Carnival Dream Flooded

MikeMA

There's one video posted to YouTube. It shows the hallway and the crew bailing water (from the screenshots), plus a little more. But it doesn't show any sparks flying.

Yes you are correct I guess. But if this was binding every time someone handed someone there phone or camera on a ship to take a picture, the stranger would have copyrights to that photo. So make sure you find them and get permission to use them lol. I get it and if you want to get technical you got me lol. Bottom line is at least up here in MA the courts have spoken and I don’t feel I needed permission, nor will I worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is the latest statement:

On Thursday,May 3 at approximately 6 pm,there was a water line break on Carnival Dream that impacted guests inapproximately 50 staterooms on Deck 9. Our onboard teams began cleanupimmediately related to this clean water from a fire suppression system.

Impactedguests will receive a full 100 percent refund of their cruise fare, a 50percent future cruise credit and the option to disembark the ship today if theychoose with air transportation to return home. We appreciate our guests’understanding and sincerely apologize. We also thank our crew members for theirquick action and hard work.

CarnivalDream is on a seven-day Western Caribbean cruise that departed New Orleans onSunday, April 29. We don’t expect any impact on the next cruise.

I applaude Carnival for getting in front of this quickly. The swift and transparent communication from you is refreshing, compared to a few past incidents where people felt like they were left in the dark. Keep up the good work and thank you!!

Yes you are correct I guess. But if this was binding every time someone handed someone there phone or camera on a ship to take a picture, the stranger would have copyrights to that photo. So make sure you find them and get permission to use them lol. I get it and if you want to get technical you got me lol. Bottom line is at least up here in MA the courts have spoken and I don’t feel I needed permission, nor will I worry about it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of the people arguing you should've gotten permission. Once someone posts it to the internet, they need to accept that it's out there, usually for the world to see. Most people just want their 15 minutes of fame nowadays anyway, so they don't care that it gets spread around. I was just making the point that the lady didn't have to officially copyright the video in order for it to actually be copyrighted. It's binding, but I guess you can say it's only as binding as much as someone wants to pursue it legally.

It's happened before on Carnival and other lines. It's rare, but ships do a lot of flexing and torquing by nature so leaks at joins overall are not uncommon, just a full breach of this magnitude. If not at a joint, it will be most likely a manufacturing issue, which can happen at 1 week or 10 years.

On a pressure line, it doesn't take a very big hole to make a very big flow until the pressure is shut off.

Also to reference an earlier post, it is likely there were some initial sparks and smoke as the water contacted charged elements, but the breakers would have kicked in quickly, and such items would not have been consequential.

The Dream's maiden voyage was Sept, 2009, so it is approaching 9 years old. I tend to think of it as a fairly new ship, so plumbing breaks seem rare. Anyone hear of this happening on any other ship?

There's a difference between copyright and credit. When someone posts something publicly, the general assumption is it can be used for non-commercial means - i.e. posting it on here is fine, but not selling the snaps to a new organization.

However, when you post something from someone elses work you should ALWAYS credit the original source.

Example: Screencaps taken from a video posted on facebook by John Smith in the Friendly Carnival Cruisers group on May 3. Include a link to original post where possible. Otherwise the legal implication is you are claiming ownership of the work and that's problematic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of the people arguing you should've gotten permission. Once someone posts it to the internet, they need to accept that it's out there, usually for the world to see. Most people just want their 15 minutes of fame nowadays anyway, so they don't care that it gets spread around. I was just making the point that the lady didn't have to officially copyright the video in order for it to actually be copyrighted. It's binding, but I guess you can say it's only as binding as much as someone wants to pursue it legally.

Exactly....People just need to mind their own business. Its not their issue. Its a Cruise critic and moderator issue. They can remove if they feel its not appropriate. Geez....this site is just getting so "pissy"

What do they do with all the passengers whose cabins were flooded? It's not like they have a bunch of empty cabins to put them in.

A friend and I sailed on the Triumph few years back. Right after midnight midway on the cruises,a were up talking when this small wave of water came into the room from the hallway. It was a *** moment to say the least. We called to guest services and were told they were aware and within minutes,crew was knocking on doors in the area to check on people.

Due to it being a full ship, We couldn't move to another cabin. Housekeeping did attemp to remove much water as possible and we had to have those large fans in the cabin. Needless to say it was not very pleasant and we really stated out of the cabin. Also bad I was with a friend who was cruising for the first time,not a great impression.

In the end, Carnival did rather fair. We got 50% returned back to us, our sail and sign paid (if I knew this would had really spent) and 15% off a future cruise.

At first it was uncertain what or if they would do anything and some folks were making big scenes at guest services. We on the other hand were polite,but firm. Thanked even for the smallest thing,yet took names for who we talked to.

The sign and sail was zero out the final night. While the guest services and Hotel manager stated that corporate would handle anything else,we requested the name of his manager and anyone else to contact.

We both email and FedEx a letter about the water issue and talked to several people. Within two weeks,receivec our refund and promotion for future cruise.

