Nugget Falls with Knee Scooter

ccarroll57

We leave for our cruise on the 15th and my son is still nursing a badly sprained ankle. The doctor is unsure if he will be off crutches by the time we go but is hopeful. In the event he is not, I am looking at borrowing a knee scooter to help him get around. I'm worried about our day in Juneau as one of our plans was to hike to Nugget Falls.

Does anyone have any experience with that trail with a knee scooter or even a wheelchair? He is in great shape other than the ankle but I want to know if it will be a big issue for him on the trail in the event his ankle is not healed.

If he is planning to "borrow: a knee scooter, I don't think that this will work The ship does not have medical devices that they loan. He will probably have to bring it w him.

DON

I did not expect to borrow from the ship. We would borrow from a friend and bring with us.

Nugget Falls trail is not paved. It is a mix of worn paths and gravel. Frankly not a choice I would even try unless having full mobility. A wheelchair is very difficult navigation as well.

We took the nugget falls trail yesterday and saw a few wheelchairs on it. It was very level and had been compacted. There was someone working with a small machine compacting gravel on the edges. The very end that goes out to the falls would be tough but there is an overlook he could get to.

My daughter has a knee scooter after ankle surgery, she went to a concert in Napa Valley this weekend. The Scooter was a casualty due to rough terrain. It was designed for getting around house, office etc, not hiking or extended unpaved surfaces. Make sure you take allen wrenches with you. My daughter had to stop at Ace Hardware to get her knee scooter repaired.

Edited by Cruise2getaway

Also if you hit a rock with the knee scooter you can go head over heels. I try using one these last couple of month because of foot surgery and I hated it. It is more work then anything. For getting around I ended up use one of those walkers that you put the tennis balls on. Even if you hit a change in the surface like going from tile to carpet you have to be very careful. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forums