Really, really dumb question about Haven bartender tipping!

erdoran

I know this is a dumb question, please bear with me!! I never go to bars!

So for our upcoming cruise, I'm sure the various bars will be fairly crowded. I've read where a tip to the bartender early on ensures outstanding service. That's cool, I'm glad to do that. The question is - how do you do this if there are multiple bartenders, it gets expensive! We're going to be in the Haven, are there only a couple of bartenders? Do we tip each one at the beginning, and is there then an expectation for a daily and end of cruise tip? What's a reasonable tip range? thanks.

My husband carried a bunch of $1. Every time he handed them his card, he included a $1. Not much, but if that bartender waited on him frequently, he would get several $1. Small gesture, but they always appreciated it & no one was left out.

• Like 1

I know this is a dumb question, please bear with me!! I never go to bars!

So for our upcoming cruise, I'm sure the various bars will be fairly crowded. I've read where a tip to the bartender early on ensures outstanding service. That's cool, I'm glad to do that. The question is - how do you do this if there are multiple bartenders, it gets expensive! We're going to be in the Haven, are there only a couple of bartenders? Do we tip each one at the beginning, and is there then an expectation for a daily and end of cruise tip? What's a reasonable tip range? thanks.

You don't have to tip them anything. If you got the UBP as a perk then you pay the gratuities for that in advance. If you don't have the UBP a gratuity is automatically added on to the price of the drink. You will get good service regardless. There is no reason to "bribe" someone at the beginning.

If you want to tip extra, no problem with that either. Maybe a buck each time you order. That's up to you. You'll get many different answers on that. (many of them exaggerated). lol

• Like 1

There will be a couple of bartenders in the Haven. We typically tip $5-$10 to each one on the first day, introduce ourselves, and then receive fantastic service all week. We usually stop there before dinner each night and give extra tips at that time. I do not tip every time I get a drink there; for example, if I get a few drinks during the day while sitting around the pool, I do not tip. I take care of them at night, and also give another "end of the cruise" tip. This has always worked well for us, and ensured great service! The bartenders also are very happy to create non-alcoholic fun drinks for my son.

We stayed in the Haven on the Breakaway on our last cruise and noticed there were only a couple of bartenders at any one time, sometimes only one. Never had to, nor felt the need to, tip them with every drink order. They were always incredibly friendly, got to know our names and our drink preferences almost immediately. It was rare to have to wait to place a drink order. Totally different experience in those bars outside the Haven, but I put that to the large numbers of passengers that would seemingly converge at the same time we did. Be that as it may, we ever felt ignored or not able to get service even then. It just took a little longer.

We did give those Haven bartenders that served us the most frequently a pretty nice tip at the end of the week, FYI.

The only way to get any decent service on board is to bring lots of money and pass it out to any and all crew you encounter throughout the week. God forbid you actually get good or even outstanding service without bribing everyone.....

Paying for good service twice or even thrice is 'for your convenience'.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't tip bartenders in advance. Especially in the Haven, you will get amazing service. I always tip on the last day $50 and I give it to who I think is the main guy and ask....."Do you share tips?" They always say yes.

The only way to get any decent service on board is to bring lots of money and pass it out to any and all crew you encounter throughout the week. God forbid you actually get good or even outstanding service without bribing everyone.....

Paying for good service twice or even thrice is 'for your convenience'.......

My experience is different than yours. I get good to excellent service and do not throw money around as you have stated. Perhaps there is an attitude problem here as evidenced by your signature. Perhaps you would be happier on a different cruise line.

My experience is different than yours. I get good to excellent service and do not throw money around as you have stated. Perhaps there is an attitude problem here as evidenced by your signature. Perhaps you would be happier on a different cruise line.

Or perhaps you have an issue with sarcasm, because I think it was apparent to everyone else.

We're going to be in the Haven, are there only a couple of bartenders? Do we tip each one at the beginning, and is there then an expectation for a daily and end of cruise tip? What's a reasonable tip range? thanks.

Completely and totally up to you. If my husband or I ordered something really labor intensive (like a Smoked Old Fashioned), one of us would give a dollar or two. At the end of the week, we handed over a little extra to both of the Haven bartenders because their service was superb. We also had a favorite bar waiter and took care of him, too. I do not think there is an expectation, but there definitely is an appreciation. But again, if, when, and how much is completely up to you.

Just don't ever pre-tip. It's insulting. It makes you look like a tool. What you are doing is letting that person know that you think they are going to give you crappy service, so you're going to throw money around to see if you can make them jump. They will give you good service in spite of the tip, but they will think of you as a jerk the entire time.

• Like 2

Just don't ever pre-tip. It's insulting. It makes you look like a tool. What you are doing is letting that person know that you think they are going to give you crappy service, so you're going to throw money around to see if you can make them jump. They will give you good service in spite of the tip, but they will think of you as a jerk the entire time.

I disagree with this. I don’t think they see it as an insult at all. And it is not intended as one either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

18% is added to the cost of every package or drink....I think that's more than ample for opening a beer or pouring a glass of wine....If we frequent one particular bartender, we will tip a bit additional at the end of our "stay" at the bar. It's certainly not required to get great service!

Ask 100 people a question and you’ll get 100 answers! I’ll be 101, ok 20!

If you have a drink package, the gratuity is added so it’s not a matter of not tipping. So, that being said, our approach is below.

We both drink cocktails that, while not overly labor intensive, they’re not a beer or straight forward mixed drink; I’m partial to martinis and DH is more of an Old Fashioned or Manhattan drinker.

In smaller / less crowded bars, we tip $10/$20 on the first visit and then depending on if we go back or how personable the bartender or server(s) are we adapt or stay the same. Depends on how many drinks we have...

In larger, more crowded bars, especially if you are going to have multiple drinks,a $20 with the first round will most certainly make you memorable! We have had drinks delivered before we ordered them, even in the days following.

Remember, these men and women work extremely hard, long days to make our trip special. I feel fortunate to have the means to travel and like to express my appreciation, not just monetarily, but with kind words, interest and patience (a commodity I sometimes run short of on land).

At the end of the day, tipping is always a personal choice. Happy Cruising!

My husband carried a bunch of $1. Every time he handed them his card, he included a $1. Not much, but if that bartender waited on him frequently, he would get several $1. Small gesture, but they always appreciated it & no one was left out.

We do the same on our cruises....it works and they do appreciate it.

We also like to talk to our bartenders and get to know them on a personal level when they are not too busy.

In the Haven, halfway through the cruise, we gave our main bartender there a $10 tip and at the end a thank you note with $20.

She was so nice a really helped make our 14 day cruise so enjoyable!

Don:cool:

I have been on cruises where I tipped a dollar each drink, sometimes I just do $5 and $10 randomly over the days and some cruises where I tipped zero at bars for the whole trip. No difference in service whatsoever.

About the several bartenders at a bar, bartenders stepping in during break times. If you have a good relationship with some, the others will notice that and treat you the same. Many of them are doing their job for years and can spot pleasant customers instantly. And I had great times chatting with bar staff about other customers and stuff that happened around the bar so I am sure they do talk about us behind our backs as well. If you act like a jerk the word will spread quickly and if you are a fun person same.

• Like 1

Tips on drinks are already included. Sometimes I leave extra too. But like others stated, you are not stiffing the bartender by not leaving an additional tip. Isn't the tip 18 or 20% on drinks? Even in the most expensive places on land that tip would be fine.

I tend to tip waiters or waitresses extra more than a bartender. If I see them working hard and providing personal service continually through the meal then that is more deserving of an extra tip than someone opening a beer bottle and handing it to you.

In the end....gratuities are a personal thing.

I enjoy the special attention I get from the waiters, bartenders, etc. and I believe these people work hard and long hours and deserve it. Many sacrifice a lot and are away from their family for months.....

You can tell when they talk about their "countdown" of when they are going home. They are counting the months, weeks and days!;)

I like to include a tip with a "thank you" card at the end of my cruise vacation and fill out the "NCL hero card" and I think that means a lot to them.

Don:cool: