Is the Australia/New Zealand itinerary worth the flight?

MajMom96

Depends on how much you want to visit Australia and NZ. Living in Australia we are used to long flights and usually by economy. We've flown to Europe a number of times which is an even longer flight. Last year when I was 70 (with all the usual aches and pains) I flew to the US for a 2-week tour - well worth it, I thought. The bottom line is you need to weigh things up - visiting Australia/NZ v uncomfortable flight.

Why not fly one way and cruise the other way? This spring we flew to Sydney, spent a week touring, hopped on the ship for a collector's cruise around NZ, back to Sydney, through the South Pacific, to Hawaii, disembarking in Vancouver. Several cruisers disembarked in Hawaii. The flight, although long was definitely worth it IMO, but I don't know if I would have been thrilled about a long flight in both directions. This is truly a cruise I would replicate, but have so many other bucket list cruises to complete first.

Why not fly one way and cruise the other way? This spring we flew to Sydney, spent a week touring, hopped on the ship for a collector's cruise around NZ, back to Sydney, through the South Pacific, to Hawaii, disembarking in Vancouver. Several cruisers disembarked in Hawaii. The flight, although long was definitely worth it IMO, but I don't know if I would have been thrilled about a long flight in both directions. This is truly a cruise I would replicate, but have so many other bucket list cruises to complete first.

Thanks for the suggestion, but we learned from the r/t Hawaii cruise that we’re not big fans of too many consecutive sea days. Good thought though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the suggestion, but we learned from the r/t Hawaii cruise that we’re not big fans of too many consecutive sea days. Good thought though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would take a trans-Pacific flight over those long, consecutive sea days any time. Get the long, boring part over as quickly as possible. And most trans-Pacific flights leave in the evening so you might be able to get some sleep on the flight.

Our circumnavigation of Australia and New Zealand was 48 days, and included amazing things We snorkeled on the great barrier reef, discovered beer can regatas, met wonderful people and immersed ourselves in beauty. A once in a lifetime trip (for us) well worth the long flight. Our cruise director was an Australian, and he booked lots of local talent along the way, which was fabulous. we did spring for business class (it's an extra three hours to get to LA from MSP), but it was worth it to us. We booked a hotel on points at Circular Quay, walking distance to the port, to decompress from jet lag. This gives you walking access to the Opera House, the port cruises to the zoo and other Sydney locations. Since it was a back to back, we returned to Sydney for an overnight, so got to enjoy local cuisine. Probably one of our top two or three cruises, was great....also got an upgrade from ocean view to veranda for this trip.

No-one can judge for anyone else whether the trip is worth the flight. I'm an American living in Australia and make the flight at least once a calendar year, sometimes heading to the US through SFO and sometimes through Vancouver to meet my family in Quebec for a cruise. I tend to fly Air New Zealand, and find the coach service comparable to coach service on American domestic airlines, with the exception that in-flight entertainment and meals are included in the price. US domestic airlines have deplorable trans-Pacific service in my experience, I would definitely recommend using an Australian airline or Air New Zealand.

What US airline charges for food and entertainment in Economy on long haul international flights?

Our circumnavigation of Australia and New Zealand was 48 days, and included amazing things We snorkeled on the great barrier reef, discovered beer can regatas, met wonderful people and immersed ourselves in beauty. A once in a lifetime trip (for us) well worth the long flight. Our cruise director was an Australian, and he booked lots of local talent along the way, which was fabulous. we did spring for business class (it's an extra three hours to get to LA from MSP), but it was worth it to us. We booked a hotel on points at Circular Quay, walking distance to the port, to decompress from jet lag. This gives you walking access to the Opera House, the port cruises to the zoo and other Sydney locations. Since it was a back to back, we returned to Sydney for an overnight, so got to enjoy local cuisine. Probably one of our top two or three cruises, was great....also got an upgrade from ocean view to veranda for this trip.

Thank you for this info! You’re right about booking the hotel in Sydney on the front of the trip to decompress from the long flight. We will definitely do that! I’d hate to waste the cruise by sleeping all day! 🤣🤣🤣

What US airline charges for food and entertainment in Economy on long haul international flights?

Wondering as well :confused:

I flew American Airlines economy and in flight entertainment was included. Lots of games and movies. Meals included as well.

