Why is a passport needed?

SadieN

The US has not been a country with a "long history of isolationism and its attitudes toward other cultures." We have welcomed immigrants to our country, and have always been willing to help other countries during hardships or difficult times. We have been generous, sending aid and relief after natural disasters. Our humanitarian work over the decades has been large in scope and in positive results. The isolation you refer to has only been the case since the last presidential election and is unfortunately the myopic view of current administration. This country has prided itself on being a melting pot welcoming immigrants resulting in many cultures adding to its diversity. And for most of its citizens today, it still does, regardless of the current administration's stance.

I would suggest that the general antipathy for traveling to other parts of the world are because almost all US citizens are descendant from people who left their countries to move to the US, and the message being handed down to later generations is that they came here because they wanted a better life than what they had in their home countries.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. The US was certainly isolationist for a great deal of its history -- generally for the first 125 years, then also in the period between WWI and WWII (US did not want to get into the conflict, did not see it as 'our problem' until the Pearl Harbor attack...) Only after WWII can the US be said to have really become an actor on the world stage.

Also, the US likes to pride itself on being a melting pot -- but that is very much a rosy-colored view looking backward. Did you know that Italian immigrants were actually lynched in some places? And in fact, immigrants from Italy were banned in 1924, following a report that said (and I quote): “Certain kinds of criminality are inherent in the Italian race. In the popular mind, crimes of personal violence, robbery, blackmail and extortion are peculiar to the people of Italy.”

And there are many more instances, e.g., the internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII.

At any rate, most of the populations of Australia and of Canada are also in the same boat (so to speak :')) with regards to their immigrant roots, and again, are more likely to travel abroad than are US citizens.

Agree. That is why I was careful to state that my suggestion may only partially explain many people's aversion to travel abroad and that it wasn't proven fact or all encompassing. Not sure why you felt the need to disqualify my comments when I never claimed they were the only explanation. :confused:

Just kind of leapfrogging off of your post to reply to all of the others guessing why US citizens don't travel. Far easier than quoting everyone else. (And I wasn't trying to disqualify anyone's comments, only pointing out that we're all just guessing and that there is no one answer.)

Just kind of leapfrogging off of your post to reply to all of the others guessing why US citizens don't travel. Far easier than quoting everyone else. (And I wasn't trying to disqualify anyone's comments, only pointing out that we're all just guessing and that there is no one answer.)

Okay. I can get behind this comment. Thanks!

I blame it on lack of vacation time in the US compared to other countries. Long flights, jet lag, for just a week makes local travel more attractive.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/06/08/countries-most-vacation-days/2400193/

I agree about shorter vacations. You really need at least 9-10 days in Europe, because of long flights, but when majority of people having 10-15 of vacation days a year and even they are not guaranteed, it is not easy to plan long overseas vacations.

I agree about shorter vacations. You really need at least 9-10 days in Europe, because of long flights, but when majority of people having 10-15 of vacation days a year and even they are not guaranteed, it is not easy to plan long overseas vacations.

Plus, even if you have a lot of days to use, not many can take more than a week off at a time. My husband gets 6 weeks, but could never take a 2 week vacation.

Plus, even if you have a lot of days to use, not many can take more than a week off at a time. My husband gets 6 weeks, but could never take a 2 week vacation.

Yes.. I am very often work from cruises. I’m lucky to be in IT so it’s more manageable with better WiFi , so I have 5, but we always plan vacations around holidays to make it 8-9 days.

While I get 4 weeks off a year that I can carry forward, my challenge is that I work the notoriously bad overnight shift that includes Friday nights/Saturday mornings and Saturday nights/Sunday mornings. (I get Sunday and Monday nights off). That means that, in July, I will be scrambling to make sure I have a replacement when I take two weeks off in September. I'm not even looking forward to the deluge of email when I get back or the scrambling to make sure my work is taken care of while I'm gone.

At least my time off is on the calendar months in advance. One of my friends who works for a different company cannot request time off more than ninety days in advance. They are attending an event in September, have non-refundable airline tickets, etc, but because they are currently on a mandatory six LONG days a week, it is entirely possible that the vacation request will be rejected.

This is predominately a problem for we Americans. In many other countries it is common for folks to take several weeks off at a time. Several decades ago, when DW and I realized we were addicted to international travel we decided to make career choices based on our ability to travel. When interviewed for my last few jobs I would make it clear that I wanted to take 3-4 weeks off in the summer (to coincide with DW's teaching schedule). If my potential boss was not willing (or able) to agree to my long vacations then I did not take the job :). Life is about choices and DW and I made a choice that travel was to be a major factor in our lives. There is no doubt that my career was impacted by our travel decision, but sometimes that is the price to be paid if one wants to pursue their dreams and wants.

