Carnival Dream Flooded

MikeMA

Glad i come here for cruise advice and not legal advice. My favorite today..if you take a picture it is automatically copyrighted. Hahaha. If we write something here is it automatically copyrighted?? :eek:
You were trying to be what, funny? Thought you were outsmarting someone with your "witty" comment? Only to find out it backfired when you realized that I was telling the truth about copyright. Is that why you edited out the last part of your post? The trick is, you have to catch it before it gets quoted. It's best to make sure you're right before you try to insult someone for being wrong. ;)

I would be a little peeved by this happening. After all, I would be storing my empty suitcase under my bed during the cruise.

Stuff happens, and lets face it, there have been worse situations that have happened in the past few years. Compared to the Triumph in February, 2013, Splendor in November, 2010, or especially the Concordia in January, 2012, this is just a minor headache.

Wow.... :o

Seriously... we just booked our summer cruise a few days ago... on deck 9, forward, on Dream! We will literally be down the hall and around the corner. It sounds like CCL is doing what they should to take care of affected guests, and I am sure it will all be resolved by August when I am going. I have been going back and forth on the level of trip insurance to get for my cruise, and this pretty much solidifies the need, because these things do happen. In a case like this, is there any liability for property damage?

I have seen small leaks before on previous cruises, but never anything like that!

So because it was a video, not pictures, that translates to it being ok to steal screenshots?

Why are you so concerned about this? When people post pictures or videos on Facebook they can expect it to be shared around the world. If you want privacy stay off Facebook.

When you post on FB it becomes their property anyway.

Something that bad should be automatic refund and a full cruise since this one was ruined

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They got full refunds. 50 percent off a future cruise. Plus they could fly home from Cozumel. They had done 5 days of their cruise. Would I be upset? Yes. Would I get all huffy about it no. Things happen. It could have been worse. People always ask me if anything like this has ever happened to me. After 25 cruises, nothing. The worst thing has been hangovers or sunburn. Lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

The cynic in me thinks " 'Nothing overboard', eh? Where did they put

all that water? "

Seriously -- kudos to CCL.

All interior deck drains, in technical spaces and lockers on each deck (where most of that water would have drained down) drain down to the engine room bilges. Once in the bilges, this clean water (no oil) is now considered bilge water (contaminated by oil), and must be processed through the ship's Oil Water Separator (OWS). The OWS, filters and separates particulates and oil from the bilge water and pumps it overboard. The OWS, by law, has an "oil content meter" that measures the amount of oil in the water going overboard, and will automatically stop pumping overboard and return the water to the bilge tank for further processing when the oil content exceeds the legal limit of 15ppm. This is the set up that every ship on the oceans has today. Most cruise ships take the water from the bilges and pump it to a "dirty bilge tank", process it through an OWS but instead of going overboard, it goes to the "clean bilge tank", where it is then processed by a second OWS, and then passes a third oil content meter that has a recording function on it, before going overboard. So, nearly every cruise ship exceeds the legal requirements for discharge of bilge water to a great degree.

The drains in the cabin bathrooms are gray water drains, and all of this water drains down to the gray water holding tank, where it is processed by the waste water treatment plant before being sent overboard. While this flood resulted in a few tons of water in excess of normal operating for both the OWS and the waste water treatment plant, it would not represent any major problem for these systems to handle the excess in normal treatment.

All interior deck drains, in technical spaces and lockers on each deck (where most of that water would have drained down) drain down to the engine room bilges. Once in the bilges, this clean water (no oil) is now considered bilge water (contaminated by oil), and must be processed through the ship's Oil Water Separator (OWS). The OWS, filters and separates particulates and oil from the bilge water and pumps it overboard. The OWS, by law, has an "oil content meter" that measures the amount of oil in the water going overboard, and will automatically stop pumping overboard and return the water to the bilge tank for further processing when the oil content exceeds the legal limit of 15ppm. This is the set up that every ship on the oceans has today. Most cruise ships take the water from the bilges and pump it to a "dirty bilge tank", process it through an OWS but instead of going overboard, it goes to the "clean bilge tank", where it is then processed by a second OWS, and then passes a third oil content meter that has a recording function on it, before going overboard. So, nearly every cruise ship exceeds the legal requirements for discharge of bilge water to a great degree.

The drains in the cabin bathrooms are gray water drains, and all of this water drains down to the gray water holding tank, where it is processed by the waste water treatment plant before being sent overboard. While this flood resulted in a few tons of water in excess of normal operating for both the OWS and the waste water treatment plant, it would not represent any major problem for these systems to handle the excess in normal treatment.

Thanks Chief!

Any insight for those concerned about water sitting in the 'dead' space between cabins etc?

Cheers

Thanks Chief!

Any insight for those concerned about water sitting in the 'dead' space between cabins etc?

Cheers

There are drains in there, so it will go down as quickly as in the cabins or passageways, and since there is nothing organic in there (like the paper on drywall, or wood studs, which is what mold needs to live on), mold will not be a problem.

Yes you are correct I guess. But if this was binding every time someone handed someone there phone or camera on a ship to take a picture, the stranger would have copyrights to that photo. So make sure you find them and get permission to use them lol. I get it and if you want to get technical you got me lol. Bottom line is at least up here in MA the courts have spoken and I don’t feel I needed permission, nor will I worry about it.

