another excursion cancelled

Ugh!! Got an email today that another excursion was cancelled. That makes 2. Really disappointed because these 2 were the ones I wanted to go on the most. We're on the Grandeur to Canada/New England in 3 weeks. Carriage ride with Cadillac Mountain got cancelled and so did the train ride to the Bay of Fundy.

Ugh!! Got an email today that another excursion was cancelled. That makes 2. Really disappointed because these 2 were the ones I wanted to go on the most. We're on the Grandeur to Canada/New England in 3 weeks. Carriage ride with Cadillac Mountain got cancelled and so did the train ride to the Bay of Fundy.

There’s a good chance they will offer these again on board. Book something in its place now and check the Shore Excurions desk once on board.

is it possible to book them independently or are these excursions exclusive to RCI?

Bill

With the it glitches lately for the RCI site they may not be really cancelled. I would contact CS to get the real scoop on whats happening.

OP got an email. Not likely to be a website glitch. Those are excursions vanishing for a while or inability to book.

I usually do a combination of bookings excursions through RCI and doing private bookings. I get so frustrated with RCI . In my last three cruises over 1/2 of the RCI excursions have been cancelled . Generally I have found this out when I return to my cabin after dinner the night before. This doesn't give much time to plan for the next day. I have also found the RCI staff on board that work at the Shore Excursion Team are not very knowledgeable about the excursions.

I've been fortunate that I've only had 1 cancelled (Hurricane Irma) in all of my 26 RCL cruises and that was the beach tour to Orient Bay in St Martin. Plenty of notice given and replaced with Kim Sha Beach at Simpson's Bay.

• I had the same thing happen to me yesterday for a different cruise. I've never had that happen with a cruise line, so was a little surprised. It was hard to find ship excursions that interested me, as it was, and then they cancelled one of the few I booked through them. Make that another excursion passenger they lost to an outside tour company.

Book these on your own...We used Dave's Taxi Tours in St John and booked directly with Acadia National Park Service in Bar Harbor...Both just amazing....something to consider instead of booking with the cruiseline.

In my last three cruises over 1/2 of the RCI excursions have been cancelled . Generally I have found this out when I return to my cabin after dinner the night before. .

At one point in my cruise history Royal had canceled 33% of my booked excursions. I do about 75% private now.

It is baffling to me why anyone would book an excursion through a cruise line. Trip Adviser is your friend. Solid, reputable providers, cheaper, better and smaller crowds. It's a no brainer.[/quotY

You are absolutely correct!

It is baffling to me why anyone would book an excursion through a cruise line. Trip Adviser is your friend. Solid, reputable providers, cheaper, better and smaller crowds. It's a no brainer.

I generally book privately too, for the reasons you stated, but there are times I will book through the ship. An example is if it is a particularly long distance from the ship and the timing is close. Another time was when we were in port on a sunday and the tour was only offered through the ship.

We book independently and thru Royal. It all depends on the local infrastructure. For example, We only book thru RCI when going to Belize. We always book directly when going to Cozumel or Grand Cayman...All depends if there are transportation options if something breaks down on the return trip to the pier....

I will always check whatever cruise line I'm sailing on for shore excursions, plus the Shore Excursions Group (SEG) where Costco members get a 10% discount, and Viator. All three are reputable, plus all three guarantee transportation to the next port if there is a problem.

I don't book with anyone that doesn't have that guarantee.

I was with SEG and Viator last year in Europe: excellent tours.