Anyone with an 11 year old ever get permission for them to go to the 12-14 year club?

Hi,

I have 2 daughters, one will be 11.5 and the other just turned 14 when we said the end of August.

My 14 year old is very, very shy and I'm not sure she will go to the teen club without her sister.

I'm assuming the answer is no, or that we won't know for sure till on board, but did anyone ever get permission for their 11 year old to attend the 12-14 year old club with a sibling? My daughter will be 4 months shy of 12.

Thanks.

I have no problem with the 11 year old being there. As she would be with her sister. In fact, while I'd give her sign in/out privileges if she goes to adventure ocean, I'd actually be even more comfortable with her coming and going to the teen club with her 14 year old sister.

can't hurt to task. years ago, we were traveling with friends. their 2 kids were a year older and a year younger than my daughter. Their son would have been too young to be with the 2 older kids, but since he was a sibling- they let him go.

I successfully argued for my son to be moved up to the 12-14 group when he was 11 1/2. (Although that was nearly 5 years ago). He's very tall and mature for his age. I think it depends on the number of kids on a particular sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree, they are always more likely they will allow a step down then step up. I've seen families turned down for a month from Birthday. Older groups do things like go on unsupervised scavenger hunts walking all around the ship... Also make sure go first nite, Certain busier times of year, school breaks, they have filled up and have turned some kids away...

I'm pretty sure they won't put a 14 year old with the 9 year olds....they may just have to find their own fun outside of the clubs. However, take the girls to the very 1st night, when EVERYONE is "new"...even shy kids seem to find "their place". And, the girls will see each other occasionally while in the clubs....so, give it a go!

I know you said you wouldn't have a problem with your daughter being with the 14 year olds, but last summer on Allure, the 12-14 year olds were mixed in with the 15-17 year olds all week.

There were a few activities for the age groups separately, but most of the time it was just hanging out. I don't know how the older kids would feel about having someone under age in the club as there is a huge difference even between a 12 year old and a 17 year old.

I wouldn't count on having the ship allow her to age up, but it's up to you to decide to try or not.

It can't hurt to ask, but we found they we more open to moving down a group than moving up. I think it depends a lot on the number of kids sailing.

but in this case the 14 will not be allowed to move down as she is too far past the 9-11 year olds

My daughter was able to join the 12 year old group when she was just shy of 12 by a couple months. I mentioned that she was in middle school already and around kids that age. It was not a crowded sailing so they were fine with it. I'm betting that since she will be with older sister that it might be ok.

I have no experience but I've done a lot of searches on this topic in past threads. It seems like most of the time they let a child close to 12 move up to the teen club, especially if they have an older sibling.

We are sailing on Anthem for the upcoming New Years holiday cruise and our son turns 12 three weeks afterwards. We very much want him to be with his sister (who turns 14 during the cruise) as they are best friends and having them together is better for both. My son is very tall and mature and I'm sure they wouldn't want him with the 9 year olds anyway. I understand that we have to sign something as there is less supervision in the teen club.

With all these respectful and mature kids on the ships that every parent claims to have,,, who keeps pushing all the elevator buttons?

I’m gong to say Disrespectful and immature adults who had a few too many cocktails. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My daughter was able to join the 12 year old group when she was just shy of 12 by a couple months. I mentioned that she was in middle school already and around kids that age. It was not a crowded sailing so they were fine with it. I'm betting that since she will be with older sister that it might be ok.

Can make a difference when there is few kids on board. But when too many kids can be turned away when program is full...

Don’t let my 20 year old see this. She’ll want to ask RCCL if she can move up to the 21 years and up bar. ;)

I never had luck getting my kids moved when they were younger. Rules were rules I was told (and agree with). Of course with RCCL...ya never know :)

My kids are all split just enough that they are never able to be in the same club so we have never used the clubs since none of them will go in alone - they simply don’t want to hang with strangers on vacation. They are weird like that. We’ve just had to find other ways to keep them occupied. Luckily it hasn’t caused an issue on any of our trips.

My 12 year old was in this group last year on the Oasis. She went to the first night meet and greet and found it completely overwhelming and swore she was never going back. There were just too many kids and she was too shy to approach them,

The next morning we suggested she try something a little more organised and told her that we would sit out the front and wait for her. She went to the scrapbooking class where they all sat in a circle and were encouraged to chat while they did their crafts. She didn’t look back after that. It was a great way to meet other kids that were shy like her. She still keeps in contact with some of them.

• 3 weeks later...
With all these respectful and mature kids on the ships that every parent claims to have,,, who keeps pushing all the elevator buttons?

Probably my daughter. For some reason, she thinks its the funniest thing ever, and she is almost 30 years old! It can be very embarrassing..