Disappointed in Chops

On Grandeur last week I ate in Chops twice first time I had the 6oz filet which I found on the chewy side and of no better quality than I would expect at an average chain such as Outback. I am not saying the filet was not edible but was not anything close to a tender filet you would expect in a quality steakhouse which Chops claims to be. The second time at Chops I decided to try the Jumbo spicy shrimp and what I received was a real disappointment. I got a bowl with 5 medium at best sized shrimp no where near jumbo stuck into a bed of mashed potatoes. Why in the world world would anyone think shrimp stuck into mashed potatoes is a good combination. The shrimp besides being small Han little to no taste and were nowhere near spicy. I did complain to our waiter and their solution was to bring me a small cup of red pepper flakes to sprinkle on the shrimp. I have eaten at Chops on all of our previous cruises and have noticed a slow deterioration in food quality and not worth the ever increasing additional charge.

I don't even want to tell you about our experiences on Chops especially the most worst horrible experience we had on the Oasis last month. I agree, the place is not good at all and all Chops on every cruise we went to are all the same. Why we keep going?....because we only eat at specialty restaurants and keep hoping that the Chops on that particular cruise got better, but it never does and after our last horrible experience we never ever go back!

We were just on Enchantment and we ate at Chops twice. I have to say the quality has definitely declined. Sides are small and just average. Steaks were just ok. We felt the overall quality of the food all over the ship has declined.

We typically eat in specialty restaurants most nights when we cruise, but we are rethinking this for our Allure cruise next year.

Dinner at Chops on our Seranade TA a few weeks ago was really good, although I am not a fan of the new menu. My husband had a ribeye and I had a NY strip, both were excellent.

Sherri:)

I don't even want to tell you about our experiences on Chops especially the most worst horrible experience we had on the Oasis last month. I agree, the place is not good at all and all Chops on every cruise we went to are all the same. Why we keep going?....because we only eat at specialty restaurants and keep hoping that the Chops on that particular cruise got better, but it never does and after our last horrible experience we never ever go back!

Genuine question here as we have never eaten in speciality restaurants apart from Jamie’s on Anthem.

Is it the service that keeps you dining only at speciality restaurants if the actual food isn’t particularly good.

Sometimes we think that a quieter restaurant with more personal service would be really nice. Even if we had to lower our expectation about the actual food not being the step up from the MDR we are lead to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it the service that keeps you dining only at speciality restaurants if the actual food isn’t particularly good.

Sometimes we think that a quieter restaurant with more personal service would be really nice. Even if we had to lower our expectation about the actual food not being the step up from the MDR we are lead to believe.

We usually only eat in a specialty once a cruise. On AD, Chops was very good, but not great. Steaks were cooked properly, and sides were good (smaller than before but that was ok you can always order more) but apps were variable in quality and service was a bit lacking as our waiter was very busy with a bigger table or two. I think specialty is worth it for a change of pace early in the cruise, when you are not yet sick of food, and if you get some kind of coupon or deal. I would not pay full price for each person.

We usually only eat in a specialty once a cruise. On AD, Chops was very good, but not great. Steaks were cooked properly, and sides were good (smaller than before but that was ok you can always order more) but apps were variable in quality and service was a bit lacking as our waiter was very busy with a bigger table or two. I think specialty is worth it for a change of pace early in the cruise, when you are not yet sick of food, and if you get some kind of coupon or deal. I would not pay full price for each person.

Thank you, we have quite a bit of OBC for our Adventure cruise from New York next year so thinking about what to spend it on.

Agree. Chops was lot better when first came on Royal ship's 20 years ago. Now it's still good, better then I eat at home, but not as great...

If I'm paying for something and isn't too my liking will send it back. Most of time what they bring me back is something better...

Chops was very good on last cruise on navigator 6 months ago had lunch there almost every day (suite perk) and also a couple of dinners , but on several other cruises it was not that great, we try to avoid first 2 nights because of crowds.

It seems to me that for some reason Chops is different on different ships. I have gone to Chops 4 out of 7 nights on my last 2 Allure cruises and have loved the dinners there. The first night that we went there, all of us had the larger filet. It was great!

The next night we went to Chops and had asked for the same waiter as his service was outstanding. He suggested to my son that he try the rib eye steak and he did. He has eaten that every time since. My daughter in law and I tried it the night after that and we totally enjoyed it, although neither of us were able to finish it as it is huge!

We are sailing on Allure again next month and there is no doubt we will go to Chops 4 nights again. It is my favorite restaurant on the ship and I am hoping that when I go on Harmony in January, it will be as good as Allure, but from some of the reviews I have read, it isn't as good. I will just have to wait and see.

Been in chops recently on allure, grandeur, and jewel. Generally disappointed in food quality and service. Made comments to concierge and genie and things got a little better but not much. The quality of the cuts of beef seem nothing special.

Hi :)

During our last sailing onboard Anthem we ate at Chops twice. Everything was perfectly cooked the way we ordered it & melted in our mouths. Servers were attentive & the food is an excellent value for the money. I certainly would send back any food in a heartbeat that was not prepared the way I ordered it or if there was another issue with it that I did not like. I would not accept anything else but a full replacement.

:)

Last year on Grandeur in Chops I had a filet that was really bad and did send it back they brought it back to me and it was still really bad so I gave up on it. They offered me a free lunch to replace it and I agreed and they said they would hand pick me a really good filet which they did and it was delicious. I don't understand why they had to make a special effort to give me a good steak it seems to me they should all be good if they are the premium steakhouse they claim to be.

It seems to me that for some reason Chops is different on different ships. I have gone to Chops 4 out of 7 nights on my last 2 Allure cruises and have loved the dinners there. The first night that we went there, all of us had the larger filet. It was great!

The next night we went to Chops and had asked for the same waiter as his service was outstanding. He suggested to my son that he try the rib eye steak and he did. He has eaten that every time since. My daughter in law and I tried it the night after that and we totally enjoyed it, although neither of us were able to finish it as it is huge!

We are sailing on Allure again next month and there is no doubt we will go to Chops 4 nights again. It is my favorite restaurant on the ship and I am hoping that when I go on Harmony in January, it will be as good as Allure, but from some of the reviews I have read, it isn't as good. I will just have to wait and see.

I agree, different on different ships. I am sure we will end up booking it on Allure, as we like the privacy and service.

We were a family of 5 adults on the Oasis last month, went to Chops not expecting for it to be very good as our experiences of Chops on other ships were not good but we figured lets see what happens this time and go....needless to say, one of the sides we ordered were the tator tots and what came to the table, was a bowl of 4 tator tots!!!! One tiny tot for 4 people and one of us had none which was myself. Then you have to use your forks to get the sides and what if somebody is sick, a bad way of spreading germs! We had the seafood tower, asked for a moist towelette or something to wash our hands, waiter is huffy, comes back and says use this, he handed my father in law a half wet napkin and told us to pass it around!!!! Father in law needed a cracker for the crab, he is 79...waiter told him to "use your hands" and walked away!!! The list goes on and on of all negatives...it was the most horrible dining experience in all 10 years!

We were a family of 5 adults on the Oasis last month, went to Chops not expecting for it to be very good as our experiences of Chops on other ships were not good but we figured lets see what happens this time and go....needless to say, one of the sides we ordered were the tator tots and what came to the table, was a bowl of 4 tator tots!!!! One tiny tot for 4 people and one of us had none which was myself. Then you have to use your forks to get the sides and what if somebody is sick, a bad way of spreading germs! We had the seafood tower, asked for a moist towelette or something to wash our hands, waiter is huffy, comes back and says use this, he handed my father in law a half wet napkin and told us to pass it around!!!! Father in law needed a cracker for the crab, he is 79...waiter told him to "use your hands" and walked away!!! The list goes on and on of all negatives...it was the most horrible dining experience in all 10 years!

Sometimes there comes a point where the head waiter needs to earn his/her salary. This is one. I would not have hesitated to have him/her put that waiter in his place.

From what I am seeing it appears to be a big hit or miss you love it or hate it depending on what ship you were on. My issue is why can't the quality of food and service be the same no matter which ship you happen to be on. When we first ate at a Chops on the Grandeur years ago the charge was $25 and the food selection and quality were worth every penny. As the years went by we saw the menu selection decrease and the consistent quality of the food decrease sometimes it was great sometimes it was average and sometimes it just totally missed the mark so I guess I am asking why?

If you are not happy with your meal, talk to your waiter to get the issue resolved. If that doesn’t work talk to the manager, while you are still there. They will do their upmost to make you happy.

I agree that it’s been hit & miss at Chops, but, I have always been “happy” when I left. And don’t hesitate to ask for more sides if you didn’t get enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have had excellent food and service on 4 Allure cruises. Last November, it was awful. The filet was thin and tough and definitely not a filet, in my opinion. We enjoy the ambiance of sitting outside in CP, but we will not eat at Chops on our next cruise. The cost is way too high for the low quality meat. Our waiter was also snobby and inattentive. We were very disappointed as Chops has always been a favorite of ours.