What broadway play?

George C

22 hours ago, Sandyrella said:

Is your list in order of preference or just a list of your favourites.  We've seen a number of these shows and want to see something new so we're looking for something great!  We only get to Broadway once every few years but we do get a lot of Broadway touring shows in Montreal.  Right now we are leaning towards MJ but we can always change our minds.  

These are in order that I found them on a website listing current and soon to be appearing shows.  These are the GOOD ones, there are others that are currently playing that I don't recommend.  We really crammed as much theater down our brains as we could over the past year before moving to the West Coast.

We didn't see MJ because we aren't fans of some of the things he did, and there were other things to see.  We did see the Neil Diamond show in Boston and thought it was very good for Neil Diamond fans, but the "story" was pretty weak

Edited by Nitemare
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, markeb said:

So it was a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm not so concerned with what's playing now as with what will investors support in the future. Phantom is arguably one of the surest things out there, and people apparently haven't come back to it. Still need to see Six (couldn't convince DW to go to the tour at the National Theater). The top of your list are all amazing shows. None were inexpensive to product. Come From Away closes in just over a week. Dear Evan Hanson was a huge success; it closed on Broadway yesterday.

Hamilton, Book of Mormon, and Come From Away are all original (pretty sure the same applies to Six, but I haven't seen it). They were all risky at the time, and part of me worries that risk is heightened now. I'm hoping those worries are misplaced. Disney and jukebox musicals seem safer to investors these days. Although Disney can certainly be massively expensive to produce!

Fingers crossed.

Phantom was popular for a long time with tourists.  And it will play forever in every city with a stage and it will be revived in NYC in the next 10 years.  But a 25 year old is not a sure thing and certainly isn't a risky thing.  1776 in it's new incarnation is risky.  Kimberly Akimbo is risky, and I expect it will fall, but I hope it does well because I want new theater to succeed.  Hadestown was risky. Take Me Out is VERY risky but was a huge hit earlier this year.  We saw it 10 years ago off Broadway and again earlier this year because it is that good and deserves support.  Between Riverside and Crazy is a great story.  So is Topdog/Underdog.  Both shows that played awhile back and are being revived because they are good.

Six is great.  We saw it in Cambridge before it moved to Broadway.  Lots of fun, but it is SHORT.  If you have 8PM tickets, 9:30 dinner will be easy.

42 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I'll be seeing Fiddler in Yiddish later this year.  I've been kicking myself for not seeing it several years ago, and I'm glad to have this second chance. 

We saw that right when it opened.  We were floored by the emotion.  Bring lots of tissues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nitemare said:

1776 in it's new incarnation is risky.  Kimberly Akimbo is risky, and I expect it will fall, but I hope it does well because I want new theater to succeed.  Hadestown was risky. Take Me Out is VERY risky but was a huge hit earlier this year.

I'm really curious how 1776 plays in a post Hamilton world! Never saw it on stage. The movie was sort of surreal! 

Couple you listed I wasn't familiar with. I guess Take Me Out is taking over the Schoenfeld from Come From Away. Is that a fast turnaround? I don't have any experience with installing a new show on Broadway!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, markeb said:

I'm really curious how 1776 plays in a post Hamilton world! Never saw it on stage. The movie was sort of surreal! 

Aging myself again here  🙂   -- I saw the OBC of 1776.  I was in high school, and it was the first show I'd ever seen that really punched me in the gut emotionally.   The same sort of reaction I later had to Sweeney, Les Miz, and Hamilton.  (You can't really judge it by the movie, it just doesn't have the same emotional impact it has on stage.  It's been a long time since I've watched the movie, but I have a recollection of it being somewhat campy.) 

I love the show and the music.  I have tickets to this new production and am looking forward to seeing it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, markeb said:

Couple you listed I wasn't familiar with. I guess Take Me Out is taking over the Schoenfeld from Come From Away. Is that a fast turnaround? I don't have any experience with installing a new show on Broadway!

The new 1776 has casting that seems inspired by the Hamilton casting, but in a different direction.  This version of the show didn't work for me, but I expect it will get an audience for at least a few months.

Come From Away and Take Me Out both have pretty minimal sets and costumes, and the TMO cast doesn't need much rehearsal time as there is only one cast member change from the prior production, so I guess a fast turnaround isn't shocking.

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Aging myself again here  🙂   -- I saw the OBC of 1776.  I was in high school, and it was the first show I'd ever seen that really punched me in the gut emotionally.   The same sort of reaction I later had to Sweeney, Les Miz, and Hamilton.  (You can't really judge it by the movie, it just doesn't have the same emotional impact it has on stage.  It's been a long time since I've watched the movie, but I have a recollection of it being somewhat campy.) 

I love the show and the music.  I have tickets to this new production and am looking forward to seeing it.

My wife and I saw the original production in 1969.We saved the playbills from every play we have ever been to.I like looking at the ones from our early days of going to the theater and see names of unknown actors who became stars.I also have the programs from college productions that we attended all over North America.

57 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife and I saw the original production in 1969.We saved the playbills from every play we have ever been to.I like looking at the ones from our early days of going to the theater and see names of unknown actors who became stars.I also have the programs from college productions that we attended all over North America.

