AUS/NZ - Early Nov- Timing Pros & Cons

Considering an Australia/ NZ cruise likely during the first half of Nov. We were originally supposed to go in February 2016 but had to cancel. From what I have seen online so far it seems like it will be a little cooler and possibly a little windier in November. I hope there are some reading this who have firsthand knowledge of how much that is likely to affect the cruise and will add their two cents. We would rather not go in Jan or Feb for various reasons. Also don’t really want to go too close to the Christmas season as we are involved in other enjoyable things at that busy time of year.

I’d really appreciate any helpful input!

Early November is an ideal time to cruise as they tend to be slightly cheaper due to less demand. The weather is cooler but not cold. I suppose it depends where you really want to go though as the South Pacific or a Queensland cruise is obviously much warmer than NZ or Hobart cruise.

As already stated above, November is a good time of year for cruising almost anywhere in Australia. The north will be hot and dry and the south will be warm with hot spells. The South Pacific will usually be perfect with very low chance of cyclones.

In tropical areas, November is the month where the Trade Winds swap around from the SE to the NE, producing long calm spells and smoother seas.

In NZ it will be cooler and windier, with a very high chance of it actually being cold in the South Island, but if you rug up it shouldn't be a problem.

This doesn't mean that there isn't a chance of fine weather in NZ in November, just that it is much more variable than Australia.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Actually the cruise departs from Sydney and returns to Sydney but he’s basically going around New Zealand. Of course we will put some things in before after the cruise I hope but I was mainly concerned about what the weather would be during the cruise. We have Cruise to Alaska in May in the past so I wonder if the New Zealand weather will be somewhat like that, requiring layering, rain gear and clothing for both very chilly in quite warm weather? With regard to New Zealand what would be the commerce seas And wins and fairly comfortable weather? I know weather changes all the time and is unpredictable but an educated guess helps! Thanks for the replies so far.

Actually the cruise departs from Sydney and returns to Sydney but he’s basically going around New Zealand. Of course we will put some things in before after the cruise I hope but I was mainly concerned about what the weather would be during the cruise. We have Cruise to Alaska in May in the past so I wonder if the New Zealand weather will be somewhat like that, requiring layering, rain gear and clothing for both very chilly in quite warm weather? With regard to New Zealand what would be the commerce seas And wins and fairly comfortable weather? I know weather changes all the time and is unpredictable but an educated guess helps! Thanks for the replies so far.

I always advise layers and rain gear can be needed any time of year

I would think temps in NZ would still be much warmer than Alaska in May, but layers are a good way to go. The seas tend to be calmer on average around that time of year although as you say, weather is unpredictable. Depending on the cruise line the on board currency will change Princess, Carnival and P&O will be AUD, while Royal and X will be USD.

Cruised to NZ in November...it was like a mill pond and the cruise through the Fjords was in clear skies and beautiful sun. The cruise following us couldn't get into the Fjords and the Tasman crossing was like a washing machine. It really is the luck of the draw. And, yes, I've been to Alaska in summer...very similar to southern NZ at that time of year.....layers.

We did the around NZ cruise in late November 3 years ago and are booked for the same cruise at the same time this year. The weather was great with a storm the night before we did the sounds so we had a mad waterfall show.

Coolish weather in Dunedin but nothing to worry about. Best advice is a jumper and a light rain type jacket to break the breeze just in case as it can turn quite nasty according to my Grand Daughter's boyfriend who comes from Dunedin.