Room Service Choices on Ruby

land lover

Which meals are you interested in? Unless you are in a full suite where you can order from the MDR menu, breakfast is continental only and the rest of the offerings are slim pickings. You would be better off grabbing a few items from the International Cafe on your way back to your cabin if no dining venue fits your plans.

And I am very curious as to what you mean by "the MDR hours being changed". Why would MDR dining in Alaska be different than any other destination?

I don't believe there have been any changes to MDR schedules. The MDR is open for

Breakfast every day, open seating,

Lunch on sea days only, open seating,

Dinner every evening, Anytime Dining or Traditional Dining early seatings or late seating. Note that in Skaway, Victoria and Juneau with late departures TD might also be open seating.

Room service is available all the time, but with a limited menu unless you are in a full suite.

Which meals are you interested in? Unless you are in a full suite where you can order from the MDR menu, breakfast is continental only and the rest of the offerings are slim pickings. You would be better off grabbing a few items from the International Cafe on your way back to your cabin if no dining venue fits your plans.

And I am very curious as to what you mean by "the MDR hours being changed". Why would MDR dining in Alaska be different than any other destination?

Recent Patters have been posted that show at least on the Ruby, the hours for the Anytime DR have changed to 4:30 to 8:30. The DR that switches to Anytime at 7:30 is still open until 9:30 so later Dining is stil accommodated.

Interestingly, there is a note that has been added that states: “Anytime Dining/Upon availability of tables.”

There are also notes stating the the doors of the DR used for full time TD will close at 6:00 and doors for the DR that switches to ATD at 7:45 will close at 5:45.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Recent Patters have been posted that show at least on the Ruby, the hours for the Anytime DR have changed to 4:30 to 8:30. The DR that switches to Anytime at 7:30 is still open until 9:30 so later Dining is stil accommodated.

Interestingly, there is a note that has been added that states: “Anytime dining/Subject to availability of tables”

So other than altering the hours for one MDR to placate the numbers who leave their stomachs on east coast time, there really is nothing different. If the OP is worried about being accommodated late in the ATD window they probably should switch to late traditional (which is still the usual 8:00 on Island and 8:15 on Golden according to my bookings).

Another thread (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2626801) has the entire Patters for the first Ruby Princess Alaska cruise of the season. I picked one port day and one sea day.

Michaelangelo:

anytime dining 4:30 to 8:30 pm

Botticelli:

first traditional dining: 5:30 pm (doors close at 6:00 pm)

second traditional dining: 8:00 pm

DaVinci:

breakfast: 7:00 to 9:00 am (7:30 to 9:30 on a sea day)

lunch (sea days): noon to 1:30 pm

tea: 3:00 to 4:00 pm

first traditional seating port day: 5:00 pm (doors close at 5:45 pm)

first traditional seating sea day: 5:30 pm (doors close at 5:45 pm)

anytime dining: 7:30 to 9:30 pm

I was just on Ruby less a month ago...hours have changed ...as posters have noted...not only in the MDR but also....the trident grill, ice cream and pizza, now close at 10pm not 11pm....The bar next to the grill closes at 7pm.

On our last cruise I enjoyed the menu changes in the MDR, but found the buffet really unappetizing( I just figured out, I sailed 4 cruises, 49 days with Princess in 2017, 21 on Ruby)...... so I think I can have an opinion about how both the buffet and IC have really changed in quality and choices on Ruby, but them again maybe my recent Pacific Coastal just did not provide as much.

Thus, I am just wondering for those that have used room service for late meals if they have found anything worth while to order?

Another thread (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2626801) has the entire Patters for the first Ruby Princess Alaska cruise of the season. I picked one port day and one sea day.

Michaelangelo:

anytime dining 4:30 to 8:30 pm

Botticelli:

first traditional dining: 5:30 pm (doors close at 6:00 pm)

second traditional dining: 8:00 pm

DaVinci:

breakfast: 7:00 to 9:00 am (7:30 to 9:30 on a sea day)

lunch (sea days): noon to 1:30 pm

tea: 3:00 to 4:00 pm

first traditional seating port day: 5:00 pm (doors close at 5:45 pm)

first traditional seating sea day: 5:30 pm (doors close at 5:45 pm)

anytime dining: 7:30 to 9:30 pm

I forgot about TEA. Thanks for posting the Afternoon Tea change from 3-4 rather than 3:30-4:30.

Info I was looking for thax...

Can u just order fries fries? Is there a charge after midnight or am I thinking of another cruise line?