Yup, that was the year.  🙂  

I saved many, though not all, Playbills.  Two years ago, however, when we downsized and moved, some of them just had to go.  I've kept the most meaningful.  I also used to save ticket stubs.  It's remarkable to see how relatively cheap Broadway tickets were in the 60s and 70s.

I agree with you  -- it's fun looking at old Playbills and seeing names of actors who were unknown then and late became stars.

56 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I do that, too! When I was VERY young, I saw the original Sound of Music, but late in the run, not the original cast. The 17-going-on-18 messenger boy was Jon Voight!!!!

I'm not too sure about the all-female 1776. Sounds like "stunt casting," but I will see it as part of my subscription to Roundabout. People kind of roll their eyes and say "boring history, and you know what's going to happen." Yes, you know how it ends, but getting there is dramatic, and like Turtles06, I get that punch in the gut. The founding fathers, for all their flaws, put everything on the line. I get chills just thinking about it. 

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Yup, that was the year.  🙂  

I saved many, though not all, Playbills.  Two years ago, however, when we downsized and moved, some of them just had to go.  I've kept the most meaningful.  I also used to save ticket stubs.  It's remarkable to see how relatively cheap Broadway tickets were in the 60s and 70s.

I agree with you  -- it's fun looking at old Playbills and seeing names of actors who were unknown then and late became stars.

I have ticket stubs from every play we have been to ,every concert and every sporting event.We downsized in 2003 and moved .I got rid of a lot of things but not my collectibles.

In 1967 my wife and I went to see a college production at St.John’s .One of the actors was George Dzundza who has been in many movies and tv shows .

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have ticket stubs from every play we have been to ,every concert and every sporting event.We downsized in 2003 and moved .I got rid of a lot of things but not my collectibles.

Your wife is more understanding than mine.  🤣

(Or maybe you have more space than we do in our condo. LOL!) 

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I do that, too! When I was VERY young, I saw the original Sound of Music, but late in the run, not the original cast. The 17-going-on-18 messenger boy was Jon Voight!!!!

I'm not too sure about the all-female 1776. Sounds like "stunt casting," but I will see it as part of my subscription to Roundabout. People kind of roll their eyes and say "boring history, and you know what's going to happen." Yes, you know how it ends, but getting there is dramatic, and like Turtles06, I get that punch in the gut. The founding fathers, for all their flaws, put everything on the line. I get chills just thinking about it. 

John Voights brother James is better known as singer /songwriter Chip Taylor .Taylor at one time lived with his family in Westchester,NY next door to one of my nieces and her family.Even though he is divorced he is on good terms with his ex-wife and comes to see her and her family at Christmas.Many years ago my niece invited my wife and I on a day when she knew Chip would be at her house and we got the opportunity to meet him .To date I have had several conversations with him .We have yet to meet James Voight .

8 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

We are in a townhouse condo .In one of the closets which is 6’x6’ I have 5 crates filled with the collectibles.I have the playbills in albums in alphabetical order .

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We are in a townhouse condo .In one of the closets which is 6’x6’ I have 5 crates filled with the collectibles.I have the playbills in albums in alphabetical order .

Moving every three years or so for an Army career cleared out a lot of those collectibles. That and newer play and concert tickets are usually delivered on the phone, and if not, they're thermal printed and fade pretty fast. But people's pictures of $2 Springsteen tickets at the Bottom Line in 1975 will always be cool!

Wish I had my Playbill and tickets for Les Mis at the Palace in London in 1995!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, markeb said:

Moving every three years or so for an Army career cleared out a lot of those collectibles. That and newer play and concert tickets are usually delivered on the phone, and if not, they're thermal printed and fade pretty fast. But people's pictures of $2 Springsteen tickets at the Bottom Line in 1975 will always be cool!

Wish I had my Playbill and tickets for Les Mis at the Palace in London in 1995!

I saw Springsteen in Asbury Park,NJ when nobody including me knew who he was.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2022 at 11:36 AM, Turtles06 said:

All our Playbills got thrown out in our recent move.  Tried to donate them but no one wanted them.  Signed ones we kept (in binders).  There are alot of binders!

8 hours ago, Nitemare said:

All our Playbills got thrown out in our recent move.  Tried to donate them but no one wanted them.  Signed ones we kept (in binders).  There are alot of binders!

I do not have any signed ones but I have a Shakespeare in the Park from 1966 starring James Earl Jones ,productions of HAIR from on and off Bway theaters.

On 9/23/2022 at 7:40 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I do not have any signed ones but I have a Shakespeare in the Park from 1966 starring James Earl Jones ,productions of HAIR from on and off Bway theaters.

Some of those old ones are valuable.  Ours went back to the 1980s.  Sold some signed ones, like a Sondheim one (he was at one of his shows) right after he passed away, and a Moulin Rouge one signed by the male lead.  It was from the Boston opening night and we listed it the night he won the Tony award.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, itsanita said:

We have tickets for Music Man on a Wednesday night.....trying to decide what clothes we need to keep out for that outing?  Do people still 'dress up' for the theater?   

Some folks still do, but many don’t. Sort of like “evening chic” dress codes on cruise ships. 🤣