MSC Seaside - How Formal is Formal?

MizDemeanor

Its been a little while since we have had to dress for a Formal Evening on a ship. We do have cruise clothing for this purpose from other lines....that we may or may not fit into....:o....but what is the MSC Formal Experience on Seaside like so far for Formal Dress?

TIA!

I'll assume you're talking about Yacht Club, but the dress I saw applied pretty much to MDRs also. Officially MSC says no shorts in dining rooms any night for dinner, even in the YC reality differed. Not a lot, just a couple of men in shorts once or twice. Formal nights in YC were only a little dressier, I didn't see any formal wear just a few suits and most still in cruise casual. Women were wearing nice dresses or pants, I didn't see any gowns. From what I saw people dressed up more for formal nights on Divina in the MDRs.

Its been a little while since we have had to dress for a Formal Evening on a ship. We do have cruise clothing for this purpose from other lines....that we may or may not fit into....:o....but what is the MSC Formal Experience on Seaside like so far for Formal Dress?

TIA!

Was on the Seaside last week and in the MDR men were mostly in shorts on non gala nights and woman were also very casual and in Feb. in the YC men were also allowed to wear shorts on non gala nights. So you dress as you please.

It was like any other formal night on any ship. Suits and ties, dresses. No tuxedos or anything like that. I wore khakis, a jacket, dress shirt, but no tie. Don't picture the Titanic fancy but don't figure grocery shopping at Wal Mart either. Just dress nice and you're fine.

On a similar note, I've got a question about opting out of formal nights:

On Princess, Formal Nights apply to the MDR. If you don't wish to dress up, you're free to "come as you are" in the buffets or any of the specialty restaurants. So for one of the formal nights, I would always book a table at a specialty restaurant and skip the tuxedo/suit.

Is that how it works on MSC as well or does formal night apply to the specialty restaurants as well? I've got my first taste of MSC cruising (in a YIN cabin) coming up in November 2019 and I just want to figure out what to expect.

On a similar note, I've got a question about opting out of formal nights:

On Princess, Formal Nights apply to the MDR. If you don't wish to dress up, you're free to "come as you are" in the buffets or any of the specialty restaurants. So for one of the formal nights, I would always book a table at a specialty restaurant and skip the tuxedo/suit.

Is that how it works on MSC as well or does formal night apply to the specialty restaurants as well? I've got my first taste of MSC cruising (in a YIN cabin) coming up in November 2019 and I just want to figure out what to expect.

From what we've experience in a couple MSC cruises, formal/gala nights only apply to the MDR. Our 7 night cruise had 2 formal/gala nights. We participated in the 1st night. On the 2nd formal/gala night, we ate at the buffet in casual wear (jeans and shirt) then went to the theater to watch the evening show. I don't think it applies to specialty restaurants because you are a 'paying' customer anyway.

• 4 months later...
It was like any other formal night on any ship. Suits and ties, dresses. No tuxedos or anything like that. I wore khakis, a jacket, dress shirt, but no tie. Don't picture the Titanic fancy but don't figure grocery shopping at Wal Mart either. Just dress nice and you're fine.

Best. Dress code. Description. EVER. :'):'):')

Agreed, but I don't think I've ever been on a cruise where I didn't see at least one tuxedo. I'm usually in khakis and dress shirt, no jacket or tie, but I do wear my tux on formal nights. We tend to do longer cruises now that we're retired and we see more tuxes there. I had to buy one for a Cunard cruise years ago and as long as it fits, I want to get some use out of it. Maybe I should get a job as a waiter, lol.

Tony