Now this was 2010 or 2011 so not sure what they will do. But we were very clear on not liking to sleep in a hot cabin (even with air on,the fans took over),loud sound of the fans, loss of space and smelly swish floor.

Hopefully Carnival will do right by them

Very impressed with how Carnival has immediately offered help and compensation to effected passengers.

I was on the NCL Sun Panama Canal cruise from hell. Horrible they have only offered a cruise credit.

Read Carnival has offered flights home, 100% REFUND and 50% credit for future cruise. WOW! WTG!

Impactedguests will receive a full 100 percent refund of their cruise fare, a 50percent future cruise credit and the option to disembark the ship today if theychoose with air transportation to return home.

Very fair! Good job Carnival!

I can give good inside on the picture sharing via social media. I am not going to waste my time typing it. I keep getting Trolled by CC and all my post disappear. Glad all are getting cash for the trip ..

Hopefully this puts the side conversation to bed. Ref the reposting of online photos.....the OP's reposting of the photos is perfectly legal and does not require the owner's permission because it falls under "fair use." The OP is not profiting. It was posted in this thread for the purpose of reporting news and for the OP to comment on.

Very impressed with how Carnival has immediately offered help and compensation to effected passengers.

I was on the NCL Sun Panama Canal cruise from hell. Horrible they have only offered a cruise credit.

Read Carnival has offered flights home, 100% REFUND and 50% credit for future cruise. WOW! WTG!

Hope they have passports!

On Thursday,May 3 at approximately 6 pm,there was a water line break on Carnival Dream that impacted guests inapproximately 50 staterooms on Deck 9. Our onboard teams began cleanupimmediately related to this clean water from a fire suppression system.

Impactedguests will receive a full 100 percent refund of their cruise fare, a 50percent future cruise credit and the option to disembark the ship today if theychoose with air transportation to return home. We appreciate our guests’understanding and sincerely apologize. We also thank our crew members for theirquick action and hard work.

CarnivalDream is on a seven-day Western Caribbean cruise that departed New Orleans onSunday, April 29. We don’t expect any impact on the next cruise.

Wow. Can't ask for more than that. Kudos, Carnival!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

I am a law enforcement officer in MA and we’ve had instances where this has come up. Without getting in too deep, I will say this has held up in MA Courts. “When you post content on your Facebook page, you have the ability to configure privacy options regarding who can view that content. According to Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, any image posted with public settings carries the implicit acknowledgment that said photo is available for access and use by anyone including people and entities not on Facebook.” We’ve had many instances in both criminal cases involving possible harassment and civil cases involving businesses. (Family court as well). The only exception was if the person using the photos was to do so to defame the person who originally posted the photo. Otherwise the court said if the intent of the photo was to share what the original poster wanted shared, then there is no tort.

Facebook does try to help people or companies maintain their copyright and trademarked images but this doesn’t apply here since the poster did not trademark or copyright her pics/video. In contrast she stated I wanted to share this to “everyone” in case you have a trip on this ship coming up.

Anyhow, the post was meant to be helpful to anyone sailing on the Dream soon. Hopefully it was. As for those who want to focus on the other stuff feel free, but I am not the least bit concerned.

I agree that because of her post, it is free to post. However, you do not have to file a copyright to have copyright protection. And regardless of Facebook rules, you could still be sued for infringement if you use someone else’s photo. Like you said though, this would not apply in this instance and really should not even matter. I have seen and been in court when people got sued for using someone else’s photos regardless of them being public. In this post, this lady did not take credit for the work either so in no way is she committing copyright infringement! She gave credit where credit was due!

I can only imagine how many criminals you watch hang themselves over what they post on Facebook. People just don’t get it!

Several people on the ship are saying on Facebook that they are unaware of this happening. Has anyone seen an official post of someone on the ship that is witnessing this? Or a statement from Carnival? I want to post about it but don't want to sensationalize something that may not be true.

If you scroll up on the thread there is a statement from someone that says they work at Carnival.

Just to clarify, photos/videos are automatically copyrighted the moment you snap the shot or record the video. So yes, the photos/videos are copyrighted, regardless of what that person wants to happen with them.

You are exactly right. The moment they are created you gain copyright/trademark protection. It is just in your best interest to file them and have them recorded with the correct government entity.

Good grief! How many more posts/responses are there going to be re: the photos/video? I can't imagine how you enforcers are even able to enjoy your everyday lives if this gets you so uptight. Let it go and post something interesting! 🤨

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Only on CC can a thread about an incident turn into an argument about whether or not it’s legal to post photos/videos. Anyway, great job by Carnival taking immediate action compensating the affected passengers. Very generous offer.

I am thinking of a cruise on the Dream in October. Do you think repairs would be done in time? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

it will be done before the next cruise

Well done Carnival. That does give me the warm fuzzies about them - too often we see cruiselines nitpicking some percentage as a refund, after a cruise has been horribly disrupted. The others could learn from this.

I am thinking of a cruise on the Dream in October. Do you think repairs would be done in time? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The repairs will be done by Sunday when it goes on its next cruise I know you are good