You're thinking of Celebrity. (and NCL, RCI both of which also have either 24/7 room service fee or a fee during some hours). The only fee item on Princess is pizza, $3 any time day or night.

You can order just a plate of fries, or a plate if potato chips, or tortilla chips (all three are offered as sides to the sandwiches or chili). The sandwiches are pretty good, we enjoy a club or tuna salad after a night of dancing usually.. With plate of cookies! Not much of a fan of the salads. The egg sandwich in the morning is tasty, sinikar to an egg mcmuffin. .

There's loads of photos on Google of the room service menu.

You're thinking of Celebrity. (and NCL, RCI both of which also have either 24/7 room service fee or a fee during some hours). The only fee item on Princess is pizza, $3 any time day or night.

You can order just a plate of fries, or a plate if potato chips, or tortilla chips (all three are offered as sides to the sandwiches or chili). The sandwiches are pretty good, we enjoy a club or tuna salad after a night of dancing usually.. With plate of cookies! Not much of a fan of the salads. The egg sandwich in the morning is tasty, sinikar to an egg mcmuffin. .

There's loads of photos on Google of the room service menu.

Thanks for your input, I'll goggle.....I just have not opened that binder in the cabins in a long time.. you should not have mentioned potato chips, my weakness..:D

We love the lasagna so much we look for an opportunity to stay in to order it. It used to be offered in the buffet one day per cruise, but not in years, although we did find it at lunch on one cruise recently. It comes in a 3" deep smallish casserole so hot you'll burn your mouth if you don't cut through it to let the steam escape. Yum! My mouth is watering now ... but I need to wait for Alaska in a couple weeks. Also you won't believe me but the pb&j sandwiches are wonderful ... toasted if you want! And they come with potato chips!

I genuinely enjoy the lasagna on the room service menu, and have to have it at least once per trip. It’s my favorite style, with Bechamel.

We love the lasagna so much we look for an opportunity to stay in to order it. It used to be offered in the buffet one day per cruise, but not in years, although we did find it at lunch on one cruise recently. It comes in a 3" deep smallish casserole so hot you'll burn your mouth if you don't cut through it to let the steam escape. Yum! My mouth is watering now ... but I need to wait for Alaska in a couple weeks. Also you won't believe me but the pb&j sandwiches are wonderful ... toasted if you want! And they come with potato chips!

I would have never thought of ordering the lasagna...so great information and descriptions, definitely food for thought...;p

Good suggestion about toasting the sandwich....glad u threw in the chips....

I have enjoyed the very sizeable chef's salad at lunch. You can order bread, chips or fries to accompany it.

Sounds good?

When I think about it more I don't think I have ever ordered room service from Princess so these suggestions are most helpful.

Thanks for your input, I'll goggle.....I just have not opened that binder in the cabins in a long time.. you should not have mentioned potato chips, my weakness..:D

The potato chips are just delicious. The thin crispy Lays type - perfect with the various sandwiches, or on their own.

We do room service for breakfast all the time. Some days,

we order a hamburger and fries or a tuna salad sandwich and salad. We generally order late afternoon. Some days we check out the buffet either eat there or make a plate and take it back to the cabin and enjoy on our balcony.

Really depends on what you like. We have been very happy with room service, buffet and crown grill, including the fish and chips served some days. We did not go to the MDR once.

FYI...I was recently on the Ruby & the MDR for traditional dinning opened at 5:00 pm.

They also changed the times of the shows in the Princess Threatre. First show at 6:30 pm, second show at 8:30 pm.

I liked the change so that I didn’t have to rush to get to the show to get a seat after my 5:30 pm dinner.

Tom😎

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know who responded to this thread..that I did indeed, try many of your suggestions...

First of all the potato chips, my first call to room service was about midnight I ordered just one large plate...both the order taker and deliverer had a good laugh....Chips only???????

On our last "sea" day( Victoria 7-11:56pm)..I suddenly remembered I wanted to try some of the other suggested items, especially the Lasagna....so decided to have lunch in. Selections: cheese burger and fries, lasagna,chef salad, cookies and THE CHIPS!!!!!! I even ran up to the buffet for some bread & butter.BTW there was another person who was indulging with me....:D

When the order taker asked about condiments, I remember the posts here...so maybe they have received "the memo";) about asking.

I found all your suggestions far better than average, however I didn't get a change to try the CB it was inhaled by "the other" my son.

When I travel with DH next cruise definitely, he'll order one of his favorite dishes, Lasagna.. I agree it was very good......and everyone knows what I'll have as a midnight snack...CHIPS!!!

Thanks again....