New Dinner Menu in GDR

Aloha 1

We were just on Riviera for a relatively short cruise so cannot comment about the repetition, but we dined two nights in a row in the GDR and I was anxious to have the caviar appetizer that a tablemate had had the night before. Turns out that although the menu appeared to offer the same dish, it was a completely different, and fabulous, caviar dish. Someone said they changed the dish nightly.

The menu is a very different look than before, with some suggested 'Chef's suggested' pairings of app, entree, dessert. The menu itself was more visually appealing and from what I can recall, there were ample choices of each category.

Technically I think this itinerary was the first post-world-cruise one, not the last leg of a world cruise (I think worldies disembarked July 1st?).

I think "Tapas on the Terrace" may have been a label on O a *long* time ago, but Terrace is indeed onboard - it's the buffet (and we have sometimes dined tapas style there, with lots of small plates).

Actually, I found an article from late 2016 talking about Tapas on the Terrace. But maybe what they offerred didn't match the poster's expectation of a tapas menu.

http://cruisediva.blogspot.com/2016/12/oceania-cruises-introduces-evening.html

And you are correct, the bad reviews that talked about it being the end of the ATW cruise were from June.

By the way, standard Bouillabaise comes with Rouille, which is similar to a garlic mayonnaise (no raw egg, however). And I have also had it served with aioli (garlic mayonnaise) as well, which is quite delicious. A chacun son gout...

Oh, met several others for whom this was their first Oceania cruise. Every single one of them we spoke to also said it would be their last. Frequent Oceania cruises said they liked Oceania, but found aspects of this cruise disappointing.

Out of curiosity, which aspects did the others not like? Were they as critical of the food as you were?

BTW I see you have MSC listed on your future cruise list. I hope you're going to be in the Yacht Club, because if you aren't, I can hardly wait to see what your review of that cruise is! Even if it is in the YC you may not be happy.

Actually, I found an article from late 2016 talking about Tapas on the Terrace. But maybe what they offerred didn't match the poster's expectation of a tapas menu.

http://cruisediva.blogspot.com/2016/12/oceania-cruises-introduces-evening.html

And you are correct, the bad reviews that talked about it being the end of the ATW cruise were from June.

Good find that 2016 article!

Hint: look for most of these types of items at the ends of the O ship central buffet island and ... someone help me remember where they live in the R ship Terrace layout. I know they are there because I make a beeline for the jamon iberico and such like :)

Sorry to hear your experience was so unhappy. Your experience does match with ours. Perhaps yours was an aberration? But I can see why you don't want to give O another chance.

I won't flame you!

I agree with Paul's comments. This sounds like a real anomaly but those of us who love Oceania over many cruises want to know when there are problems as well as when everything was just perfect.

Mura

Just returned from Marina, Amsterdam to Amsterdam. Must say the GDR was extremely disappointing. Except for 2 below expectations in GDR, we dined in Specialty, La Reserve or Terrace Cafe. The Terrace Cafe was better than GDR. Dining experience was excellent in all venues except for GDR. I left my comment cards.

Just returned from Marina, Amsterdam to Amsterdam. Must say the GDR was extremely disappointing. Except for 2 below expectations in GDR, we dined in Specialty, La Reserve or Terrace Cafe. The Terrace Cafe was better than GDR. Dining experience was excellent in all venues except for GDR. I left my comment cards.

What didn't you like? The new menus? The food preparation? Did you like it on earlier O cruises?

This is why food is subjective

We were on the same sailing the worst meal we had was Red Ginger

We ate mostly in the GDR & the food was very good

A couple of misses but overall it was good

Everyone has different tastes & expectations

just go & judge for yourself

My experiences have been that I have had outrageously excellent meals at some meals. I have had some horribly prepared, bland, and tasteless meals also. Lots of meals in between. I’ve seen the wait staff warn cruisers away from some dishes because of the number of complaints. The number of good meals, I’ve had, far outnumber the number of poorly prepared ones.

Some of the posters here claiming they’ve never had a poor meal, if true, is the true anomaly!! Or perhaps just a reflection of a common lack of discerning taste and smell senses.

As Lyn said, food is highly subjective!

We typically eat in the MDR on the second and next to last nights when they have higher quality ingredients like caviar, foie gras, and lobster.

Otherwise, we try to get into the specialty restaurants or (on the last night) have room service from them, which is available with a PH and above.

What didn't you like? The new menus? The food preparation? Did you like it on earlier O cruises?

Yes, I did like the food in GDR on earlier O cruises. I agree that everyone has different tastes, and what one prefers another may not. I ordered Veal Parmesan, and the breading was so thick and hard it was difficult to cut with a knife. Certainly had difficulty chewing it. The other entree was beef steak. I asked which cut of beef and was told a NY Strip. I asked for a more tender cut and the waiter brought over the manager that said the beef would be sirloin, and they would try for a tender cut. I ordered it medium. It was cooked medium but so tough I could not chew it. Others mentioned the same opinion. One lady on a tour said she couldn't cut her fish with a knife at GDR, and another lady made the same comment about beef steak as I did. The appetizers and salad were good. I was just so disappointed with the entrees those 2 nights, but had great meals the rest of the cruise.

Anoldyellowdog;

Over breading veal dishes on O is a common theme. Our last night aboard we ate in the Terrace and I got the Vienna schnitzel. It might have been Miami schnitzel or Omaha schnitzel but definitely nowhere close to Vienna schnitzel. Cutting into it, the crusty dry breading was twice as thick as the meat! The veal meanwhile had been cooked to leather while getting all the breading cooked. I took it as another chef’s “interpretation “ of a dish and not actually like the original dish at all!

Yes, I did like the food in GDR on earlier O cruises. I agree that everyone has different tastes, and what one prefers another may not. I ordered Veal Parmesan, and the breading was so thick and hard it was difficult to cut with a knife. Certainly had difficulty chewing it. The other entree was beef steak. I asked which cut of beef and was told a NY Strip. I asked for a more tender cut and the waiter brought over the manager that said the beef would be sirloin, and they would try for a tender cut. I ordered it medium. It was cooked medium but so tough I could not chew it. Others mentioned the same opinion. One lady on a tour said she couldn't cut her fish with a knife at GDR, and another lady made the same comment about beef steak as I did. The appetizers and salad were good. I was just so disappointed with the entrees those 2 nights, but had great meals the rest of the cruise.

First mistake is ordering ANY steak "medium".

Some people don’t actually like steak, but they love A-1, Heinz 57, Worchestire Sauce, or ketchup. Ordering the steak well done is just an excuse for them to eat the sauce. Kind of like the people that put globs of bbq sauce on the ribs, they’re just interested in the sauce.

We were just joking! Did you miss the smiling emoticon?

But there are chefs/restauranteurs who will adamantly refuse to make a well done steak or provide ketchup for it.

Then there was my father, for whom a steak was, er, rarely rare enough. I remember that the frustrated chef at the restaurant overlooking Bergen (at the top the funicular) finally served him a large slab of completely raw steak.

We ended up eating a smorgasbord dinner at the Hotel Viking in town...

Mura;

I remember a saying from a Cattlemen’s Association magazine a couple years back:

“ the greatest insult a person can make to a cattlemen is to order his steak past medium. Cattlemen have spent their careers perfecting genetics and proper feeding techniques so to deliver the juiciest and most tasty products as possible to their customers table. Then to have a customer cook all that flavor away by over cooking is indeed an insult “

To JPR’s comment, ‘I’ve been in steak houses with posted policy of “ we don’t guarantee steaks cooked beyond medium “.

Edited by pinotlover

I don't disagree, Pinot, but I just don't like to see these kinds of accusations. People who want their steak medium or more well done aren't going to change their minds and they don't need to be abused here.

It's many years ago but we were at a well known steak place in Tampa. They make it quite clear on the menu that they won't overcook steak ... at least that was the case THEN. But I doubt they've changed their minds.

This restaurant introduced me to bok choy, which they grew in their own garden ...

Mura

I don't disagree, Pinot, but I just don't like to see these kinds of accusations. People who want their steak medium or more well done aren't going to change their minds and they don't need to be abused here.

It's many years ago but we were at a well known steak place in Tampa. They make it quite clear on the menu that they won't overcook steak ... at least that was the case THEN. But I doubt they've changed their minds.

This restaurant introduced me to bok choy, which they grew in their own garden ...

Mura

Mura, that steak place in Tampa.. was it Berns?

Mura, that steak place in Tampa.. was it Berns?

It was! I didn't mention the name because suddenly I couldn't remember what it was!

Pinot, you just reminded me of that incredible wine list. The biggest (or should I say tallest?) one I've ever seen.

Mura

It was! I didn't mention the name because suddenly I couldn't remember what it was!

Pinot, you just reminded me of that incredible wine list. The biggest (or should I say tallest?) one I've ever seen.

Mura

Mura, Pinot, next time you dine there, ask for a tour of the wine cellar.