BON VOYAGE Sea Princess World Cruise 2018

Yes, to tick off the bucket list, you have to get off the ship and explore, unless it is Suez or Panama Canal, then it is difficult, I found. :eek:

Now ye olde Sea Princess is off to Pitcairn Island - Scenic Cruising. Some locals might come on board to sell some bits and pieces. Are any of them still in the purpose built gaol they built there only a few years ago ? I won't go into the crimes.:rolleyes::evilsmile:

I met the Kiwi judge who presided at the trials and we had a discussion about Pitcairn. He said that the men were in 'home detention' but they were allowed out when a ship arrives as they need their muscle. A large percentage of the islanders are older people who cannot do this physically demanding job.

I met the Kiwi judge who presided at the trials and we had a discussion about Pitcairn. He said that the men were in 'home detention' but they were allowed out when a ship arrives as they need their muscle. A large percentage of the islanders are older people who cannot do this physically demanding job.

Correct, the Island could not survive with out younger men to do the manual labour tasks. I have my own ideas on what should be done re Pitcairn Island, but it is unprintable on here.:evilsmile: I bet the pax on the cruise ships that anchor off Pitcairn are not told of the recent sordid history, although many of the Aussies would know.:o:(

I heard they did 2 laps of the island (circumnavigation that is). No word whether the locals got out to the ship or not.

According to the blogger 'Still Travelling' Pitcairn Islanders no longer come out to the ships. So the locals did not board Sea Princess with their trinkets, something to do with Health and Safety and/or Princess Liability.:cool:

The blogger also reports several elderly lady pax sporting injuries from falls around the ship, during movement.

According to the blogger 'Still Travelling' Pitcairn Islanders no longer come out to the ships. So the locals did not board Sea Princess with their trinkets, something to do with Health and Safety and/or Princess Liability.:cool:

The blogger also reports several elderly lady pax sporting injuries from falls around the ship, during movement.

That is very disappointing news about the locals not visiting the ship anymore. Why cruise all the way there to see a rock?

That is very disappointing news about the locals not visiting the ship anymore. Why cruise all the way there to see a rock?
People may say why go to Uluru just to see a rock?

Why do you do anything or go to see or do something? the answer is because you can or because it is there. :D

I was a bit surprised reading that, I have a friend who's parents are on the island - in fact I met his mother last year when they came out to the Queen Victoria when we called there last year. I suspect they didn't call for operational reasons because we as we learnt there last year, 85% pf their income is derived from Cruise Ships calling to the Island. Its too big an earner for them to walk away from...

I was a bit surprised reading that, I have a friend who's parents are on the island - in fact I met his mother last year when they came out to the Queen Victoria when we called there last year. I suspect they didn't call for operational reasons because we as we learnt there last year, 85% pf their income is derived from Cruise Ships calling to the Island. Its too big an earner for them to walk away from...

When we were on a cruiseship that called at Pitcairn they tried to tell us that also. I did not believe it then and I do not believe it now :D. The UK government pours in many millions of pounds every year. The main cash earner for the islanders is on-line sales of stamps and coins and also the sale of the domain name .pn, the same as the fictional country 'Panem' from the franchise Hunger Games. Sales of T-shirts and trinkets to the handful of cruiseships that come by each year would bring in some money, but not very much.

I am sure some of the people may get a nice little bit of income out selling to cruise ship passengers but I cannot imagine it being 85% of their income. Of course maybe it is and they really do earn sweet FA.

There would be a small amount from passing yachts and smaller boats so the amount from cruise ship visits could be 85% of their cash earnings.

I hope they are living a very sustainable life - growing all their own food etc, as I cannot imagine them being able to afford importing all their food.

They can't grow a lot of food because there is no arable land on the island. I suppose the small population doesn't need a lot of food. There are a few fruit trees and small gardens. Unfortunately in most of these island communities, even when they can grow food, often they rely on canned food, even canned fish.