Embarkation

perfectpc

I agree that P and O seem to make such a big deal about boarding. Even on the smaller ships like Oriana. You get allocated a time. They give out cards of so many different colours. Then call different numbers for different colours. You might not wait but you might wait hours. On the ship almost everything will be closed. If you have one of the later times they will be closing down the food service as you board. Not really a relaxing start to your holiday. All the pleasure of an airport.

On Symphony of the Seas over five thousand people boarded without this fuss.

Best wishes, Stephen.

PS I think it helps that on Royal Caribbean I could upload a photo, register a credit card and print a boarding pass all at home. All checkin needs to do is check passports and health questions. Cruise cards are waiting are for you at your cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk

PS I think it helps that on Royal Caribbean I could upload a photo, register a credit card and print a boarding pass all at home. All checkin needs to do is check passports and health questions. Cruise cards are waiting are for you at your cabin.

Celebrity did not have this facility the last time we sailed with them in 2016 and we were still on board at a time of our choosing within 10/20 minutes of parking the car. I still think security first could be the answer to most of P&O's problems, that and the old dears they rely on to do the check in.

On Symphony we did security first. Please could I ask why you think that will solve the problem?

Because when security gets backed up they slow down or stop checking in, with security first there is never any need to slow down check in. I doubt this would totally solve the slower P&O procedure but it would go a long way to smoothing the process, and probably do away with any need for a seated waiting area.

Because when security gets backed up they slow down or stop checking in, with security first there is never any need to slow down check in. I doubt this would totally solve the slower P&O procedure but it would go a long way to smoothing the process, and probably do away with any need for a seated waiting area.

I don't quite see that. People will arrive and queue for security and then have to sit and wait for check-in. I can't see it would make any difference unless they had as many security channels as check-in desks.

I don't quite see that. People will arrive and queue for security and then have to sit and wait for check-in. I can't see it would make any difference unless they had as many security channels as check-in desks.

Well it works at city terminal and there is rarely any need for passengers to be seated, they just head for the check in queue and, as I said earlier, you are generally on board within 15/20 minutes of arrival.

We arrived at the terminal@12.30 with a check in time of 15.30. We arrived early as hotel checkout was 12.We had hoped to board earlier but expected to wait, however we were on board by 13.15......not bad at all. This was 3 weeks ago.

Even better to be on in 15 minutes on Celebrity- and effectively get another half days holiday

City terminal has more efficient staff IMHO. I have never had a seat there - at most stood in line for 10 minutes. There are also speedier queues for disabled and higher loyalty tiers but mostly they do t need to be used as you are straight through

Still as long as the P&O “loyals” put up with the current P&O system it will continue

I suppose security has a finite capacity so people may well have to queue. We expect to queue for security. As long as you then open enough desks people will not have to wait to check in.

I always thought check in was the bottle neck with P and O.

Thank you, Stephen

Have been on Celebrity 4 times and never waited longer than about 15 mins even fly cruises. On Celebrity again in 2 weeks from City so hoping for the same again. As someone said earlier getting on early adds another half day to your holiday.

Never understood why P&O is so slow, we had a couple of bad ones when our friends were not Caribbean grade and we boarded with them, both times on Britannia.

Have been on Celebrity 4 times and never waited longer than about 15 mins even fly cruises. On Celebrity again in 2 weeks from City so hoping for the same again. As someone said earlier getting on early adds another half day to your holiday.

Never understood why P&O is so slow, we had a couple of bad ones when our friends were not Caribbean grade and we boarded with them, both times on Britannia.

How are they going to manage with the new Iona?

We arrived at the terminal@12.30 with a check in time of 15.30. We arrived early as hotel checkout was 12.We had hoped to board earlier but expected to wait, however we were on board by 13.15......not bad at all. This was 3 weeks ago.

Very similar experience last month for us, we had a 15.30 check in, arrived at 13.00 after checking out of our hotel at 12 and were onboard having lunch at 14.00.

They will probably need a 2 day turnaround.;p

I wonder how the whole infrastructure will cope if and when Iona sails from Southampton? 1st time we went on Britannia we were delayed on the motorways and arrived shortly before our designated check-in time of 3pm. However, CPS were so far behind with the parking that it was 4:20pm before I was able to hand over the car keys and go into the terminal.

How will P&O and all the other companies involved cope with an extra 1600 or so passengers?

Damian

I wonder how the whole infrastructure will cope if and when Iona sails from Southampton? 1st time we went on Britannia we were delayed on the motorways and arrived shortly before our designated check-in time of 3pm. However, CPS were so far behind with the parking that it was 4:20pm before I was able to hand over the car keys and go into the terminal.

How will P&O and all the other companies involved cope with an extra 1600 or so passengers?

Damian

If they still insist on not starting boarding until about 12:30 then they will struggle, Celebrity and RCI sometimes start before 11:00am, perhaps someone from P&O could ask how they manage this?

Damian

To have any chance at all I think they will have to be really strict on advised boarding times. Good luck to them!!

Even better to be on in 15 minutes on Celebrity- and effectively get another half days holiday

City terminal has more efficient staff IMHO. I have never had a seat there - at most stood in line for 10 minutes. There are also speedier queues for disabled and higher loyalty tiers but mostly they do t need to be used as you are straight through

Still as long as the P&O “loyals” put up with the current P&O system it will continue

I sail a lot with RC and done a number of cruises with P&O. I agree that RC have better embarkation processes. However, P&O's embarkation process is not a deal breaker for me. Could be better but it is only a minor inconvenience. I don't mind sitting and waiting if I arrive too early.

Just wanted to give our experience of Cunard check in last week as they use a similar process to P&O when you arrive prior to your allocated time.

We were boarding Queen Mary 2 at the Ocean Terminal and allocated 14:30 check in.

Due to checking out of our hotel at midday and having lunch in town, we arrived at the terminal at 13:00.

Upon entering we were given green cards (all the same colour btw) with the letter K. At that time they were checking in those with letter F. Subsequent letters were called approximately every 4 minutes, so that we were in line by 13:20.

We were checked in, and then cleared security and on board by 13:45. Our bags were already outside our cabin which were available as soon as we boarded. Although our key cards didn't work so we had to return to the Pursers Desk to get them replaced.

I think the layout of the Ocean Terminal helps as it definitely helps passenger flow better than the Mayflower terminal.

However, you still can't beat RCI boarding Oasis of the Seas (in excess of 5,600 passengers), drop off bags 10:30, enter terminal, clear security, check in by 10:50, wait 10 mins before boarding starts at 11:00, on board by 11:15, drink in hand and watching others get lunch at 11:30 when the various venues open.

Cabins on RCI are not available until 13:00, but the number of venues open for lunch keeps people occupied until then.

Edited by peteukmcr

We've only cruised P&O once before and had a 3.30 embarkation time. We had to check out of our Southampton hotel at 11.30 so decided to go to the port and just wait - have a coffee and snack etc. We got there about 12 ish and were given a card with a letter on it. We were called at 12.50pm and was on the ship at 1.05pm. We didn't expect this, but didn't want to wander the shops in the rain, and were quite prepared for a long wait. I guess we were just lucky

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

We were on Azura on 26th May.

Having the car collect took over 30 minutes of queueing in the blazing sun, so not fun. We then waited a further 10 minutes for a porter to collect the bags.

Once in the terminal we were only sat for 10 minutes though before checked in and onboard, boarded around 3:15 in the end.