Only you can assess the "cost/benefit ratio" of the trip.

We did Auckland to Vancouver on the Noordam in the spring last year, we used Air New Zealand business class outbound. The only regret was that, we should have allowed more time on land in New Zealand pre-cruise. General recommendation we received was to allow three weeks each for the north and south islands. We will definitely repeat this cruise, or try the opposite direction in the fall, that's how much we enjoyed it. We will also definitely consider an Australian circumnavigation cruise.

It was a great cruise. We did the 66 day .left out of Seattle and flew home from Auckland

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We did just about the same -- only ours was sailing from San Diego, flying home from Auckland. It was seriously one of the best experiences of my life. Sailing in the southern hemisphere was magical to me -- skies different, horizons different, the eerie "doldrums" area where the sea is like a lake. True magic. We had a fabulous astronomer onboard to talk about the southern skies.

We rented a car in Tasmania and that was an unforgettable day. Every port in New Zealand was interesting. Seeing Hobbiton was fabulous! We stayed extra time in Auckland, rented a car and drove around. Truly that trip was one of the greats.

(Premium economy on Air New Zealand flying home. So comfortable!)

I meant the service was similar to that on US domestic flights, not US airlines' long-haul flights. My experience on US airlines' long-haul flights has been worse than that on their domestic US routes, which is why I will only fly international carriers on the trans-Pacific routes now.

We got back about six weeks ago from a 32-day HAL Cruise from Sydney to Tasmania to New Zealand, the South Pacific to Honolulu. The entire trip was an incredible experience. We had seven to eight ports in NewZealand and it was a highlight for us. Wellington and Auckland were fun, but we really enjoyed the smaller ports like Akaroa, Picton, and Napier. Each port had its own character and personality. As for the flight, it is a long. There is no question about that. You can fly to Honolulu, break up the trip and then fly to Sydney the next day. We did that and it helped with the LONG flights. Good luck!

We got back about six weeks ago from a 32-day HAL Cruise from Sydney to Tasmania to New Zealand, the South Pacific to Honolulu. The entire trip was an incredible experience. We had seven to eight ports in NewZealand and it was a highlight for us. Wellington and Auckland were fun, but we really enjoyed the smaller ports like Akaroa, Picton, and Napier. Each port had its own character and personality. As for the flight, it is a long. There is no question about that. You can fly to Honolulu, break up the trip and then fly to Sydney the next day. We did that and it helped with the LONG flights. Good luck!

Great suggestion! Thanks!

Wondering as well :confused:

I flew American Airlines economy and in flight entertainment was included. Lots of games and movies. Meals included as well.

We have flown to AY/NZ twice and are doing so again this January. First trip United IAD to LAX to SYD. Included meals and entertainment. We were in economy class as we were when we flew Air New Zealand using the same itinerary: IAD to LAX to AUK returning from SYD. The service on both was fine and both flights turned down the lights for those who can sleep . This time we are flying Economy Plus on United: IAD to HOUston to SYD. The Houston to SYD is on a new Dreamliner. Quantas does the same long haul from Houston. We made sure we had at least 3 hours in Houston returning since we will be gong through Customs and it took two hours last time since we were in transit and we had to run to make our next flight. The he TIA did not give any express treatment to people who had Global Access. The January flight is expensive and we were able to use some points to help with the cost. I tried to make sure that we spent the least amount of time in travel.

FYI Flying into LAX and then picking up the flight to SYD needs your attention if you will be mixing airlines. The gates can be far apart and in completely different buildings that are not connected. We found out the hard way.

Yes, the flights are worth the flights and allow a few days to explore AU/NZ cities.

I have made many trips to both Australia and New Zealand and I lived in Australia for several years. I definitely think visiting Australia and NZ is worth the long flight I have to make from the U.S. East Coast. BUT, I would not consider the flight as worthwhile if I were only seeing Australia and NZ via cruiseship. My reason is that some of the best parts of Australia and NZ are in the interior of their respective countries AND you need days, not hours, in these towns--a port stop just doesn't cut it.

My advice to people considering a cruise around Australia and NZ is to think about the purpose of the trip. If the purpose of the trip is to see both countries, then plan a land trip--either guided or, preferably, self-guided. If the purpose of the trip is to take a cruise and, incidentally, see some of Australia and NZ, then a cruise is just fine.

