Snorkel equipment on Barefoot Beach

Hi everyone,

We are cruising HOTS in a couple of weeks. I had no idea that there was complimentary snorkel equipment to use on Barefoot Beach.

Has anyone used it? Is the snorkel that you use a one time throw away type, or are they in the bucket with the solution like on some snorkel cruises? I hate the ones that are in the bucket that someone has used before you, Gross! Just trying to find out if we should bring our own.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You use forks, knives and spoons, plates and glasses that others have used....why is snorkel equipment different? They are in a bleach solution...no "germs" can survive. No one has gotten sick or died from the snorkel equipment. EVER. It's fine if you use it. If you don't want to...bring your own stuff. Bring your own cutlery and place-settings, too!

You use forks, knives and spoons, plates and glasses that others have used....why is snorkel equipment different? They are in a bleach solution...no "germs" can survive. No one has gotten sick or died from the snorkel equipment. EVER. It's fine if you use it. If you don't want to...bring your own stuff. Bring your own cutlery and place-settings, too!

Have you ever wondered why there are two types of utensils..... metal and disposable?

Every time we have been to Barefoot beach (at least 8 times in the last 10 years)---(even before it was a suite beach) we have always been provided for the asking free floaties and free snorkel gear.

By that I mean, mask- snorkel-and fins.

The Barefoot beach attendant assigned to you takes you to the hut across the street--where you just show your sea pass card they write your name on a sheet of paper. When you return they cross your name off.

If you do not return a charge will be placed on your sea pass card.

We used them the last time we were there August of 2017.

The mask and snorkel smell of bleach.

We rinsed them off with bottled water before we used (compliments of bar by BBQ).

I have one of the perk sheets listing the GS and above benefits and this is still listed on it (snorkel and floatie).

Safe travels.

Watch it will be yet another taken away benefit.

Sea Ya

Lioness,

Why do you feel the need to rinse them off with bottled? You are taking them into ocean, where they will be getting wet with ocean water anyway.

I also have never seen disposable mouth pieces for snorkel gear.

Lioness,

Why do you feel the need to rinse them off with bottled? You are taking them into ocean, where they will be getting wet with ocean water anyway.

I also have never seen disposable mouth pieces for snorkel gear.

OH

The smell of bleach was overwhelming.

I was afraid to inhale it through the snorkel.

I only rinsed it out to try to get the strong disinfectant smell out.

The goggle was very clean and the fins, well they were fins.

We usually splash around barefoot beach at the shoreline by the cabanas, see small fishies, an eel or two and then go out to the rope and the DH does his yearly sneak out to the plane take a picture with his underwater camera, come up for air, get yelled at by lifeguard.

Later

On snorkel cruises they will either have the regular snorkel gear that is thrown into a bucket with everyone else’s when you are done snorkeling or they have a regular mask that you wear and the tube for air is a hard plastic with a regular soft plastic mouthpiece. When you are done snorkeling they let you take it with you, or they throw it away.

If I knew how to post a picture here, I would. I still have ours from a snorkel tour in Costa Maya last year. In fact, I’ll take those with us.

We live in CA so I don’t really want to drag our snorkel gear across the country. The only place we will be snorkeling is Labadee. I know the snorkeling there is not supposed to be any good, but we thought it would be fun to give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums