Carnival Policy for Refundable Costs if I "Miss the Boat" (ie. Cheers Program)

SkyPiglet

I am currently shopping around for insurance, and got some great advice from the insurance thread, but I have a few questions that perhaps someone who knows a lot more about Carnival's specific policies than I do can help. Here is the reason, I only need to insure the costs that are non-refundable, and the amount insured makes a substantive difference in the cost of said insurance.

Here is my hypothetical situation. My plane is severely delayed, and I do NOT make it to embarkation and MY cruise never happens. What costs of the cruise will be refunded by Carnival's policies. Most particularly it is the cost of the Cheers Program. Imagine I am a no-show.

Flight: Not part of Carnival, so I know that needs to be insured.

Hotel: Same as the flight.

Cruise Fare: I know this is non-refundable, so it needs to be insured.

Excursions: I haven't booked any yet, and likely won't so non-issue other than curiosity.

Pre-Paid Gratuities: If I basically don't make it on board, are these refundable?

Port-Fees: If I basically don't make it on board, are these refundable?

Cheers: If I basically don't make it on board, are these refundable?

The gratuities, port-fees, and cheers will be close to a third of the pre-paid cost of my vacation. So if they are refunded if I fail to attend the cruise, then not insuring them makes sense as it shaves a significant amount of unnecessary cost on the insurance.

I spoke to a rep at Carnival who confirmed that those three expenses would be refunded, but I don't always trust everyone 100%. Any guidance, or experience that you have to offer would be helpful! Thank you so much!

It is my understanding that any pre-paid costs such as gratuities, fun shop purchases, Cheers, excursions etc. are refundable, as are the port charges. This is what I've garnered through years of reading on these boards and not through personal experience. Since I don't know for sure what part of "government taxes and fees" is refundable I include that in my insurance amount.

have you read the small print on the insurace about how close you can cut the flight and still be covered? I know some policies wouldnt cover you if its close.

I guess it was impossible to fly in the night before? where are you flying from and to where? what time of year? do the insurance policies have any ifs ands or buts when they dont cover your flight if its late and you miss the ship?

The 3 you mentioned should be np being refunded. Im more worried about insuring the rest you mentioned.

have you read the small print on the insurace about how close you can cut the flight and still be covered? I know some policies wouldnt cover you if its close.

I guess it was impossible to fly in the night before? where are you flying from and to where? what time of year? do the insurance policies have any ifs ands or buts when they dont cover your flight if its late and you miss the ship?

The 3 you mentioned should be np being refunded. Im more worried about insuring the rest you mentioned.

Yes. I have read the certificates as well as spoken to reps to make sure the policies I am looking into cover my concerns. While I was originally (in a different thread) concerned about a special case, my primary concern now is issues with the flight (weather, labor strikes or mechanical failure). For the record, Detroit to New Orleans, Summer, and the day before.

If you miss the cruise completely (no show), you would lose all your cruise fare but some other charges would no longer apply, and you should be refunded:

• Prepaid Port taxes and fees
  • Prepaid Gratuities (if any)
  • Prepaid Excursions
  • Prepaid Beverage packages, specialty dining, etc.

I can't see them charging you for any of this if you never step foot on the ship.

CHEERS! is non-refundable; if the program is purchased prior to the cruise, it is refundable up to 10:00pm ET, the evening prior to the cruise departure.

Right from Carnival's site.

CHEERS! is non-refundable; if the program is purchased prior to the cruise, it is refundable up to 10:00pm ET, the evening prior to the cruise departure.

Yes, that is one of the reasons I posted, since the written policy could easily be interpreted as a bit contradictory to what the rep told me, but I think that is in reference to if you still sail.

Yes, that is one of the reasons I posted, since the written policy could easily be interpreted as a bit contradictory to what the rep told me, but I think that is in reference to if you still sail.

Right... you have to put it in context of the typical passenger. They don't want someone coming on board and getting a few free drinks and then cancelling, so they have this non-refundable policy - that makes sense. But it makes no sense to impose it on someone who does not sail.

So, you have to read between the lines a bit with the official policies. Also, once on the ship, there are lots of cases where rules are bent heavily. It's like a little kingdom where if you are a good subject to the king you can get treated better.

If you miss the cruise completely (no show), you would lose all your cruise fare but some other charges would no longer apply, and you should be refunded:

• Prepaid Port taxes and fees
  • Prepaid Gratuities (if any)
  • Prepaid Excursions
  • Prepaid Beverage packages, specialty dining, etc.

I can't see them charging you for any of this if you never step foot on the ship.

We were booked on a Carnival Cruise and the night before one of my daughters came down with an awful virus and we wound up in the ER so we missed our cruise.

