Alaska Excitement

Hoyaheel

All the dresses are nice. I would probably go with the tank dress .It looks a little dressier .

Thanks!

To clarify, I actually have a totally different dress I'm wearing for formal night and a dinner at TK grill. Not that it's very formal on Seabourn, but I have a full maxi dress with bodice embroidery to wear then....

All the other nights are casual (smart casual? Can't remember their wording off the top of my head)

Have finished finding my warmth layers throughout my house, and my waterproof layers, all set out and ready to pack....

Just over a week until we leave and I cannot figure out which dress I want to bring:confused:

I have too many choices, for evenings I'm bringing a merlot Eileen Fisher jersey dress and either a black tank (misook) or black long sleeve silk jersey (eileen fisher)

I have warmth layers (scarves, cardigans) on my packing list, so I'm not too worried about it being too cold. Or too hot to wear the long sleeve. But I just can't decide.

Any justifications for one over the other? My husband has a slight preference for the tank dress but otherwise liked all the dresses I made him watch me try on last night ;p

Doing more packing today - making sure the medical bag is stocked, pulling out my toiletries, grabbing the warmth layers and other items that aren't in use in my wardrobe for the next week....

For the bolded reason alone I would pack the black tank:hearteyes: I think it will be more versatile with dressing up or down and sweater/no sweater too.

I also really liked the merlot, but didn't really care for the long sleeved black (for my tastes). If you have room, I'd pack the merlot too.

I'd bring the tank dress. First, I'm partial to picking dresses my DH particularly likes...so I concur with picking it for that reason. But also...it seems more versatile to me. You could layer it up or down as needed.

I'm also partial to sleeveless...I think they are more comfortable, even with a sweater or other long-sleeved layer on top. Also...I find that sleeveless in general stays fresher longer than any dress with sleeves!;p And like you...I wear my clothes more than once so that's always a plus.

I, too, am really hoping you do a report on your cruise! I've very interested in that cruise line and so many of the ports that aren't frequented by the bigger ships.

As I noted originally, the merlot is coming. My choice is which of the black to also bring - tank or long sleeves ;-)

Sorry I missed that - it's what I get for multi-tasking:o

Glad you get to take two - I often find dresses more comfortable than pants. Anita expressed my thoughts better than I did;)

Anita - how many prs pants did your husband take?? Trying to figure out - it's a little more complicated than me because while I have a couple outfits I'll mix/match for the evening, right now all the pants I have picked out for husband are day & night. I have 4pr, but am thinking (even with free laundry on the ship) maybe 5pr is better? Thoughts? Entire trip is 16 days.....

And, have decided (for now....) on the black tank, the merlot knit, and the embroidered maxi dress for my evenings. Thanks!!!

Our trip was 14 days total...and we didn't do laundry. My DH took 5 pairs total. Two pairs were casual cargos. Three pairs were technical fabric, quick dry / water resistant type. DS brought 5 pairs too. Same deal, 3 technical and 2 casual.

When we got to the end of our trip, DS had NOT worn one of the casual pants, which made him so happy, he could travel home in unworn pants...he was mighty sick of those 4 pairs, especially since the 3 technical fabric ones were the same pant in 3 different colors.

DH also had a pair that he had worn once because he had also brought shorts for a couple days.

If you have access to laundry...and you don't mind using it...then I think 4 would probably be okay with laundry...but 5 might be a happier number if you have more active activities planned (hiking, etc.).

Thanks! I think I'll pick out 5 (same here re: technical fabric- but they're still fine for dinner and look nice with his sports coat ;-) and let him decide how many he wants to bring....

He will bring 1 pr shorts/swim trunks, but our trip is later than yours - we're not expecting too much "shorts" weather....

We ended up not wearing a lot of the things that we took with us because I of course overpacked. We also wore several things more than once. We lucked out with the weather and never wore our warm clothes, coats and fleece. We ended up going to the pool everyday and came home with a tan. Never know what you need in Alaska haha.

We also booked Alaska for next year on the Celebrity Solstice. I'm looking forward to sailing celebrity again after several years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

We ended up not wearing a lot of the things that we took with us because I of course overpacked.

Did you travel with a man and if so, how many prs pants did you pack? And use?

I'm still waffling ;p

But also, we got a new cruise invoice last night - husband emails to me, says "nothing new, no clue why we got this". I look at it and say - our cabin changed! We actually got an upgrade ;-) [same size cabin but 2 decks higher, still midshop, but full glass railing instead of half metal, so that's nice ;-)]

I'm still waffling ;p

But also, we got a new cruise invoice last night - husband emails to me, says "nothing new, no clue why we got this". I look at it and say - our cabin changed! We actually got an upgrade ;-) [same size cabin but 2 decks higher, still midshop, but full glass railing instead of half metal, so that's nice ;-)]

Yes with my husband. I think he took 2 pairs or Jeans, one pair of dress pants, and 2 or 3 pairs of shorts. We only had a week but all was ok to wear multiple times (with the exception of our hiking clothes because it was hot and had bug spray on them).

We also only got off the ship once during the week so we were not really out and about where we may get dirty.

I'm still waffling ;p

Oh and how exciting for the upgrade!!!! That's never happened to me!

I'm still waffling ;p

Hey there :) I've been lurking on your thread but haven't posted yet, congrats on the upgrade :D Regarding men's pants, do you have access to laundry service on board? If so, my rule is 3 pairs, one pair wearing, one pair at the laundry, & one pair for dinner wear, that gets worn the next day on shore, rotating each pair as it come back from laundry. We've taken 4 pairs before, but one just gets unused as there's always a clean pair with this system. :) Depends on how light you want to pack.

Yep, we have free laundry (though now we're two decks away from it instead of 4 doors down....) But he doesn't really want to do laundry that often. 4 prs would be the minimum for this trip, I think.

I'm having my own problems figuring out which of my 384 prs black pants I want to bring. Right now, I think I have 8prs on my guest bed to figure this out ;-) I was really good on my last AK trip - I wore everything I brought. Although I only wore the goretex rain pants when everything else was in the laundry :-)

Yep, we have free laundry (though now we're two decks away from it instead of 4 doors down....) But he doesn't really want to do laundry that often. 4 prs would be the minimum for this trip, I think.

I'm having my own problems figuring out which of my 384 prs black pants I want to bring. Right now, I think I have 8prs on my guest bed to figure this out ;-) I was really good on my last AK trip - I wore everything I brought. Although I only wore the goretex rain pants when everything else was in the laundry :-)

LOL…..384 pairs? …...I have 275;)

And congrats on that upgrade:D

Yes...Congrats on the upgrade! Sounds like your balcony viewing will be much nicer!

Bring what makes you happy to bring. They say that stress is caused by a conflict between what you want to do and what you think you SHOULD do. What you should do is bring what you want to bring. End of story. It's your vacation...there is a natural amount of stress inherent in travel...but I think that you can trust your instincts to bring what will contribute to the enjoyment of your vacation without being so much that it detracts because you have to deal with too much. This is just my impression of you from reading your posts here. Trust your instincts.

I think editing goes easier when you are actually packing. So set out what you WANT to start...you know you may be changing your mind when you start folding and packing and putting things into your luggage.

Congrats on the upgrade!

Yes...Congrats on the upgrade! Sounds like your balcony viewing will be much nicer!

Bring what makes you happy to bring. They say that stress is caused by a conflict between what you want to do and what you think you SHOULD do. What you should do is bring what you want to bring. End of story. It's your vacation...there is a natural amount of stress inherent in travel...but I think that you can trust your instincts to bring what will contribute to the enjoyment of your vacation without being so much that it detracts because you have to deal with too much. This is just my impression of you from reading your posts here. Trust your instincts.

I think editing goes easier when you are actually packing. So set out what you WANT to start...you know you may be changing your mind when you start folding and packing and putting things into your luggage.

GREAT advice! I don't worry about what I do/don't pack since I follow this too.

Did some back to school/pre-cruise shopping yesterday. I need to look online for our son - he is tall and very thin so we can't find pants that fit. The closest we could find were 29 x 30, but still almost falling off the hips and short in the leg. Hoping I can find some 28 x32 online. Does anyone else have this issue and brands/stores that work well?

Daughter is starting to lose some weight and getting more excited about clothes. Found a nice pair of ankle length jeans, but she still wants to find a few more tops.

I was able to get a swim bra/suit combo for 1/2 off. Still much more than I've ever spent, but at least now I know the size to find. I'm a 34GG UK/34 J US so it's no wonder I was so frustrated at standard stores.

I had a friend in college who was 6'7" and the only place he could find pants/jeans was Nordstrom (of course, he grew up in Seattle so that probably was a factor ;-) Back then, at least, Levis could reliably be found in extended inseams....

I'm ok on some of my black pants - they ones that are different styles or fabrics. Like, chicos wide leg travelers for dinner, a skinny stretch twill for daytime, lightweight stretch crepe for travel, water resistant for hiking/touring. My biggest problem is I have 4 or 5 pairs that are "travel" pants - wicking, similar shapes (though a couple are ankle length and a couple full length) I really REALLY don't want to pack more than I want/need. But I have some sort of mental block on picking the actual pants to bring. I will NOT bring them all because I don't need them all.

That's my pep talk for the day :D

This is the first upgrade we've ever had on our cabin - super excited!!!

. Length S-XL.

I have never seen inseam (length) in S-XL. What in the world does that mean??

I see these Craghoppers but they only have length = R

These have length L, R, S at least, but waist doesn't start until 38.....

The convertible pants also have L, R, S but waist doesn't start until 30.

On Sierra Trading Post, you can search for men's pants by waist & inseam though ;-)

For instance, this slim Levi's chino is available in 28X32

Hoyaheel, the S was 30, R was a 32, L was 34 & store didn’t have XL, but said they were available on line in some styles. My DH had to go up in waist size (ooh, he didn’t like that [emoji23]), we measured when we got them home & the 36 we bought was actually a 34. Guess you have to try them to see if they’ll work. We’re fortunate, we have a Sierra Trading Post here in town.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I totally get it, I tend to find a pair I like, & then buy multiples, because I'm extremely lazy when it comes to shopping. :')

Hoyaheel, the S was 30, R was a 32, L was 34

Yeah, S, R, L I understand. But you had typed S- XL which I interpreted as S, M, L, Xl sizes instead of Short, Regular, Long lengths.... I was happy to see that the STP website was more clear when I checked ;-)