I used to have a very good friend who loved travel, but loved his career (and the money) even more...so he spent his life becoming successful. His plan was to do a lot of traveling once he retired and he did retire pretty early while still in his 50s. But a few days before his retirement took effect he dropped dead from a sudden heart attack (while at work) no doubt partially caused by all the stress of work.

There is no right or wrong to some of these life changing decisions and everyone has to evaluate their own circumstances. But we are always amazed at how many other travelers we have met who also decided to sacrifice some of their career potential in order to travel.

Hank

I also wanted the raise the point that even there small countries (like mine) have a lot to see and do as well. Naturally it takes us less time to get around those...but theres still a lot to do here to keep one going for years.

For example:

I only just went to Liverpool (maritime city..Beatles etc etc) for the first time this year when I had been planning to go since forever. It was fabulous and I wish I had gone as a teenager.

I also wanted the raise the point that even there small countries (like mine) have a lot to see and do as well. Naturally it takes us less time to get around those...but theres still a lot to do here to keep one going for years.

For example:

I only just went to Liverpool (maritime city..Beatles etc etc) for the first time this year when I had been planning to go since forever. It was fabulous and I wish I had gone as a teenager.

We agree about Liverpool :). Over the years we have traveled throughout your country but, for some reason, never managed to get to Liverpool. Last year we stopped in that city while on a cruise and we really had a fabulous day. The port area is really excellent and we are surprised that Liverpool is not on more cruise itineraries.

Hank

If you make it to your home international airport OF COURSE they will let you in (by verifying your identity in other ways). But the real problem is that they may not let you board in Cozumel without a valid passport... especially if the ship is still in port. They may require some additional documentation from the US consulate before allowing you to board a plane. It's better to travel with a passport.

I'm sure people will hate on me but what IS the big deal in getting a passport? It's around $125. When you travel you spend more than that on the ship or airfare or heck even shopping. I am not a wealthy person by ANY means I make $23,000 a year ( ok stop laughing now!) I have a passport. You don't have to get it when you're planning a trip. Save a few dollars here and there and get a passport. When you are ready to take that trip you have it! It's good for 10 years. It's a good thing to have for peace of mind. We only cruise once every year or two but we keep our passports up to date. And it's not just for travel it's great to have just for a piece of ID. I've used it when getting my driver's license renewed.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Forums mobile app

One can save thousands of dollars on even a short trip by learning how to use public transit and read a book (or a few web pages) on how to travel on one's own.

Hank

We dis-embarked in Hamburg last sunday. A shuttle bus to the train station was 5€/p.p (including infants), the shuttle bus to the airport was 25€/p.p (including infants). We took the bus to the train station 3x 5€ and then paid 3.15€/adult for the train to the air port.

In total we paid 21.30€ instead of 75€.

I'm sure people will hate on me but what IS the big deal in getting a passport? It's around $125. When you travel you spend more than that on the ship or airfare or heck even shopping. I am not a wealthy person by ANY means I make $23,000 a year ( ok stop laughing now!) I have a passport. You don't have to get it when you're planning a trip. Save a few dollars here and there and get a passport. When you are ready to take that trip you have it! It's good for 10 years. It's a good thing to have for peace of mind. We only cruise once every year or two but we keep our passports up to date. And it's not just for travel it's great to have just for a piece of ID. I've used it when getting my driver's license renewed.

It's not that it's a big deal, it's that less expensive alternatives are available in some circumstances to US citizens. As I said in an earlier post you might think that spending $850 for a 4 day cruise that cost about $1200 is a good investment, I concluded differently.

Another reason to get a passport.

The Carnival Dream sprung a leak, flooding about 50 cabins. Besides Carnival taking good care of them monetarily they’ve also offered to fly pax in the effected cabins home from Cozumel. Can’t do that if traveling on a BC.

I dismiss immediately anyone who talks fake news! I'm not preaching doom & gloom, I'm simply stating common sense facts. Yes you can travel in certain areas around the US on a birth certificate. Me personally, I use a passport. Yes, if you have a problem outside the US, you CAN get home on a BC, but depending on your circumstances, you COULD run into delays. If you have a medical emergency, that delay could be life threatening. There are many countries in the Caribbean & Mexico, whose hospitals I would NEVER want to be taken to. If you have an emergency back home & you want to get back ASAP, a delay will be frustrating.

Having said all that, I fully appreciate the infrequent traveler who doesn't want to tack on another $125 for a passport that they may very well never use again!

