Carnival Dream Flooded

MikeMA

Wow, we are leaving tomorrow for a cruise this weekend. Woke up today and one of our toilets backed up. I thought "great" something always goes wrong before a vacation. However, I saw these pics and realized that the ships have problems too and a great crew to take care of them. I can see the Carnival is already in damage control but I understand that stuff happens. Good luck Dream cruisers.

Actually, just because someone posts something and sets it to public, does not mean you have the right to screenshot or share it. It does not matter if it is in a public group, the post is set to public or if it is all over the internet. There are still copyright laws. However, with that being said, I seriously doubt that the person that shared this video would have any issue, as they probably want this to go viral, and more than likely asked people to share the video for that very reason. I should know I work for a IP firm.

Several people on the ship are saying on Facebook that they are unaware of this happening. Has anyone seen an official post of someone on the ship that is witnessing this? Or a statement from Carnival? I want to post about it but don't want to sensationalize something that may not be true.

Several people on the ship are saying on Facebook that they are unaware of this happening.

this issue is on deck 9 a passenger cabin deck. it has no effect on the ship elsewhere. the ship is still running business as usually.

i know for me, i very rarely visit other cabin decks if my cabin is not on it. so if something happens on deck 9 and my cabin is on like 6..an issue on deck 9 is not going to effect me

Several people on the ship are saying on Facebook that they are unaware of this happening. Has anyone seen an official post of someone on the ship that is witnessing this? Or a statement from Carnival? I want to post about it but don't want to sensationalize something that may not be true.

Back up a bit to post 5 on this thread.

John Heald posted about it (in comments on an unrelated post, not on its own), so I think it's safe to say it's legit.

Right here in this thread. Official statement from Carnival.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55994515&postcount=5

They have them sleeping on yoga mats in the health club according to the woman who posted the photos.

I get there is nothing Carnival can do, but I would be so upset if I had to sleep on yoga mats with a bunch of strangers. What about people that have health problems or are elderly? Does anyone know how many days are left on the cruise? Personally, I would demand to be flown home at the next port. There is no way I could spend my cruise like that.

Does anyone know how many days are left on the cruise? Personally, I would demand to be flown home at the next port. There is no way I could spend my cruise like that.

The cruise is almost over. The ship should be at Cozumel today and then back to New Orleans on Sunday

Good Morning Everyone,

We sincerely apologize to the guests in the approximately 50 staterooms on Deck 9 of the Carnival Dream who have been impacted by a water line break. Our crew is working hard to provide extra courtesies and accommodations for this inconvenience.

Thanks so much! Any word on the effect it will have on those of us who are boarding Sunday? I am confident in Carnival and will make the best of any situation so we can enjoy our cruise!

Thanks so much! Any word on the effect it will have on those of us who are boarding Sunday? I am confident in Carnival and will make the best of any situation so we can enjoy our cruise!

Good Morning,

We aren't expecting it to impact future sailings; I'm waiting on an updated statement and will post as soon as I receive it.

Good Morning,

We aren't expecting it to impact future sailings; I'm waiting on an updated statement and will post as soon as I receive it.

You're the best! Thanks.

Last ship I was on...and haven't cruised since, already smelled of mold then and it's the only cruise out of 16 where we all came home sick. Not saying I won't get back to it at some point but that trip made me take pause and explore other vacation options for a bit.

Actually, just because someone posts something and sets it to public, does not mean you have the right to screenshot or share it. It does not matter if it is in a public group, the post is set to public or if it is all over the internet. There are still copyright laws. However, with that being said, I seriously doubt that the person that shared this video would have any issue, as they probably want this to go viral, and more than likely asked people to share the video for that very reason. I should know I work for a IP firm.

I am a law enforcement officer in MA and we’ve had instances where this has come up. Without getting in too deep, I will say this has held up in MA Courts. “When you post content on your Facebook page, you have the ability to configure privacy options regarding who can view that content. According to Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, any image posted with public settings carries the implicit acknowledgment that said photo is available for access and use by anyone including people and entities not on Facebook.” We’ve had many instances in both criminal cases involving possible harassment and civil cases involving businesses. (Family court as well). The only exception was if the person using the photos was to do so to defame the person who originally posted the photo. Otherwise the court said if the intent of the photo was to share what the original poster wanted shared, then there is no tort.

Facebook does try to help people or companies maintain their copyright and trademarked images but this doesn’t apply here since the poster did not trademark or copyright her pics/video. In contrast she stated I wanted to share this to “everyone” in case you have a trip on this ship coming up.

Anyhow, the post was meant to be helpful to anyone sailing on the Dream soon. Hopefully it was. As for those who want to focus on the other stuff feel free, but I am not the least bit concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by MikeMA

Good morning Mischelle,

Thank you for responding to the post. I do have a question however. A guest has a clear video of sparks flying into the hallway yet Carnival is denying that any sparks or smoke occurred. Why are they not being transparent on the matter? Thank you in advance for any response.

There's one video posted to YouTube. It shows the hallway and the crew bailing water (from the screenshots), plus a little more. But it doesn't show any sparks flying. Edited by Organized Chaos

The Dream's maiden voyage was Sept, 2009, so it is approaching 9 years old. I tend to think of it as a fairly new ship, so plumbing breaks seem rare. Anyone hear of this happening on any other ship?

There's one video posted to YouTube. It shows the hallway and the crew bailing water (from the screenshots), plus a little more. But it doesn't show any sparks flying.

It’s not on YouTube a guest posted it on her FB page. I clearly saw sparks and smoke coming from an outlet in the hall. I’m sure this video will surface on cruise critic soon. She stated she is having spotty internet just like the woman who posted the other video.

Here is the latest statement:

On Thursday,May 3 at approximately 6 pm,there was a water line break on Carnival Dream that impacted guests inapproximately 50 staterooms on Deck 9. Our onboard teams began cleanupimmediately related to this clean water from a fire suppression system.

Impactedguests will receive a full 100 percent refund of their cruise fare, a 50percent future cruise credit and the option to disembark the ship today if theychoose with air transportation to return home. We appreciate our guests’understanding and sincerely apologize. We also thank our crew members for theirquick action and hard work.

CarnivalDream is on a seven-day Western Caribbean cruise that departed New Orleans onSunday, April 29. We don’t expect any impact on the next cruise.

Here is the latest statement:

On Thursday,May 3 at approximately 6 pm,there was a water line break on Carnival Dream that impacted guests inapproximately 50 staterooms on Deck 9. Our onboard teams began cleanupimmediately related to this clean water from a fire suppression system.

Impactedguests will receive a full 100 percent refund of their cruise fare, a 50percent future cruise credit and the option to disembark the ship today if theychoose with air transportation to return home. We appreciate our guests’understanding and sincerely apologize. We also thank our crew members for theirquick action and hard work.

CarnivalDream is on a seven-day Western Caribbean cruise that departed New Orleans onSunday, April 29. We don’t expect any impact on the next cruise.

Outstanding response by Carnival. Thank you Mischelle

Facebook does try to help people or companies maintain their copyright and trademarked images but this doesn’t apply here since the poster did not trademark or copyright her pics/video. In contrast she stated I wanted to share this to “everyone” in case you have a trip on this ship coming up.
Just to clarify, photos/videos are automatically copyrighted the moment you snap the shot or record the video. So yes, the photos/videos are copyrighted, regardless of what that person wants to happen with them.