With all the leaking in the news at the highest levels that shouldn't be leaked these days why the big hub bub on these pics??. Really it's in the interest of helping and informing members here of the truth. The real truth not skewed by a company trying to possibly hide facts and help people whose upcoming vacation will be effected. More importantly make us all aware of what can happen and consider the safety of our families. Fortunately no one appears hurt and the major news services have reported on this also. So I am more concerned over the passengers and crew safety and people who are to be on the Dream next than I am whose photo this is.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, we are leaving tomorrow for a cruise this weekend. Woke up today and one of our toilets backed up. I thought "great" something always goes wrong before a vacation. However, I saw these pics and realized that the ships have problems too and a great crew to take care of them. I can see the Carnival is already in damage control but I understand that stuff happens. Good luck Dream cruisers.
Yes! Exactly!!! Really puts it in perspective on the scale of things.

Stuff certainly does happen in life. I wish only the best for those cruisin now also... And all of us Cruisin from now on[emoji3]

[emoji924]️ Cruisin Trkrs [emoji597]

I am a law enforcement officer in MA and we’ve had instances where this has come up. Without getting in too deep, I will say this has held up in MA Courts. “When you post content on your Facebook page, you have the ability to configure privacy options regarding who can view that content. According to Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, any image posted with public settings carries the implicit acknowledgment that said photo is available for access and use by anyone including people and entities not on Facebook.” We’ve had many instances in both criminal cases involving possible harassment and civil cases involving businesses. (Family court as well). The only exception was if the person using the photos was to do so to defame the person who originally posted the photo. Otherwise the court said if the intent of the photo was to share what the original poster wanted shared, then there is no tort.

Facebook does try to help people or companies maintain their copyright and trademarked images but this doesn’t apply here since the poster did not trademark or copyright her pics/video. In contrast she stated I wanted to share this to “everyone” in case you have a trip on this ship coming up.

Anyhow, the post was meant to be helpful to anyone sailing on the Dream soon. Hopefully it was. As for those who want to focus on the other stuff feel free, but I am not the least bit concerned.

Thank you for your service and this good info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Forums mobile app

Exactly....People just need to mind their own business. Its not their issue. Its a Cruise critic and moderator issue. They can remove if they feel its not appropriate. Geez....this site is just getting so "pissy"
Indeed. Heartily agree!

Lol it's been getting *that way* for a couple years now...[emoji849]

Sounds like Carnival is being more than fair in their offerings to guests who are inconvenienced by the water main break.
Yes they are![emoji3] Kudos to our ONLY cruise line, #Carnival [emoji817][emoji818]️, in their fast response and generous compensation to all affected by the water line break!!![emoji924]️

I bet the Carnival Dream crew is working their tails off to make sure everyone is safe and gets resituated to still enjoy the rest of their vaca. Unfortunately, there's always a potential for things of this nature to happen, just like a main breaking in our homes... Thank goodness it doesn't seem to happen often.

Good thoughts to the passengers and crew!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Actually, just because someone posts something and sets it to public, does not mean you have the right to screenshot or share it. It does not matter if it is in a public group, the post is set to public or if it is all over the internet. There are still copyright laws. However, with that being said, I seriously doubt that the person that shared this video would have any issue, as they probably want this to go viral, and more than likely asked people to share the video for that very reason. I should know I work for a IP firm.

Actually, Facebook covered that by covering this in their user agreement... if you want your pictures covered by copyright, don't post them publicly on Facebook...

According to Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, any image posted with the Public setting carries the implicit acknowledgment that said photo is available for access and use by anyone -- including entities not on Facebook. While permission for use is considered polite, it is not a prerequisite.

Actually, Facebook covered that by covering this in their user agreement... if you want your pictures covered by copyright, don't post them publicly on Facebook...

According to Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, any image posted with the Public setting carries the implicit acknowledgment that said photo is available for access and use by anyone -- including entities not on Facebook. While permission for use is considered polite, it is not a prerequisite.

It's called "fair use" and has been covered ad nauseam in this thread. Your photos are still copyrighted even though they're posted. Fair use allows them to be shared, but no one can use them commercially without some form of compensation to the creator.

Something that bad should be automatic refund and a full cruise since this one was ruined

Gotta love when the “experts” come in and give directives without a shred of facts or evidence. Maybe it should be free cruises for life, after all it was their vacation.

Chengkp75,

I have a question for you. In another post on this thread is was stated that "The statement from Carnival said that the water was from a broken line in the fire suppression system:. If so, when the ship gets back to a U.S. port will it need a inspection of the fire suppression system?

Thanks

Chengkp75,

I have a question for you. In another post on this thread is was stated that "The statement from Carnival said that the water was from a broken line in the fire suppression system:. If so, when the ship gets back to a U.S. port will it need a inspection of the fire suppression system?

Thanks

Not necessarily. If the pipe break has been repaired, the ship's statement to that effect could be enough. Or, the USCG could decide to inspect, but this should not affect anything in the ship's routine, as this would just be a trip to the location of the break and a check of the repair. There will likely be a class inspection, but whether the USCG gets involved depends on the particular Captain of the Port area's budget for Port State Control.

Not necessarily. If the pipe break has been repaired, the ship's statement to that effect could be enough. Or, the USCG could decide to inspect, but this should not affect anything in the ship's routine, as this would just be a trip to the location of the break and a check of the repair. There will likely be a class inspection, but whether the USCG gets involved depends on the particular Captain of the Port area's budget for Port State Control.

Thank you for your answer. Lots of info.