Taking flowers on board

I've read nothing to indicate it's been prohibited. Now, the Alaska season is just starting, so it's possible there has been a change, and we just have not heard about it yet....

The only prohibition against bringing on flowers that I recall reading was from one specific area on the World Cruise this year. It was because of an infestation of bugs on the flowers.

It was not a universal prohibition.

I know this has been discussed somewhere but can't find it. Does HAL still allow bringing flowers on board in Seattle?

Thanks.

I know Celebrity did for our Pacific Coastal last fall and I know HAL has in the past too. I hope you can get flowers at Pike Place, ours lasted well past the 7 day cruise and were gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bought a bouquet of lavender at Pike's Market for our 14 day Alaska Cruise. I hung it upside down in the closet as someone suggested, and enjoyed the fragrance. It dried and I did take it home with me. I wondered about customs, but no one took it away. I still have it!

Karen

I bought a bouquet of lavender at Pike's Market
It is Pike Place actually. No 's. I don't know why it drives us Seattle people crazy when we hear the S but it does. It's not just you. Movies and TV shows do it too. The market is actually called "The Seattle Public Market" but it happens to be on Pike, hence people call it Pike Place Market. Pike was actually dead before the market was founded, so it was never his.

I just called. They say flowers from a commercial florist are always okay. Flowers from a garden are sometimes refused because of possible contamination. The florists at the Public Market might be considered home garden though.

It is Pike Place actually. No 's. I don't know why it drives us Seattle people crazy when we hear the S but it does. It's not just you. Movies and TV shows do it too. The market is actually called "The Seattle Public Market" but it happens to be on Pike, hence people call it Pike Place Market. Pike was actually dead before the market was founded, so it was never his.

As you said, it's a common mistake made by those who don't live here.

How do you feel when you hear HAL headquarters referred to as "Seattle" (and it's usually in a derogatory sense)? I cringe a little bit, but like Pike('s) I've learned to try to overlook it. :)

Same feeling about "San Fran" and "Frisco". It's like fingernails on the chalkboard!!!

Now we are also getting "Cali" for California ....add that to the list of fingernail scratches on a blackboard ...which is a term as dated now as a typewriter bell.

A reason you will want to to respect HAL restrictions about informal garden flowers being brought on board. Particularly if you order room service and your dishes are brought back to the dishwashing-food prep areas of the ship:

From the most recent CDC report on the Nieuw Amsterdam: Score 96/100

Item No.: 39Site: Galley-Deck 2Violation: At least 3 small flies were by the potable water regulator cabinet next to the in-use soup kettles.

Recommendation: Effectively control the presence of insects, rodents, and other pests to minimize their presence in the food storage, preparation, and service areas and warewashing and utensil storage areas aboard a vessel.

As you said, it's a common mistake made by those who don't live here.

How do you feel when you hear HAL headquarters referred to as "Seattle" (and it's usually in a derogatory sense)? I cringe a little bit, but like Pike('s) I've learned to try to overlook it. :)

Crusiing, along,

Peckish Pixie

We live on the right coast, and if we in Boston jumped in to tell everyone they mispronunce or mispell so many of our locales, we would b quite annoying. how do you p;ronounce, Worcester Gloucester, Fanueil Hall? etc etc I p;romise you, I just caught 75% of you prouncing at least one in correctly.

So, my point is please give us a break. :(

I think it grand how many of us visit your fine city and the market..................... and take away nice memories. Isn't that what matters? I f adding an 's' where it does not belong is the worst we do to be annoying................ to you, GOOD Job. by us. :)

I have a collapsible vase I take on all my cruises and bring flowers on several times during a longer cruise. Have never had a problem with HAL, Princess or Celebrity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We live on the right coast, and if we in Boston jumped in to tell everyone they mispronunce or mispell so many of our locales, we would b quite annoying. how do you p;ronounce, Worcester Gloucester, Fanueil Hall? etc etc I p;romise you, I just caught 75% of you prouncing at least one in correctly.

So, my point is please give us a break. :(

I think it grand how many of us visit your fine city and the market..................... and take away nice memories. Isn't that what matters? I f adding an 's' where it does not belong is the worst we do to be annoying................ to you, GOOD Job. by us. :)

Of course you are right. I was corrected the other day by someone when I referred to grits as "they" and "them". So it happens to all of us, and could be taken as a learning experience. :)

As I said, I just overlook it, it isn't a big deal to me when someone says "Pikes" instead of "Pike" but I do know lots of people who hate it.

I fully enjoyed our time in Seatle and T he Market which we visited with good friend who lived in Seattle at the time. I truly like your fine City very much. :)

I fully enjoyed our time in Seatle andt he Market which we visited with good friend who lived in Seattle at the time. I truly like your fine City very much. :)

I'm very happy to hear this. I visited Boston for the first time last year and fell in love with your city. Now I've been there twice and have 2 more visits coming up this July and August for the VOV. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the area. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live outside Boston, but if I was in gtthe city I'm in the burbs and no longer drive to Boston.

I'd enjoy meeting up with you.

We are happy to welcome you back.

I live outside Boston, but if I was in gtthe city I'm in the burbs and no longer drive to Boston.

I'd enjoy meeting up with you.

We are happy to welcome you back.

Thank you for the welcome! It would be nice to meet you too, maybe on a cruise some day. :)