What broadway play?

George C

30 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Best way to know if you are buying from the OFFICIAL seller is to start at Playbill.com and then find the list of shows and click the Tickets link there.  Lots of "lookalike" sites that do sell legit tickets but add big fees to the price without adding any extra service.  Avoid things like Broadway.com or any site with "Newyork" in the name as they are not the offiical sellers

I was looking at The Neil Simon Theater on line which is where the show is playing. I am guessing if I buy them directly from the theater they would be legitimate sellers.

9 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I was looking at The Neil Simon Theater on line which is where the show is playing. I am guessing if I buy them directly from the theater they would be legitimate sellers.

No!  The theaters do not sell tickets.  Start at Playbill.com and click through.  Most shows are officially sold by Telecharge or SeatGeek, but there are a couple other smaller official sellers, including Ticketmaster..  I believe the Hudson Theater is the only one that sells their tickets on a website named for the theater

There are companies who buy websites like "neilsimontheatertickets.com" that are TOTALLY not legit!

Edited by Nitemare

36 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

No!  The theaters do not sell tickets.  Start at Playbill.com and click through.  Most shows are officially sold by Telecharge or SeatGeek, but there are a couple other smaller official sellers, including Ticketmaster..  I believe the Hudson Theater is the only one that sells their tickets on a website named for the theater

There are companies who buy websites like "neilsimontheatertickets.com" that are TOTALLY not legit!

oh....ok, I will start at Playbill. Thanks🙂

35 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

The following theaters sell tickets at their box office:

Gershwin,Richard Rodgers ,Nederlander

38 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

No!  The theaters do not sell tickets.  Start at Playbill.com and click through.  Most shows are officially sold by Telecharge or SeatGeek, but there are a couple other smaller official sellers, including Ticketmaster.. 

Another way is to go to the web site for the specific theatre/show, which will have a link to their official ticket seller (Ticketmaster, Telecharge, etc.) 

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The following theaters sell tickets at their box office:

Gershwin,Richard Rodgers ,Nederlander

Most theaters sell tickets at the box office.  What @Lois R is trying to do is buy tickets online, and websites that appear to be theater box offices are usually resellers masquerading as the official seller.

You shouldn't buy tickets at www.richardrodgers.com or gershwintheater.com, etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Another way is to go to the web site for the specific theatre/show, which will have a link to their official ticket seller (Ticketmaster, Telecharge, etc.) 

Good advice.  And the safest way to FIND those official sites is starting at Playbill, as there are lookalike sites for shows as well.

Ticketmaster lost most of their Broadway contracts to Seat Geek about a year ago.  They still do Hamilton but not much more

Edited by Nitemare
  • Like 1

When I go to the Neil Simon Theater and I click on tickets  it takes me to "Broadway Direct"......do you know that site?

Re buying tickets at the box office: there was something very special (if you lived in or were visiting NYC of course) about going up to the box office, asking what they had available for a specific date, watching the ticket seller pull out a stack of different colored tickets from the cubby for your date, and then looking at the options spread before you.

Yes, I'm dating myself. It was such a pleasure to do that, especially as a young person.   And you got those nice ticket stubs, too.  🙂  

(Happy to report that I've moved up [or rather, down] from the Rear Mezzanine over the decades.  🙂)

Pippinticketstub.thumb.jpg.ba11b95731663396ba7db8cea6120fbe.jpg

(my notes say: Pippin -- Ben Vereen and John Rubinstein)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

When I go to the Neil Simon Theater and I click on tickets  it takes me to "Broadway Direct"......do you know that site?

Yes.

That is a reseller that looks legit.  But it isn't.  That website "neil simon theater" IS NOT THE WEBSITE FOR THE THEATER.  Please read my prior comments about how to find the Official Seller, which I will repeat here.

If you start at Playbill.com and click the SHOWS link then pick your show (which is MJ) and Box Office Tickets you get taken to the ONLY LEGIT SITE to buy tickets, which is Ticketmaster.  There are many other safe places to buy your tickets, but you will pay extra fees for zero extra benefit.  I don't know why anyone would do that intentionally.

When you go to any other site you are paying too much, plain and simple.   Seat Geek is the official seller for some shows but not this one.  They are likely doing resale here, buying tickets themselves and then reselling for more money, or they are facilitating resale from folks who bought tickets and can't go or who are trying to make a profit.

