Status of Ocean Medallion?

denamo

There is a great amount of wasted time and money for false man overboards. Now they will know if and who is missing. I have had to be counted in our rooms while we wait for an all clear.

I would rather have that hour back than worry about someone greeting me with my name.

No. They will know which medallions can be located and which cannot. A person who went overboard may not have had the medallion with him/her. And a person on the ship may have the medallion in a signal blocking packet.

Princess won't have humans sitting at screens watching passenger's every move around the ship, but it is my understanding that if you opt for it, and many will intentionally or otherwise, the "system" can most assuredly know where you are with some accuracy as you move around the ship, and this information CAN impact you directly. As a very private person, the scenario that makes me very wary of this is, for example, being greeted by name as you walk into, say, Crooners, and having your picture show up on a waiter's tablet as you walk by, which I understand is one of the system's capabilities. While some folks seem to be salivating over having this feature, we plan to be among the few that will absolutely refuse this type of real-time monitoring.

Your Medallion profile has a "safety only" option to go low profile.

You cannot opt out of the system keeping track of where you are on the ship, so your medallion will be tracked 100% of the time. What you opt out of are many of the features that are associated with that monitoring. Princess will still know where you (or at least where your medallion) is as that is part of the "safety only" option.

Edited by caribill

If you disable your ***** by putting it in a RFID shielded container, the ship's computer will think you have gone overboard and activate a MOB alarm.

No even slightly realistic.

If this were implemented, there would be an alarm every 5 minutes.

I would really like the door function to work and wouldn't like to have to do a double tap of the screen to open the door as that would defeat the ability to open the door with both hands full of coffee or whatever.

Thrak, if I remember correctly, you can't just push the door open once the medallion "unlocks" the door. You hear a click and you then have to rotate the handle to retract the latch as with any other door. It would still be possible to open the door with both hands full since you'd only have to push down on the handle with your hand with a coffee cup (or box or whatever) in it and then push the door open with your shoulder though so while you couldn't open it up "hands free" so to speak, you could still access your room with your hands full.

Tom

Hi

Interesting posts regarding *****. What is the current status? Does anyone know the schedule for each ship?

Thanks,

Only 1 ship, the Regal, has any medallion staterooms and it is still at 110 staterooms. No other ships are known to be scvheduled as far as it's known.

Tom

Hi

Interesting posts regarding *****. What is the current status? Does anyone know the schedule for each ship?

Thanks,

When the presentation was given to the manager I got my info from, there was no schedule. That said, the ship we were on (the Ruby Princess) is not wired for the system nor are many of the other ships. Ruby will be fitted this fall when in dry dock.

Hi

Thanks,

Figure that there is not going to be a schedule until you hear ***** is working properly on Regal

and they know if they need to buy different hardware than they did on the first try. They are

not even going to be working on Regal until she gets back to Caribbean waters in Sept.

The initial plan was to fully convert one ship every two months. (Figure every 4 months for the

first 2 or 3, and then for things to speed up as they accumulate experience in converting)

Figure that there is not going to be a schedule until you hear ***** is working properly on Regal

and they know if they need to buy different hardware than they did on the first try. They are

not even going to be working on Regal until she gets back to Caribbean waters in Sept.

The initial plan was to fully convert one ship every two months. (Figure every 4 months for the

first 2 or 3, and then for things to speed up as they accumulate experience in converting)

I heard they were going to start this summer. Date unknown.

Ruby will be fitted this fall when in dry dock.

That's called "sticking your neck out". Princess and the ***** team gotta be under intense

pressure from CCL, so quite plausible.

Also have a claim from inside Santa Clarita that Emerald got new antennae-pointing hardware

in June so she can support MedallionNet "real soon now". Dunno if that's plausible or vaporware.

That's called "sticking your neck out". Princess and the ***** team gotta be under intense

pressure from CCL, so quite plausible.

Also have a claim from inside Santa Clarita that Emerald got new antennae-pointing hardware

in June so she can support MedallionNet "real soon now". Dunno if that's plausible or vaporware.

Didn't say ***** on Ruby:eek:, only the wiring per the manger I spoke to. I have no neck in the game! By fitted, I meant wired. LOL

Didn't say ***** on Ruby:eek:, only the wiring per the manger I spoke to. I have no neck in the game! By fitted, I meant wired. LOL

Understood.

"Cost, speed, quality. Pick any two". What I was saying that until Regal's ***** is up and running,

they don't really know that the wiring going into Ruby is the wiring they'll turn out to need, no?

Been there; been told to roll the dice; bought Maalox in bulk. :o

I worked for a large international computer company in the field. Even though we beta tested our products, sent them to quality control, etc. customers were still able to defeat it. We would point out to the user that that was an undocumented feature!

If a ***** goes missing, I would think they would immediately find out where it was last reported on the system and if it were near a railing, then and only then would a MOB alarm be sounded to specific crew to investigate. Since they would know the last known position, they would go to that point looking for the pax. Because of this known data, there would be no need to sound a general alarm to all the ship much like they do in medical emergencies.

Thanks for all the updates. The ***** can stay in our cabin. Just give us a key card, we are good to go. It is vacation time away from all the technology.

My DW will agree with you.

I think I may like the ***** though, I can put it in my pocket, and I never have to remember which one it is in like I do with the card (as I get older, I find I am loosing two things, my memory and I forget the other). Nor do I have to pull it out a dozen times a day when inevitably it is in the pocket on the side where my hand is not free.

My DW will agree with you.

I think I may like the ***** though, I can put it in my pocket, and I never have to remember which one it is in like I do with the card (as I get older, I find I am loosing two things, my memory and I forget the other). Nor do I have to pull it out a dozen times a day when inevitably it is in the pocket on the side where my hand is not free.

If the ***** does just that one thing for me I'll be happy although I might also appreciate being able to find my wife as she tends to wander for hours without telling me where.

I couldn't care less about charging items on the ship.

The next ship to get the Medallion will probably be Caribbean Princess as it was originally scheduled to have it's first Medallion voyage on March 18 of this year. Obviously that didn't happen but they have already installed the cables and there are already spots by the doors for the panels. They have also already put in a bunch of electronic signs that currently only advertise venues such as Planks and Steamers or serve in place of the metal "you are here" signs on each deck. I would guess these will act as the "portal" signs that have been advertised once the system goes live.

I remember reading somewhere that the ***** Project Manager was hired from Disney Cruise Line to install the new system.

If correct, did he bring over his team from Disney?

John

The next ship to get the Medallion will probably be Caribbean Princess as it was originally scheduled to have it's first Medallion voyage on March 18 of this year. Obviously that didn't happen but they have already installed the cables and there are already spots by the doors for the panels. They have also already put in a bunch of electronic signs that currently only advertise venues such as Planks and Steamers or serve in place of the metal "you are here" signs on each deck. I would guess these will act as the "portal" signs that have been advertised once the system goes live.

I have to laugh about your "next ship" comment. You are aware that the first ship (Regal) was supposed to have the entire system up and running by mid-December 2017....and now it still only partially works for a handful of cabins. I am now beginning to wonder if and when Princess will entirely abandon the project since it is obviously not cost effective.

Hank

I have to laugh about your "next ship" comment. You are aware that the first ship (Regal) was supposed to have the entire system up and running by mid-December 2017....and now it still only partially works for a handful of cabins. I am now beginning to wonder if and when Princess will entirely abandon the project since it is obviously not cost effective.

Hank

Check out the logo's across the bottom of ocean.com: Go/NoGo is CCL's decision not Princess'.

Same story on ISLAND this past winter. I have not been around CC for over two months now and it is sad to read that there has been zero headway with *****. Don't understand it - must be a terribly managed project.

Same story on ISLAND this past winter. I have not been around CC for over two months now and it is sad to read that there has been zero headway with *****. Don't understand it - must be a terribly managed project.

Did you read my post from a bit under a week ago about status?

Yes. Goofy is in charge.

Goofy and company would have a better chance of getting this going. By the time they get their act together the technology will have changed and again Princess pax will be stuck in the past.

I am so over waiting for nothing.