I would say take a good look at your own personal situation. Analyze your style & frequency of travel. Weigh your options. If you are elderly - get a passport! I've seen far too many people have heart attacks, strokes, etc. while traveling. If you are a millennial & are taking a trip that includes some strenuous excursions - ask yourself if being delayed with a medical injury in a foreign country would bother you. If not, go for the BC & have fun!

These are just my humble opinions, but they are based on years of experience & travel. I've been to over 30 countries, taken 107 cruises & flown extensively. These forums need some good honest answers, not politics & baloney.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Well put -- of course it looks like a big bite when viewed as a one time purchase, but it should be looked at as an investment which puts you in a position to take advantage of opportunities which you would otherwise have to ignore in series as they might come up.

It should be seen as being comparable to having a spare tire in your car. It is a lot easier than making sure you have your birth certificate and photo ID.

In real terms, it's cost represents three Starbucks coffees per year, or one cheap movie, including a small popcorn.

Well put -- of course it looks like a big bite when viewed as a one time purchase, but it should be looked at as an investment which puts you in a position to take advantage of opportunities which you would otherwise have to ignore in series as they might come up.

It should be seen as being comparable to having a spare tire in your car. It is a lot easier than making sure you have your birth certificate and photo ID.

In real terms, it's cost represents three Starbucks coffees per year, or one cheap movie, including a small popcorn.

Again, you might think that spending an additional $850 for something that is not needed for a $1200 trip is a good investment and more power to you if you do but that didn't look like a sound investment to me, especially given the fact that we didn't know if any further travel was in the stars for us or not. And certainly if one is able to take advantage of short fused travel opportunities that should be factored into their decision, but many can't take advantage of that so having a passport available is a waste (and if such travel does pop up it doesn't take that long to get a passport).

My passport is expired, I have a spare, I end up needing that spare several times a year. I will renew it if we are planning an overseas trip, or if one of my kids is traveling overseas. When I was younger and single, I did keep my passport up to date. But, as a family of 7, it’s pretty pricy to get passports when you don’t need them.

My passport is expired, I have a spare, I end up needing that spare several times a year.

If I were unlucky enough to need a spare tire "...several times a year.",I doubt I would want to risk going on a cruise without a convenient means of flying home if something went wrong.

My passport is expired, I have a spare, I end up needing that spare several times a year. I will renew it if we are planning an overseas trip, or if one of my kids is traveling overseas. When I was younger and single, I did keep my passport up to date. But, as a family of 7, it’s pretty pricy to get passports when you don’t need them.
We had a similar conundrum when we were getting our passports a few years ago. We're a family of 4 and hadn't had a need for a passport until we were going on our first cruise. It cost us a little over 500 to get all our passports. Plus a kid's passport is only good for 5 years, so we'll have to renew theirs soon.

While it was an expensive upfront cost, it's given us a great excuse to go on more cruises. "These things will expire soon, gotta get our use out of 'em now!"

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Yes you can. The State Department will allow them to fly home, and just take a little longer to process them when they go through customs. If you are a citizen you will be allowed home, and it will not be as difficult as people on here claim.

Having said that IMO you don't eave the country without a passport, but the doom and gloom that it preached is just more fake news.

ZQOL have you ever taken a cruise that goes out of the country? Yes you need a passport to go through immergration in the US. Also if you ever went overseas you need a passport to book a hotel in most countries and they need to see it before you can check in or enter their country. Please, dont post anymore fake information!

ZQOL have you ever taken a cruise that goes out of the country? Yes you need a passport to go through immergration in the US. Also if you ever went overseas you need a passport to book a hotel in most countries and they need to see it before you can check in or enter their country. Please, dont post anymore fake information!

Actually no you don't need a passport to go through immigration (it's actually CBP) in the US if you are a US citizen on a closed loop cruise. Also a poster earlier this year posted about their experience having to leave the ship early due to a minor medical emergency. They were allowed to board a plane without passports in Puerto Vallarta after a little bit of delay finding the official that would approve it and then they spent 10 minutes at secondary inspection with CBP when they landed.

Again, you might think that spending an additional $850 for something that is not needed for a $1200 trip is a good investment and more power to you .....

Personally, I don't gold plate my passport so it only costs me $110 to renew it every ten years, or $11 per year (the cost of a single alcoholic drink on board a cruise ship or in a nice hotel bar). I see no need to spend an additional $740 for some fancy carrying case, or gold plating, or whatever you do to spend all that extra money on your passport. :D

If I were unlucky enough to need a spare tire "...several times a year.",I doubt I would want to risk going on a cruise without a convenient means of flying home if something went wrong.

The roads here are pretty horrible, we get plenty of flats. We’ve had AAA plus for all drivers in our household, and always get our monies worth. We are in pothole season right now.