Edited by Nitemare
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Lois R said:

Ticketmaster shows plenty of seats for the day I am looking at😀 but I will look at Seat Geek too. 

Ticketmaster has a HUGE reseller business that is sold under their Ticketmaster brand so it looks like you are buying first hand from Ticketmaster but it is actually a resell with addtional fees you are paying.

The best advice is Playbill.com or go to TKTS website or app if you just want same day and not choose the show in advance and get a discount. 
Are you a full-time educator? You can join TDF for $40. 

3 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

Ticketmaster has a HUGE reseller business that is sold under their Ticketmaster brand so it looks like you are buying first hand from Ticketmaster but it is actually a resell with addtional fees you are paying.

The best advice is Playbill.com or go to TKTS website or app if you just want same day and not choose the show in advance and get a discount. 
Are you a full-time educator? You can join TDF for $40. 

Hi, nope, not an educator.....I am retired. 

20 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Re buying tickets at the box office: there was something very special (if you lived in or were visiting NYC of course) about going up to the box office, asking what they had available for a specific date, watching the ticket seller pull out a stack of different colored tickets from the cubby for your date, and then looking at the options spread before you.

Yes, I'm dating myself. It was such a pleasure to do that, especially as a young person.   And you got those nice ticket stubs, too.  🙂  

(Happy to report that I've moved up [or rather, down] from the Rear Mezzanine over the decades.  🙂)

Pippinticketstub.thumb.jpg.ba11b95731663396ba7db8cea6120fbe.jpg

(my notes say: Pippin -- Ben Vereen and John Rubinstein)

My first theater experience was being seated in an Orchestra seat ,second row from the stage on a Saturday night.The charge for the ticket was $2.50.I still have the stub.

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, nope, not an educator.....I am retired. 

Are you looking for any restaurant recommendations or hotels ? We have our favorite Italian restaurant booked before Beautiful Noise , glad it’s only 2 blocks from the theater.

24 minutes ago, George C said:

Are you looking for any restaurant recommendations or hotels ? We have our favorite Italian restaurant booked before Beautiful Noise , glad it’s only 2 blocks from the theater.

Hi George, I won't need a hotel. The ship is my accommodation😀  and will let you know about the restaurant. At this point, I don't need anything but thanks so much for asking.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 1:43 PM, Lois R said:

Go to newyork.mjthemusical.com. That’s the official webpage of the show and will give you the info. The tickets for MJ are sold thru Ticketmaster.com

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Go to newyork.mjthemusical.com. That’s the official webpage of the show and will give you the info. The tickets for MJ are sold thru Ticketmaster.com

Good morning, thanks, I figured that all out over the last couple of days.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We went to see three great musicals on Broadway this weekend, Neil Diamonds “beautiful noise” then “some like it hot” and yesterday “ funny girl “ , also highly recommend seeing a show at 54 below which is a nightclub that has some great music.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 9:35 AM, George C said:

We went to see three great musicals on Broadway this weekend, Neil Diamonds “beautiful noise” then “some like it hot” and yesterday “ funny girl “ , also highly recommend seeing a show at 54 below which is a nightclub that has some great music.

We've seen all 3.  We like Neil Diamond songs but didn't think the story was interesting at all.  We did enjoy the other two, although we saw Julie in Funny Girl instead of Lea.

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Reviews were generally Meh to Ugh on that.

I did not see it but last Wednesday night I zoomed a benefit show and one of the performers was the composer from the show.He played and sang several of the songs in the show and I found them enjoyable.

The show has been nominated for several Tony’s including Best Musical.

• Like 1

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

I did not see it but last Wednesday night I zoomed a benefit show and one of the performers was the composer from the show.He played and sang several of the songs in the show and I found them enjoyable.

The show has been nominated for several Tony’s including Best Musical.

They nominated pretty much every new show as they need to fill the categories.   The reviews weren't great and my friend who saw it wasn't impressed.  

So many Good to Great shows out there right now

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

They nominated pretty much every new show as they need to fill the categories.   The reviews weren't great and my friend who saw it wasn't impressed.  

So many Good to Great shows out there right now

I posted on here previously about a cousin of mine who produced a show that opened in Boston to rave reviews.He brought the show to NY.It opened at a theater very close to Broadway,had standing room only at the opening and it bombed.The actors in the production all had good careers .