Gratuities

RCI Cruisers 004

Hello,

Just curious as to what others would do. When we booked our cruise, one of the perks was a $300 onboard credit. We aren’t big onboard spenders so I was wondering if I should just use that credit to pay off all our gratuities at the end of the cruise or pay them in advance and keep the credit just in case. Thanks for helpful opinions !

If you know you are not big spenders on board I suggest you use the OBC to apply against the gratuities rather than putting them on your credit card pre cruise. If you do go over the $300 by a bit you are still ahead of the game since the OBC offered by Celebrity is non refundable.

The OBC. If from Celebrity so it’s use it or lose it. It will appear as a credit on your onboard account and anything charged to your account will be deducted from that $300 until it is used up. So daily gratuities,

Bingo, shore excursion,etc.will be charged to the OBC. I ouldnt prepay the gratuities unless you know there is something you plan to spend it for once on the ship.

No, don't prepay. If you really want to get the "expense" out of the way, just take the $300 you'd pay ahead and take it in cash. Now if you go over you can just use it to pay down your account. Like someone else said, if you pay ahead of time and don't use all the $300 then you lose it.

enjoy

Hello,

Just curious as to what others would do. When we booked our cruise, one of the perks was a $300 onboard credit. We aren’t big onboard spenders so I was wondering if I should just use that credit to pay off all our gratuities at the end of the cruise or pay them in advance and keep the credit just in case. Thanks for helpful opinions !

How many days is the cruise and what cabin category are you in, that will determine which of the perks is a better bet.

Hello,

The gratuities will be taken out of your OBC daily not all at once at the end of your cruise. If it's just the two of you cruising then you still will have OBC you will need to spend after allowing for gratuities.

Edited by davekathy

Am I missing something? At the end of the day, it's the same money, as long as the total spending, including the gratuities, is $300. Why not take the uncertainty out of leaving OBC on the table and prepay the gratuities with it? That way, you know it's taken care of, and you know how much you have left to spend of the OBC.

Am I missing something? At the end of the day, it's the same money, as long as the total spending, including the gratuities, is $300. Why not take the uncertainty out of leaving OBC on the table and prepay the gratuities with it? That way, you know it's taken care of, and you know how much you have left to spend of the OBC.

You are right, its probably nothing but I asked how long the cruise was for and the cabin category. Depending on this the gratuities could be more than $300.

I am usually in the same boat when it comes to OBC as I have too much to use up with perks and extra given to me by Celebrity. If it's a 7 day cruise then I would pay the gratuities before I get on the ship. Use the $300 to do stuff that you normally wouldn't do on a ship. I will:

1) Book a specialty restaurant

2) Get laundry done so I don't have to do some of it at home

3) Bring a couple of bottles of wine that I like onboard for dinner

4) Transfer to the airport or shore excursions

5) Duty Free

6) Spa

It's a good problem to have. Enjoy your cruise

You are right, its probably nothing but I asked how long the cruise was for and the cabin category. Depending on this the gratuities could be more than $300.

I agree. We elected gratuities over OBC for our future 14 night New England/Canada cruise.

Am I missing something? At the end of the day, it's the same money, as long as the total spending, including the gratuities, is $300. Why not take the uncertainty out of leaving OBC on the table and prepay the gratuities with it?

I may be mistaken, but I don't think you can use OBC to "prepay", so the OP would have to wait to board before applying the credit to the gratuities.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think you can use OBC to "prepay", so the OP would have to wait to board before applying the credit to the gratuities.

Once upon a time, OBC couldn't be used prior to the cruise. Now you can use it to pay for gratuities, excursions, beverage packages, internet etc... They will post your purchase to your onboard account, rather than require a credit card payment.

Once upon a time, OBC couldn't be used prior to the cruise. Now you can use it to pay for gratuities, excursions, beverage packages, internet etc... They will post your purchase to your onboard account, rather than require a credit card payment.

Yes, it’s about a year now that they allow OBC to be used prior to the cruise. This applies only to Celebrity OBC, not that given by the TA

How many days is the cruise and what cabin category are you in, that will determine which of the perks is a better bet.

We are in a sky suite on a 5 day cruise. You make a good point, I didn’t consider how much gratuities would even be for this length cruise. I’m usually good at figuring out the best plan, but we haven’t had this much OBC before. Thanks