The flights id whats holding us from going to Australia from Vancouver Canada. Because of bad knees I need premium economy or business. Flights make the cruise not viable.

Book early and book economy and pay an extra $120 for the bulk head. You'll have more leg room than Premium Economy

For many years I avoided the really long flights as I'm a bit claustrophobic. We finally decided to give it a try and did Southeast Asia cruise in 2016 and then New/Zealand Australia in January of this year. We flew CLT to LAX and then LAX to Aukland. Lots of movies and reading and a couple Ambien later and I survived in a regular aisle seat.

We came early to Aukland to adjust and that went fine - we were very active even the day we landed. Highlights for us were:

Aukland - good restaurant town, fun neighborhoods (Britomart and Ponsonby) and then ferry to Waiheke Island and the vineyards there.

Rotorua - We liked the thermal areas and Maori village. Your mileage may vary.

Napier - we went on a river raft trip. Great guide.

Wellington - highlight for us. Lots of walking. Good museum and gardens.

Akaroa - took a very long bus ride up into the mountains to see 'Middle Earth'. Great scenery but really long ride.

Port Chalmers/Dunedin. Cute town. We did a bike tour of the peninsula. Another great guide. Similar to the raft trip we like meeting locals and being active so we really enjoyed this day.

Half Moon Bay/Oman. Cute little town way off the regular tourist map. Hiked here on our own.

Fjordland cruising. Loved this. Reminded us of Norway.

Sea days crossing to Tasmania - very rough seas which is not uncommon here. Nothing blocks the wind for thousands of miles.

Tasmania - great local guide.

Melbourne - we are big tennis fans so we went to the Australian Open.

Sydney - we rented electric bikes with a guide. Very efficient way to get around. Stayed on a couple extra days. We really enjoyed Sydney.

I'm certainly glad I did it. Our style is active, small groups, try and find local highlights and we were very satisfied.

Good luck!

Yes, of course it is worth the long flight. Over the years, we have stopped over at all the South Pacific Islands/NZ en route, on economy. The secret is to make the journey part of the holiday.

I wouldn't travel long haul just for a cruise, but would for a land travel/cruise overseas.

Now, I made a decision to travel overseas less, but travel business class direct.

We need to go back. Two days after landing at Gold Coast we parked the car at the side of the road. Walked a short distance to the most beautiful, deserted beach we have ever seen. As far as we could see. The scenery only got better.

Cannot count the times we had a bottle of wine, some cheese, and some fruit while sitting on or above beautiful beaches in Australia. Or a cold beer in a social club restaurant. We met wonderful, hospitable people. When you spend some time driving, or even flying from places like Perth to Sydney you get an understanding of how vast the country is. The other plus we find is that Australians have as similar outlook and sense of humour as do Canadians.

We are certainly going back!

We need to go back. Two days after landing at Gold Coast we parked the car at the side of the road. Walked a short distance to the most beautiful, deserted beach we have ever seen. As far as we could see. The scenery only got better.

Cannot count the times we had a bottle of wine, some cheese, and some fruit while sitting on or above beautiful beaches in Australia. Or a cold beer in a social club restaurant. We met wonderful, hospitable people. When you spend some time driving, or even flying from places like Perth to Sydney you get an understanding of how vast the country is. The other plus we find is that Australians have as similar outlook and sense of humour as do Canadians.

We are certainly going back!

Yes, we are blessed with beautiful uncrowded beaches on the Gold Coast. My favourites are The Spit, Main Beach and South Stradbroke Island. When we have visitors from overseas, we get them to drive between the Gold Coast and Sydney, stopping off at all the little headlands and beaches en route. In winter, you can't beat a drive north to tropical Northern Queensland. I agree, with Canadians and Australians both being members of the Commonwealth, we have a common heritage and a similar sense of humour.

Yes, we are blessed with beautiful uncrowded beaches on the Gold Coast. My favourites are The Spit, Main Beach and South Stradbroke Island. When we have visitors from overseas, we get them to drive between the Gold Coast and Sydney, stopping off at all the little headlands and beaches en route. In winter, you can't beat a drive north to tropical Northern Queensland. I agree, with Canadians and Australians both being members of the Commonwealth, we have a common heritage and a similar sense of humour.

Absolutely love Main Beach. Could walk that for miles