weeks ago on AOS and overall it worked well for us...a bit of a wait at the airport but much better than scrambling. We were able to have a nice sit down meal while we were there.

I wouldn’t like to risk a flight that early.

When we left Adventure in March the “self assist” programme was stopped for about 30 minutes because of severe heavy rain. Also, we were told a long time ago by check-in staff at American Airlines in San Juanthat if the luggage isn’t checked in 1 hour and 30minutes before the flight, it doesn’t get on the plane

To me it is a risk because if the ship is late and not cleared by customs,like the others say you have to get in line for carry off to get out quickly.When you get to the airport you have to take your bags to the USDA,if you don't go there the airline cannot check you in.

Would not try it. One time customs decided to do a more thorough check of each passenger. Long delay in leaving. I do understand the issue but if there are any delays you could be stressed and it could ruin the end if your vacation.

My last trip there I was worried about a 10:30am departure (6 flight changes with AA so left me not much choice) but we were in the first walk off group and at our gate just before 9:00am....I would never book as early as you're asking too. I'm ok with my next flight in September that leaves SJU at 11:00am...we'll do the same walk off.

Don't even try it. You will be so stressed! I would never consider a flight that early out of SJ. Even with carrying off your own luggage you are pushing it.

We never book a flight out of SJ before 11 am or later. Would rather sit at the airport than be so stressed the end of my vacation is ruined.

+1 to NO WAY.

FWIW, we fly out of San Juan enough that we have had several delays. Very often things are fine, but, when there are delays they are many hours. There are also not a lot of (good) flights out of San Juan, so when yuou miss your flight, there's a decent chance you'll be extending your vacation.

FWIW, we fly into ORD, and usually take a flight leaving ~3:30.