RC Dress Code

We are new to Royal Caribbean lines. I want to confirm we do indeed need to wear suits and formal dresses. We have taken several Carnival cruises and they do not really have formal nights. Well they do not enforce the formal dress. I wanted to know if RC does or do we just wear jeans, dress pants and sundresses? Not so much suit and tie and cattail dresses. Any help is appreciated. We will be on Liberty of the Seas this month.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is curious on what the average lady wears on non formal and formal nights. Not the cut off shorts and t shirt crowd and not the prom dress and tux group. Just middle of the road. Any advice? We are both professionals that have to dress up for our jobs. We don't like to dress up on vacation but don't want to look completely out of place either

My wife is curious on what the average lady wears on non formal and formal nights. Not the cut off shorts and t shirt crowd and not the prom dress and tux group. Just middle of the road. Any advice? We are both professionals that have to dress up for our jobs. We don't like to dress up on vacation but don't want to look completely out of place either

Wear what you are comfortable in. You will not be out of place with whatever you choose.

I wear what is known as "smart casual" almost every night on cruises, and I don't vary from different cruise lines. Evening is slacks (I don't like to wear skirts or dresses, so a skirt could be substituted), a nice tank or cami, and I have a "wardrobe" of lightweight jackets. This way I can take my basic pants and tops, and just add the jacket. Most are chiffon prints that don't wrinkle and don't take up more than a few pounds of luggage weight.

My formal wear is the same type of outfit, but "mother of the bride" type clothing. Again, I have chiffon dress jackets that I can wear with my basic slacks (which are nice knits). I have a 2-piece tank and slacks that are from a fancy 3-piece dressy outfit, and I have 2 other jackets I can wear with it.

I'm a relaxed, close-to-60, Scandinavian woman. I wore jeans, long sleeved t-shirt and a nice, handknitted sweater/cardi on casual nights. Hubby wore jeans, t-shirt and a sweater.

The one formal night he wore a suit, but forgot a white shirt, so just wore a white polo. I had a cotton/silver knee length black dress and a handknit shawl.

We could have done practially anything. I didn't see bare feet and flip-flops for dinner, but basically anything else.

I stopped and asked our head waiter one night about the dress code. I saw a guest at the table next to me wearing shorts. The head waiter told me they are no longer allowed to prevent people wearing shorts or jeans in the dining room. Don’t get me wrong, I am all for someone wearing shorts in the dining room as long as they aren’t dirty or torn. I got spoiled on the last Disney sailing we did because shorts are the norm there. It was so much easier to pack and a lot more comfortable. Disney is superior in service and quality and proves that shorts in the dining room doesn’t lessen the experience. I don’t think RCCL has reached that level yet but it’s good to know if someone were to wear a nice pair of shorts it wouldn’t be out of place.

I stopped and asked our head waiter one night about the dress code. I saw a guest at the table next to me wearing shorts. The head waiter told me they are no longer allowed to prevent people wearing shorts or jeans in the dining room. Don’t get me wrong, I am all for someone wearing shorts in the dining room as long as they aren’t dirty or torn. I got spoiled on the last Disney sailing we did because shorts are the norm there. It was so much easier to pack and a lot more comfortable. Disney is superior in service and quality and proves that shorts in the dining room doesn’t lessen the experience. I don’t think RCCL has reached that level yet but it’s good to know if someone were to wear a nice pair of shorts it wouldn’t be out of place.

That's what I do with lightweight knit slacks and capris. I can pretty much wear them anywhere on a cruise. They are great protecting my legs from the sun all day long, they are great in the Windjammer in the morning, and they work with all my evening clothes.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for someone wearing shorts in the dining room as long as they aren’t dirty or torn.

Let’s play this out following the logic of dress code threads.

Why would you care if someone wears torn or dirty shorts? How does that impact your cruise? After all, it’s that person’s vacation and they should be able to wear whatever they feel comfortable in.

I know everyone always says royal does not enforce the policy but on Vision a few years ago a couple at our table was turned away for the husband wearing shorts on formal night so it is enforced at times. While I don’t wear a tux for formal night I don’t think it is too much to ask of people to dress a little nicer for one or two dinners a week in the main dining room. Resorts all around the world have dress codes (that are strictly enforced) for their restaurants so why get all uptight about a suggested dress code on a cruise.

I know everyone always says royal does not enforce the policy but on Vision a few years ago a couple at our table was turned away for the husband wearing shorts on formal night so it is enforced at times. While I don’t wear a tux for formal night I don’t think it is too much to ask of people to dress a little nicer for one or two dinners a week in the main dining room. Resorts all around the world have dress codes (that are strictly enforced) for their restaurants so why get all uptight about a suggested dress code on a cruise.

Things change greatly in a couple of years.

Let’s play this out following the logic of dress code threads.

Why would you care if someone wears torn or dirty shorts? How does that impact your cruise? After all, it’s that person’s vacation and they should be able to wear whatever they feel comfortable in.

Same difference as meet and clean pants versus torn and dirty ones. Surely you understand this

Same difference as meet and clean pants versus torn and dirty ones. Surely you understand this

How does someone wearing torn pants impact your cruise? It’s their vacation...if they feel comfortable in torn pants that’s their choice.

True, but I bet if you were to go searching back “a couple of years” you would find a thread of people just like us debating the same pointless topic.

Agree but to say what the dress code was a couple of years ago is irrelevant as to what the current practice is.

Agree but to say what the dress code was a couple of years ago is irrelevant as to what the current practice is.

True. However I did not say that it was the current policy. In my experience I have long heard people say it was not enforced. And in my experience I have seen it enforced. That’s all.

I don’t have the vast knowledge as someone with 18,000 posts but please do not twist my words.