What broadway play?

George C

Before we left New York we had breakfast at Ellen’s stardust dinner, Ellen’s is staffed by out of work broadway singers and dancers , they constantly perform from morning until past midnight, only problem is line to enter is sometimes a block long. Have been going here for more than a decade.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

If you like creepy/psychological thriller stuff, I HIGHLY recommend Grey House!!!! It's a "straight play" meaning not musical, but it is amazing!! I'm still thinking about it days later!

I did not see this play but I am very familiar with the guy who wrote it.

He is brilliant . The great actress Laurie Metcalf is the star.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 3:55 PM, George C said:

We are older than dirt, I have program from Fillmore East in late 1960’s I believe price was 3.50 and they always had 3 acts .

I just found ticket stubs from the Fillmore East on July 24,1968 (my birthday)

$4.50  to see Hot Tuna and Leon Russell.

We enjoyed Tony show yesterday was happy one of the leads won Tony for best actor in a musical, they also showed lead for Beautiful Noise doing Sweet Caroline and a song from Funny Girl, I wish we could have fit in another show or two but we meet some of my friends from childhood and got together with a bunch of cousins and family .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Bought tickets to Back To The Future. It’s opening soon. It looks enjoyable and fun. Look on Instagram. They are showing them moving into the Winter Garden Theater and rehearsing. 

We saw the marquee for it right by our hotel , please let us know how it was after you see it . 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
12 hours ago, George C said:

We are doing our annual Memorial Day weekend again , any new recommendations for plays ?

Good question!

We have a Kennedy Center gift certificate and need to make a choice or two soon. We haven't made it to Broadway on our last couple of trips (just did two quick nights). 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, George C said:

I might prebuy Hamilton tickets , we have never seen it . Back to the future is across the street from our hotel , anyone see that ?

Back to the Future is one of the Kennedy Center shows we're looking at. People seem to like it, but I haven't seen it.

If you haven't seen Hamilton, though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

I might prebuy Hamilton tickets , we have never seen it .

Never? Oh, please do yourselves a favor and see it. It’s absolutely brilliant.

(I’ve seen it six times live, watched the film capture of the OBC six times through as well as pieces of it countless times when I needed a “fix.”  I did finally give up Disney+ though. 😂)

• Like 1

For folks who don't know about this and might be interested, the "Rodgers & Hammerstein 80th Anniversary Concert" that was performed and filmed last December at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane in London will be available for on-demand streaming in North America starting this evening (March 24) at 7pm ET with a "watch party."  Tickets are $19.99, and entitle you to stream the concert whenever you want, through March 31, 2024.  

Below is the link for information and buying tickets. At the upper right hand side of this web page you can see the entire programme and which stars are singing what -- - it's quite a collection of R&H hits.

https://concert.rodgersandhammerstein.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Never? Oh, please do yourselves a favor and see it. It’s absolutely brilliant.

(I’ve seen it six times live, watched the film capture of the OBC six times through as well as pieces of it countless times when I needed a “fix.”  I did finally give up Disney+ though. 😂)

Agree. Although I'm stuck with Disney+ since they're now the "other than UK" distributor of Doctor Who.

How does a ...

On 3/24/2024 at 8:00 AM, George C said:

I might prebuy Hamilton tickets , we have never seen it . Back to the future is across the street from our hotel , anyone see that ?

This is a good site to get an idea about shows

https://www.show-score.com/

Has all the professional reviews plus individuals review shows and you get nice summaries of what they are about

• Like 1

For anyone who has not yet seen Hamilton ( in person) I highly recommend you make an effort to see it.

Over 50 years and countless Broadway plays in my background, it is my all time favorite.

I do suggest though, that before seeing it, you do a little background reading on his life.

The music and acting is wonderful, but the dialogue is rapid. By knowing his story it is easy to follow.

And if you are in the City beforehand, one of the downtown Hamilton walking tours is very educational and fun!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, trivia addict said:

For anyone who has not yet seen Hamilton ( in person) I highly recommend you make an effort to see it.

Over 50 years and countless Broadway plays in my background, it is my all time favorite.

I do suggest though, that before seeing it, you do a little background reading on his life.

The music and acting is wonderful, but the dialogue is rapid. By knowing his story it is easy to follow.

And if you are in the City beforehand, one of the downtown Hamilton walking tours is very educational and fun!

Just want to add that his grave is in Trinity Church in wall st area short walk from World Trade Center memorial. How is leg room in that theater ? Will definitely get a aisle seat if we go l will make up my mind soon , never heard anything bad but never heard anything bad about Wicked and I didn’t care for it , but liked 90 plus percent of the broadway shows we have seen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George C said:

Just want to add that his grave is in Trinity Church in wall st area short walk from World Trade Center memorial.

We did exactly that -- walked over to Trinity Church after visiting the 9/11 Memorial and Museum.  Not only is Alexander Hamilton buried there, but the grave of his wife, Eliza, is at the foot of Alexander's grave.  And the grave of Eliza's sister Angelica -- a person very important in Alexander's life and in the show --  is nearby. 

Fans of the show know this from one of the lyrics in "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story," as Eliza sings to Hamilton:

"I rely on Angelica
While she's alive, we tell your story
She is buried in Trinity Church near you...."

DSC08238.thumb.JPG.a4d17bc12bdd8f00f5be2dd66bc46bf3.JPG

DSC08239.thumb.JPG.b6f6a35e3b5cf9e4540acb4d265eb2f7.JPG

DSC08240.thumb.JPG.f9c71bf80963e891ee85de557305a189.JPG

GraveofAngelicaSchulyer.thumb.jpg.8604297ef17bfde3366adc73c006e3d4.jpg

DSC08245.thumb.JPG.2009c6a1c491cf7b4faf750adebd8f18.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the Schuyler/ Hamilton history is fascinating. There are many good biographies or historical novels of them all that make good reading. 
Can’t really judge the seating for you, it’s a big theater, but of course, lots of seats! 
And  pictures posted, make me want to take another tour all over again!

I should have posted this last year , we bought tickets to Some like it hot, at the last minute through tkts , tickets were terrible for leg room , I would have been in pain , we talked to a usher to see if we could buy better seats , he checked with management and they put us in a private booth ( that could seat  6) at no extra cost , this kink of booth is normally vip , bottom line it never hurts to ask. 

• Like 1

Like they do it in the movies is an Off Broadway show that will close in two days but if anyone is in NY this weekend and looking for an interesting evening This play starring Laurence Fishburne is my suggestion.