Self disembarkation on Holland?

cole'snana

Traveling on the Nieuw Amsterdam in December. We have an early flight 11:00 out of FLL.

Royal C lets you self disembark, does Holland have the same policy? Anyone used this and know the times they're off the ship? That way we can make our flight. Thank you.

HAL does self disembarkation. You will be the first off. Depends on when the ship get's in and clears customs. Normal early cruises get in around 6-7am and start disembarkation around 8ish. Cabs will be available to get you over to the airport which is about 2 miles away.

One recommendation at FLL is to use Luggage Direct. This way once you put it out the night before it will end up at your destination. Nothing to carry off just your personal stuff.

Dan

• Like 2

Unless there is an unexpected delay, self-disembarkation starts around 7:30 (I have heard it called as early as 7:15).

You must be able to carry all your bags with no assistance. One advantage of doing that, though, is that there has been no opportunity for a back-up to build at Immigration & Customs.

Yes, you can do self assist and be the first group to disembark. The airport is very close to the port so you shouldn’t have any timing issues, barring any unexpected delays getting into port or clearing immigration.

Its up to you but we ask for an 8 a.m. disembarkation (not self-disembark) and still get to the airport in plenty of time for an 11 a.m. flight (usually around 9). Of course anything can happen to delay you but more than likely it will be because there aren't enough immigration agents.

You cannot know how long it will take for the ship to be cleared and for you to clear CBP, as well as how long airport security will take

I am a low risk taker but I think your chances are very good if nothing totally out of the ordinary happens.

We have done self disembarkation twice in FLL.

First time, 2 years ago was from the Zuiderdam-easy peasy and out of the port by 0745 hr.

Last fall from the Koningsdam there was a very long line up of self disembarking passengers which formed early in the am before the ship was cleared by customs. Although we were near the end of the line, we disembarked and cleared customs by 8:30 so you should have plenty of time to catch your flight.

Just be sure to head to the disembarkation area long before they announce self disembarkation begins. Passengers start lining up early in the morning.

If you are fit and strong enough to carry your luggage - self disembark. We do it every time. Self disembark is usually 7:30 to 8:00 a.m. You will breeze through Customs when most cruisers are looking for their luggage on the pier.

Be careful about lining up or congregating around the disembarkation door. Port officials can and will halt the process if too many people are in the area. And DO NOT congregate on the stairs, that is a sure-fire way to get the process stopped and back it up for everyone still waiting to get off.

Better to find a public area NEAR the disembarkation door and wait there until your group (whatever it may be) is announced.

We almost always do self-disembarkation. Just a note that elevators can sometimes be quite busy that morning, so keep that in mind. Happy Sailing!

We did self disembarkation after our Alaska cruise. The elevators were an issue so we took an “up” elevator and made the round trip! 🙂

Somebody mentioned using "Luggage Direct" which does come with a price. Beware that Luggage Direct does have rules regarding the time of your flight. If you have an early flight it is more then likely that you will not be able to use this service. Since they can change their accepted times at their leisure we will not specify the earliest flight for which they will accept luggage.

Hank

You should consider signing up for Global Entry, which includes TSA Precheck. Your Global Entry card gets you front of line privileges and Precheck zips you thru at the airport.

I'd use Luggage Direct too!

We did self disembarkation after our Alaska cruise. The elevators were an issue so we took an “up” elevator and made the round trip! [emoji846]

That’s the way to do it! We do the same thing! 🤣🤣

• 4 years later...

I've read that self-disembarkation time is usually early, but can you also self-disembark and leave the ship at a later time? Like say 9am? 

I'm asking because I will be disembarking in my home country with someone picking me up at the pier and I would like to take it easy and leave when the biggest crowd has left! 

1 minute ago, sofienummer said:

I've read that self-disembarkation time is usually early, but can you also self-disembark and leave the ship at a later time? Like say 9am? 

I'm asking because I will be disembarking in my home country with someone picking me up at the pier and I would like to take it easy and leave when the biggest crowd has left! 

Yes. Self disembarking pax can go anytime after their group is called and up to final call. This is true of any disembarking group.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, sofienummer said:

Here are the disembarkation instructions for a cruise ending in Rotterdam.  It was similar for a cruise ending in Italy.

20220907_191524.thumb.jpg.5ea1ceee19c8b9c6ac9507d477bdf1f3.jpg

• Thanks 1