Journey June 7-17: Porto canceled ---replaced with Vigo

Just2guys

Most of us on this sailing I'm sure have heard by now that Porto has been canceled and replaced with Vigo and all excursions in Porto canceled as well.

For those of you who have been to Vigo, would you recommend the walking tour of the city excursion they are offering as something that would be worthwhile? We have never been to Vigo, so it seems like a good way to get to know the city and see some of the sites.

Thanks for any information you could provide.

I was in Vigo two weeks ago on Celebrity Silhouette. To be honest it's a pretty low key port and nothing much to do there. It's very easy to DIY and you don't need an organised tour. There was a HOHO bus at the port and we spotted a little white train passing us, but I'm not sure where the embark stop is.

There are some amazing fresh seafood restaurants as Vigo is a huge fishing port. They were pulling fresh seafood off the boats as we passed them in the morning. It's a really Spanish town and not at all touristy but there were some Galician singers and dancers performing just outside the cruise terminal. There were loads of taxi's there offering local tours for a fraction of the shorex cost too.

We shopped in Rua Urzaiz, the main st and did some people watching for a bit, then had a nice lunch with some excellent local white wine. We jumped in a taxi to get back to Silhouette and it cost just €7.

Other people onboard went to the Cies Islands by ferry where there is a spectacular beach apparently.

Hope this gives you some idea's.

We have been to Vigo a couple of times. A common excursion is to travel to Santiago de Compostela. You can do this with the ships excursion or on your own. I am not sure where small ships dock, but on our cruise with MSC, we docked very near to every where in the City.

There are very interesting sculptures representing migration right at the port: a man leaving his family behind.

Vigo is also easy to do on your own. We have walked in the old city and in the new part of town. Nice seafood if you like that.

Ivi

A very interesting we did there is to go to the restaurant district where widows have been given the franchise to sell excellent shellfish, which you can take to any restaurant, buy drinks and enjoy the shellfish.

Most of us on this sailing I'm sure have heard by now that Porto has been canceled and replaced with Vigo and all excursions in Porto canceled as well.

For those of you who have been to Vigo, would you recommend the walking tour of the city excursion they are offering as something that would be worthwhile? We have never been to Vigo, so it seems like a good way to get to know the city and see some of the sites.

Thanks for any information you could provide.

Do you know why the port was changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Haven't been to Vigo but think of it as a gateway for Santiago de Compostela - which is absolutely worth it as a shore excursion. The town is charming, the Cathedral is very impressive – and you will see the peregrines [pilgrims] coming into town at the end of their 100+ mile trek to embrace the statue of Saint James in gratitude for their journey. It is very touching. There are also many bakeries in town that make Tarta de Santiago, a rich almond desert.

Do you know why the port was changed?

Industrial action by Portuguese port staff preventing ship pilots from operating. I have a friend onboard and it's a bit of a challenge because it's turnaround day for Journey in Lisbon on Thursday (arrives Wednesday) and they will attempt to have a Spanish pilot join them on the ship.

Phil

If you like the beach there are several nice ones about a 10 minute taxi ride from the port. Unusually they are rather uncrowded and used mainly by the locals as most tourists don't seem to know they are there.

If you wanted to do a ship's tour Santiago de Compostela is by far the best option

I can understand Porto being cancelled it’s quite a tricky port with windy conditions. Last time we were there on Quest, we were delayed departing as they had to call up one, then two, then three tugs to move us off the pier. It’s a bit like Mykonos in that respect if the winds in the one direction. Even with a pilot onboard the tugs I suspect might not cooperate.

We’ve had a few stops in Vigo. Like BillC, we’ve had some great eating out there. We also loved a trip to Santiago especially seeing all the young (and some less young) pilgrims who are arriving from their long walk. It’s a fascinating place. When we went with Azamara they provided an “on your own” option. Even if they don’t I’d say just go for it, it’s such a positive uplifting place.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our Oceania cruise last September, we took a day trip to Santiago de Compostela with Spain Day Tours from the port of Ferrol, which is about the same distance as Vigo is from that city. They run that tour from Vigo and I would recommend it. We had a delightful guide and were given a fair amount of free time to visit the cathedral, have lunch and wander the area. It was thoroughly enjoyable.

That being said, we did a trip to the Duoro from Porto on that same cruise, also arranged by Spain Day Tours, which was another great day. Plus we spent 2 days in Porto as part of an independent land trip 3 years ago. We loved Porto - lots to see and do, so I hope that if you have never been there, you will have the opportunity to visit in the future.

Hot news from Capt Johannes . Strike is off. Porto is back on schedule! Too late for us on this leg to get to Portimao and we are overnight in Cadiz now.

Been to both Portimao and Cadiz. My daughter used to live in Alvor just a few miles from Portimao.

You lucked out....Cadiz is much nicer. :D

So, the last few days have been lots of fun, first cancelling our Porto tour, then adding a tour in Vigo. This afternoon the reverse, cancelling our Vigo tour, then adding our original Porto tour. Thank you Tours by Locals. Looking forward to one (or 2) of those complimentary drinks!