Carnival refunded all the items the previous poster (salty dingo) listed above. My insurance covered the rest. In my case we were out some funds because I failed to date my ins from the time we left home. . .so the cost of some of the pre cruise items were not covered. Lesson learned there.

Edited by deb63

I am currently shopping around for insurance, and got some great advice from the insurance thread, but I have a few questions that perhaps someone who knows a lot more about Carnival's specific policies than I do can help. Here is the reason, I only need to insure the costs that are non-refundable, and the amount insured makes a substantive difference in the cost of said insurance.

Here is my hypothetical situation. My plane is severely delayed, and I do NOT make it to embarkation and MY cruise never happens. What costs of the cruise will be refunded by Carnival's policies. Most particularly it is the cost of the Cheers Program. Imagine I am a no-show.

Excursions: I haven't booked any yet, and likely won't so non-issue other than curiosity.

Pre-Paid Gratuities: If I basically don't make it on board, are these refundable?

The gratuities, port-fees, and cheers will be close to a third of the pre-paid cost of my vacation. So if they are refunded if I fail to attend the cruise, then not insuring them makes sense as it shaves a significant amount of unnecessary cost on the insurance.

I spoke to a rep at Carnival who confirmed that those three expenses would be refunded, but I don't always trust everyone 100%. Any guidance, or experience that you have to offer would be helpful! Thank you so much!

If you were to be a no-show for the cruise, port charges, taxes, pre-paid gratuities, and pre-paid excursions would be refunded to the original form of payment. Cheers is refundable up until 10 PM Eastern time the night before the cruise.

Where are you flying from that you think your plane on the DAY BEFORE the cruise will be so delayed?

Where are you flying from that you think your plane on the DAY BEFORE the cruise will be so delayed?

If the OP is flying in from a place that experiences winter weather, and if the cruise is during the winter months (or even late fall or early spring) that would very well be possible.

Flying in from Detroit, late summer, so we are not too worried about Winter weather, but other weather certainly can still cause disruptions. We just want to protect our investment in the vacation with an abundance of caution.

Last year, we booked a cruise out of Galveston on the Breeze. Several months prior, we saw on the news that Spirit Airlines workers went on strike, which caused many flights to be cancelled, so we decided to purchase insurance through Carnival in case something like that were to happen to us.

That cruise ended up getting extended due to Hurricane Harvey, and our insurance paid for our meals, lodging, and transportation in New Orleans where we got off, until the next day for our rescheduled flight home. Many things can go wrong that don't get anticipated, which is why it is helpful to know exactly which purchases need to be insured.

I had to cancel one of my cruises the day before, as I came down with noro and did not want to infect the whole plane, then hotel, then cruise ship. Through Carnival I was refunded port tax/fees, gratuities, excursions I had pre-booked, prepaid gratuities, bottomless bubbles I had pre-purchased, water I had purchased for the cabin, and computer plan I had purchased. All else was re-imbursed by my trip insurance. (plane fare, cruise cost, hotel cost)

Based on this, I think you would need to determine how likely it is that you would not know before 10pm the night before (and have a way of contacting Carnival to cancel). A possible option for Cheers "insurance" would be to wait to purchase until you are on-board. This does cost more than prepaying, but if it costs more to insure it you might come out ahead.

The problem is not always on the departure end.

Flight delays and cancellations can be caused by problems on the arrival end.

Ask anyone who thought there would be no problem flying into a Florida airport to find that a frontal passage with heavy thunderstorms moving from coast to coast had a domino effect of airport closures, flight diversions, and flight delays and cancellations.

Cruise line will only keep the cruise fare, all other charges would be refunded (Cheers, port charges, taxes, pre-paid gratuity etc). So your insurance would need to cover the non-refundable cruise fare, airfare, hotel charges (non refundable) and include coverage for missed connections and to get you to the first port of call to join the cruise, or back home if you are unable to connect with your cruise. I use insuremytrip . Com to compare coverages.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. In case anyone wondered what I decided, here is what I did.

I ended up purchasing the Choice Cruise policy from Nationwide. The cost difference between insuring Cheers ($850 value) and not insuring Cheers was nonexistent, I am assuming their have cut-offs or something that worked to our favor, so I went ahead and included it. If I factored in grats and fees, then it would have cost 50% more for the policy.

As far as Cheers go, we will pre-pay it for the better rate, then there are three scenarios...

A) (Most Likely) Everything goes as planned, and all this is for naught.

B) (Pretty Unlikely) Something makes us late, and we do not know were will miss the boat until AFTER the deadline to refund Cheers. It is considered nonrefundable at this point, and insured anyway, so it works out.

C) (More Unlikely) Something makes us late, and we DO find out in time to cancel Cheers. Refunded anyway.

Anyway, I have peace of mind for the trip now, and I got a good rate for the insurance, so all is good!