No Boarding Pass, No Luggage Tags, No Problem!

Hawaiian

I agree that printing the boarding pass is a waste of paper. Although the paperwork will be asked for, I don't know that it is demanded. I print it because you never know when a port will clamp down on access. All it takes to get your cruise off on the wrong foot is an overzealous port guard or a "credible threat".

You do not need a boarding pass. You can show them the papers with your cruise info (your docs) if they ask. Boarding pass is a waste of paper. They don’t ask for it or need it at the check in counter. They scan your passport and wa la! All of your info is in the computer. They hand you your room key which is your real boarding pass. You are on. Have fun!

What "docs" do you show? If you bother to print those papers (plural was yours), what's one more page or just the one boarding pass page?

I agree that printing the boarding pass is a waste of paper. Although the paperwork will be asked for, I don't know that it is demanded. I print it because you never know when a port will clamp down on access. All it takes to get your cruise off on the wrong foot is an overzealous port guard or a "credible threat".

And there certainly is variation in the "zeal" of port staff. I've seen people pulled aside to search pockets, purse, etc to find the boarding pass. We've been asked to show the boarding pass at the entry to the port. Not sure if its always, but definitely last time. Always asked at the door to the terminal.

I just find it easier to print the one page and have it and passport in hand when we get to the port gate and when we enter the terminal.

I don't think the OP was suggesting that everyone show up en masse without paperwork, but rather intended to be reassuring to those who are having (hopefully temporary) difficulty in printing out documents.

Another HAL Board tempest in a teacup. :')

We don't print anything off any more. Don't bother with boarding passes or baggage tags. We keep note of our reservation number. We used to fill out baggage tags at the dock, now we do carry on and no longer even need to do that. And we certainly do not print out those edocs. We don't want to waste the paper, we don't want to carry reams of paper, and we certainly do not want to endure the frustration and wasted time by trying to navigate some of the cruise line web sites.

In our experience only thing that the cruise line needs is your passport/id, a valid credit card, and your onsite completed health declaration. We have never had a problem getting into any port area.

Whilst HAL may not require the paper boarding pass there are other reasons to have it. Had to produce ours to board an aircraft from Canada to New Zealand to prove we would be leaving New Zealand by means other than a return airline ticket.

Your cruise docs that have your booking #, name, cabin # etc.

and your passport.

I think you're referring to the first page of your edocs ... which is what HAL and most of us call your boarding pass.

Ha ve you arrrived b y taxi to Port Everglades? We always take a taxi form our hotel to the dock and always have to show our psssports at the security guard shacxk at the entrance to the port. I do not want to be the person who has to arrgue with the sheriff while the taxi meter keeps running:) . i cetrainly do not want to risk not being allowed to enter and check in for my cruise.

If yo u have not arrived to Port Everglades in a taxi and do not have a boardig pass................. you cannot know what would happen,

We have never shown a boarding pass at the FLL port entry gate. At most, we flashed a passport. We always arrive by taxi. Never shown a boarding pass at MIA either. Or in San Diego, Vancouver, Rome, Barcelona, or Istanbul.

Ha ve you arrrived b y taxi to Port Everglades? We always take a taxi form our hotel to the dock and always have to show our psssports at the security guard shacxk at the entrance to the port. I do not want to be the person who has to arrgue with the sheriff while the taxi meter keeps running:) . i cetrainly do not want to risk not being allowed to enter and check in for my cruise.

If yo u have not arrived to Port Everglades in a taxi and do not have a boardig pass................. you cannot know what would happen,

As you say, you can show your passport when entering Port Everglades. While I always print and have with me a copy of my boarding pass, I've never been asked for it when entering this or any other cruise port.

The so called cruise line boarding pass has zero security attributes. It is nothing more than a print out from a cruise line web site.

Anyone with very few computer skills could make one up and print it out. This is why it is really a meaningless piece of paper, not a document, from a security perspective.

Whilst HAL may not require the paper boarding pass there are other reasons to have it. Had to produce ours to board an aircraft from Canada to New Zealand to prove we would be leaving New Zealand by means other than a return airline ticket.

I've had a similar experience when I was taking a trans-At. I was very thankful I had all four boarding passes for the continuous cruises, as they confirmed where each cruise started and ended, and that the final cruise brought me back to America.

I have also seen people pulled out of line in Vancouver when they didn't have a paper boarding pass; it was on their phone. That wasn't good enough.

I have no idea what happened to them, as they were sent off somewhere else to wait until their situation was resolved (I hope).

Even if they did finally board their ship, there was at least a delay, and presumably some added stress for them.

They are even more interested in people in private cars. IIRC the last time we entered the large electronic sign above the gate said to have your boarding pass ready. I've often wondered what Uber/Lyft drivers or just friends coming in to pick up debarking passengers have to show.

They are even more interested in people in private cars. IIRC the last time we entered the large electronic sign above the gate said to have your boarding pass ready. I've often wondered what Uber/Lyft drivers or just friends coming in to pick up debarking passengers have to show.

In taxis I’ve never been asked at the port to show my boarding pass...however in Lyft or Uber ( my new go to ride in FLL ) I always have been asked ( but not had to show ID )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Friends picking us up at PE simply showed their driver's license.

I have never seen them log anything at FLL. They sometimes take the briefest of looks at our passport and wave us through. Sometimes so brief that they do not even have time to check the expiry date, let alone any other details.

This is not like the airport. Security starts at the dock/cruise line check in.

I have never seen them log anything at FLL. They sometimes take the briefest of looks at our passport and wave us through. Sometimes so brief that they do not even have time to check the expiry date, let alone any other details.

This is not like the airport. Security starts at the dock/cruise line check in.

I'm trying to think of any other US port we've departed from that even has any security for the entire port area. In our second most common port, Tampa, the terminals are right on city streets or unguarded drive loops. Same in Manhattan. In Port Canaveral there are signs that that say "commercial vehicles only" going up to the terminals we've used, but everybody simply ignores them when picking up or dropping off friends. So I wonder why PE bothers, considering that it's really pretty lax.

What sort of document should a friend or relaitve picking up ship pasengers be able to produce showing they have a valid reason to be driving round Port Everglade//? They can't ban private cars entry but where is any sort of 'real' secuity dealing with THem?

I'm trying to think of any other US port we've departed from that even has any security for the entire port area. In our second most common port, Tampa, the terminals are right on city streets or unguarded drive loops. Same in Manhattan. In Port Canaveral there are signs that that say "commercial vehicles only" going up to the terminals we've used, but everybody simply ignores them when picking up or dropping off friends. So I wonder why PE bothers, considering that it's really pretty lax.

The ports at Charleston, SC and Boston are also right on city streets, so the only security is what the terminal building provides.

t

Boston's Black Falcon cruise Terminal has City of Boston police at Tdoors nearby the porters location where arriving pax and their luggage are dopped off. I seem to recall gthere are also State pOLICE troopers present . There is no particular restriction to vehicles driiven up to the germinal b ut given the logistics of the port area, it is hard to limit acccess. to cars.

I don't think the OP was suggesting that everyone show up en masse without paperwork, but rather intended to be reassuring to those who are having (hopefully temporary) difficulty in printing out documents.

Another HAL Board tempest in a teacup. :')

That's the way I read it too. This thread parallels the political discussions in this country nowadays. Very few seem interested in taking a measured stance but polarizing the issue from opposite extremes. Here we have those that believe the documents are complete BS and those that believe if you are not blindly following the rules, then you are harming the support personnel at the port.

As I mentioned, we have often been asked to show our boarding pass to ENTER the terminal in FLL. last month, for the first time, gentlemen SCRUTINIZED everyone’s BP. Maybe they were overzealous, maybe they were looking for something in particular.

Here’s the deal: Do whatever YOU want to do but please step aside if you are held up, even momentarily, so that we can get by. Lol