Stays in Southampton and coach transfers

Presto2

This may sound totally ridiculous but we are wondering if it is possible to get an included P&O coach transfer that takes you to Southampton the day before you sail IF there is another shipping sailing that day.

We always love our over night stays in Southampton but that means coming down by car --- a few horrible journeys under our belt recently and hubby is not too convinced about it..

Last year we did our first coach transfer and it was perfect. We thought that it would be great to be able to use the P&O coach transfer and still be able to stay for a night or 2 post cruise. We know that the coach would take us to the terminal etc and realise that the transfer would have to coincide with when another ship was sailing.

Has anyone ever tried this one or are we totally balmy just to even ask :o

Have you thought about the train?

I see you are in Stoke-on-Trent. We go down by train from Manchester Piccadilly, direct train, the same one you could get. It takes just over 4 hours for us so a bit less for you. We go the day before and stay in a hotel. We are more relaxed then for embarkation.

It costs us more but far less stressful than driving down. We have also tried the coach but it takes a long time and doesnt pick up close to us.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the replies. Have had a look at train prices but it is coming out at £400 return but that doesn't include hotel stay or taxi transfers. Eeeķk

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

I have thought the same for years, a coach down one or two days before would be ideal. Have you asked Eavesway? It may mean a taxi to the hotel from a terminal. I cannot see them turning down business.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Had a look at the National Rail website and an Advance single is £57 each, so more like £200 than £400!

Would Eavesway coaches be any good? They used to be P&O’s official coach company and still are for Fred Olsen. I believe they also offer ‘unofficial’ coach services for other lines. Check out their website perhaps.

Thanks for the replies. Have had a look at train prices but it is coming out at £400 return but that doesn't include hotel stay or taxi transfers. Eeeķk

Have you looked at Superbreak.com, they do hotel and rail inclusive breaks but I am not sure on the validity of the return rail portion. It is less than your figure. I did a random booking on a Manchester departure with a one night Southampton stay for a ball park figure and they gave a range of Southampton hotels. You would need to phone and make sure return rail date of later was valid.

Regards John

We booked our train tickets as soon as they were available and with our rail discount card return was £48 each.

The Premier Inn at Cumberland Place cost us £54 so not too bad. We haven't stayed here before but it is only just over a mile from the cruise terminal and close to the station so shouldnt cost too much for taxi.

Had a look at the National Rail website and an Advance single is £57 each, so more like £200 than £400!

Would Eavesway coaches be any good? They used to be P&O’s official coach company and still are for Fred Olsen. I believe they also offer ‘unofficial’ coach services for other lines. Check out their website perhaps.

Hi, hubby has said that this is not a direct transfer re the £57 one as you have to change at Euston --- no chance.

Good idea re Eavesway as we used them last year and they were brilliant. Thanks for you and Dai for this idea. Don't laugh, this won't be for an up coming cruise but planning ahead for the future !!!

This has really given us something to think about

:-)

Have you looked at Superbreak.com, they do hotel and rail inclusive breaks but I am not sure on the validity of the return rail portion. It is less than your figure. I did a random booking on a Manchester departure with a one night Southampton stay for a ball park figure and they gave a range of Southampton hotels. You would need to phone and make sure return rail date of later was valid.

Regards John

Thanks, will check that one out too. We love to stay at the HolidayInn as we love the big windows and watching the ships come and go. Nothing like waking up at 5.30am and watching your ship arrive and dock ready for your cruise ;-)

We booked our train tickets as soon as they were available and with our rail discount card return was £48 each.

The Premier Inn at Cumberland Place cost us £54 so not too bad. We haven't stayed here before but it is only just over a mile from the cruise terminal and close to the station so shouldnt cost too much for taxi.

Hi, just asking if this was direct and in peak season? Thanks

We stayed at thr Premier inn in Cumberland Place, Southampton and were very impressed.We paid £35 for the night! We walked from Southampton train station as it is only half a mile and a taxi to the port cost us £8. The staff seemed very friendly and as it only opened earlier this year everything was clean and fresh.

Re: #1 We have used the train from SOT to Soton. There is a two-hourly direct service via Brum and Oxford commencing at 6:08. Just got a quote of £206 return for two. Look at The man in seat 61 site.

Hi, hubby has said that this is not a direct transfer re the £57 one as you have to change at Euston --- no chance.

Good idea re Eavesway as we used them last year and they were brilliant. Thanks for you and Dai for this idea. Don't laugh, this won't be for an up coming cruise but planning ahead for the future !!!

This has really given us something to think about

:-)

No, that price was for a direct train with no changes. It did not go via Euston.

Hi, just asking if this was direct and in peak season? Thanks

It is for our cruise in 2 weeks time on 20th May and is direct with no changes. We booked the tickets 12 weeks before as soon as the advance fares became available.

If you look at the main national rail site you can get an off peak return for about £100pp.If you have a railcard it takes a third of the cost off.If you buy an advance ticket to travel on a particular train you will be able to travel a lot cheaper.(It varies by time of day etc and how far in advance you book)Tickets go on sale 13 weeks before day of travel. There are some direct trains from Stoke to Southampton or some where you just change at Bristol.We tend to stay the night before in southampton and travel down the day before on the direct train(from Chesterfield-only roughly one a day for us)and buy an advance ticket to leave Southampton at about 10am

We stayed at thr Premier inn in Cumberland Place, Southampton and were very impressed.We paid £35 for the night! We walked from Southampton train station as it is only half a mile and a taxi to the port cost us £8. The staff seemed very friendly and as it only opened earlier this year everything was clean and fresh.

That's good to know. We have two more stays booked for later in the year. £48 in July and £33 in september, much cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

I always use the train the day before. It costs about half of the coach with a railcard if you do a "booked train only" advance. Of course the risk you run is of having to buy a new ticket IF the ship is late in, but it's only happened to me once in over 20 years. Typical return fare from the North East around £100.

Hi, I’m surprised by some of the train fares quoted on this thread. I’m booked from Newcastle upon Tyne first class return for only £200. Train fares do seem to vary just about as much as cruise fares, so you do need to keep an eye on them, but the best (cheapest) time to book seems to be 12 weeks before travel. Hope you find something suitable.

Trainline offer the cheapest prices and release advance tickets 12 weeks in advance, railcards can be well worth their money as you generally save 1/3rd on any fare and if your travelling with children on a friends and family railcard they travel for 1/6th of the price of the fare, on our recent cruise we travelled down the day before (from Manchester) enjoyed a lovely night in Southampton, we booked as soon as the tickets were released and paid £53 each way for the three of us and managed to get a family room at the Jurys Inn for £60, all in all it was a most pleasurable experience and we felt great arriving at the terminal nice and refreshed without the ordeal of travelling down on the day and the worry that accompanies that.

Trainline offer the cheapest prices and release advance tickets 12 weeks in advance, railcards can be well worth their money as you generally save 1/3rd on any fare and if your travelling with children on a friends and family railcard they travel for 1/6th of the price of the fare, on our recent cruise we travelled down the day before (from Manchester) enjoyed a lovely night in Southampton, we booked as soon as the tickets were released and paid £53 each way for the three of us and managed to get a family room at the Jurys Inn for £60, all in all it was a most pleasurable experience and we felt great arriving at the terminal nice and refreshed without the ordeal of travelling down on the day and the worry that accompanies that.

Trainline are useful for research, but they are not the cheapest as they charge a booking fee. There is no booking fee if you book through the National Rail website. Tickets are the same price on both sites.

Trainline are useful for research, but they are not the cheapest as they charge a booking fee. There is no booking fee if you book through the National Rail website. Tickets are the same price on both sites.

Advance tickets go live on Trainline 1st, we paid £1.50 booking fee to print the tickets off at the station but they now offer a free e-ticket that you can print off at home.