Viking Competing On Food

ABoatNerd

it it like Barristas or more dessert oriented ?

It is much more. Actually, Viking has its own Barrista in two places, not at Mamsen's . Mamsen's is a different experience altogether, Oceania has NOTHING of the kind to compare. This is something which Viking is ahead compared to Oceania. You have to cruise on Viking to experience it yourself.

So, as we were less impressed with Viking's afternoon tea than Oceania's, in the afternoon for tea and lovely pastries, we would just go to Mamsen's.

As for Barristas, Viking has one which offered a better selection of cakes and sandwiches than the barrista on Oceania. The other is a drinks and coffee bar (next to Mamsen's) and you could sit in the lounge or the nearby library located at the front of the ship and where you could enjoy a panoramic view of the sea.

Edited by Gnoelj

It is much more. Actually, Viking has its own Barrista in two places, not at Mamsen's . Mamsen's is a different experience altogether, Oceania has NOTHING of the kind to compare. This is something which Viking is ahead compared to Oceania.

So, as we were less impressed with Viking's afternoon tea than Oceania's, in the afternoon for tea and lovely pastries, we would just go to Mamsen's.

As for Barristas, Viking has one which offered a better selection of cakes and sandwiches than the barrista on Oceania. The other is just a drinks and coffee bar which is the lounge and library at the front of the ship , where you could get a panoramic view of the sea.

Thanks was just curious

Just off the Viking Sky. They have a coffee shop but it is not Mamsen's. Barrista's has many more dessert options than Vikings first floor coffee shop. Mamsens is located in a large glassed in area - beautiful bar. It serves different foods at various times of the day - breakfast, lunch, late afternoon and late evening - all excellent.

We found Viking's MDR quite good and comparable to Oceania's. We found Manfredi's pasta to be excellent but meats underwhelming. We enjoyed 2 of the chef table dinners. We found the specialty restaurants service on Viking to be chaotic and not relaxing at all.

Ronbe's blog link posted earlier shows it and it's menu, looks interesting.

I would agree with bitob, on most ships you will find something that pleases you, but it may be only a few things. I suppose we are all looking for the ship that supplies constant enjoyable eating experiences.

As has been said, each to their own, for example I cannot understand why there is a fixation across all the forums I've been part of on CC, with lobster and why anyone would refuse to cruise if it wasn't constantly available. But then, there is a thread currently on the X boards where a cruise choice is dependant on the quality of the burgers !

Aren't we a wonderfully diverse species ;)

How I agree with you Michael. Lobster is not a "must have" for me. Lobster is just OK . Sometimes it is so chewy it's not even OK but my DH will always choose it. I did have an excellent Lobster Thermidor in Jacques though. J

How I agree with you Michael. Lobster is not a "must have" for me. Lobster is just OK . Sometimes it is so chewy it's not even OK but my DH will always choose it. I did have an excellent Lobster Thermidor in Jacques though. J

I used to be "influenced" by the "Lobster fans" and thought if others think that it's good , it must be good. After having umpteen lobsters on Oceania and elswhere, I am beginning to realise that lobsters are somewhat over-rated, and yes, sometimes, it could even be chewy (depending on the quality of the cook or the lobster, usually).

I found I prefer those huge river prawns you find in Thailand to lobsters now. They (the Thai prawns) are more succulent and the flesh tastes better than lobsters, in my opinion. I only discovered these huge prawns in a Bangkok restaurant. When I ordered the prawn dish, these gigantic prawns came, and I told the waiter that I ordered prawns,not lobsters. And he told me they were prawns, and not lobsters!!!

Back to the Viking vs Oceania, even for food, there are some things which Viking does better than Oceania, and vice versa. There are differences. However, for us, I feel that Oceania cruisers who have high standards would find the same high standards and would be satisfied with Viking Ocean as well. And not forgetting that on Viking Ocean, on all cruises, all meals include complimentary unlimited wine and soft drinks (the free wine choices could be a bit repetitive, but they are usually quite pleasant.). You have to pay for your wines with Oceania (at their sky high prices) unless you get a free drinks package thrown in, which is not always the case.

Food aside, most definitely, Viking Ocean is a BIG THREAT to Oceania, and at the rate it is expanding with more and more new ships added to the fleet, before long, they (Viking Ocean ) would have exceeded the total capacity of passengers offered by Oceania, if they haven't done so already.

Edited by Cahpek

I would agree that Viking is a significant threat to Oceania and Azamara - Viking has built in river boat customers, new ships with modern amenities (vs R ships) and advertises alot.

Example - went to a info session on Scenic River cruises - very high end river cruise company from Australia and debuting a custom exploration yacht this season and another next year. About 200 guests mostly 50 yrs plus. The TA did a poll of ocean cruise customers, the most hands went up for Viking Ocean by far, by far. No hands for Oceania and a few for the mass lines.

The newspaper article in USA Today gave Viking a huge amount of free marketing.

While we are recent converts to Oceania (from Celebrity), we are seriously looking at Viking.

Thankfully there is enough competition to give us choice.

I would agree that Viking is a significant threat to Oceania and Azamara - Viking has built in river boat customers, new ships with modern amenities (vs R ships) and advertises alot.

One thing that has not been mentioned here that I consider an important factor - the loyalty program and various other "intangibles".

While I am not familiar with Viking's loyalty program I think O's is pretty good (despite the recent devaluation). Those that are close to their free cruise after 20 or 40 cruises will want to stay with O to get them. Also, it is nice to get PPG, OBC and spa credit (while it lasts).

The PH on O class ships are very nice as far as space, design,features and butlers go. It is also nice to be able to dine en suite from any of the 4 specialties. Some days after a long day in port it is nice to relax in the suite and have dinner in your robe and slippers; or if I cannot get that extra reservation in Jacques I can always dine en suite - the food is just as good as when you dine in Jacques.

Some more intangibles (for us) - we like trivia and afternoon tea and enjoy them both on O. Not sure how they are on Viking.

We also find the vast majority of fellow passengers friendly, well traveled and well behaved and compatible with us.

We have a Viking ocean booked for next year. There is nothing like first hand experience to see how it compares for us with Oceania.

Viking does the best at advertising...almost Pavlovian to get viewers to become brain washed into the familiarity of Viking-Viking-Viking-Viking. ( message " dont miss the finest," " Everyone thinks its the finest"....Best, Finest, Worlds best, Popular, Finest Finest........ They take a page out of Joseph Gobbles how to influence the masses

Great copy Great ad agency

Food aside I like the euro - feel of O and am NOT a fan of the sterile- Scandinavian minimalism.. Just feels cold and empty. And I do not care for Sardine sandwiches as an alternative to a good burger or Lobster/filet sandwich ........YUK

Example - went to a info session on Scenic River cruises - very high end river cruise company from Australia and debuting a custom exploration yacht this season and another next year. About 200 guests mostly 50 yrs plus. The TA did a poll of ocean cruise customers, the most hands went up for Viking Ocean by far, by far. No hands for Oceania and a few for the mass lines

Not sure about Scenic being very high end. We did a Danube cruise on Scenic and were underwhelmed by the food and service.

Viking does the best at advertising...almost Pavlovian to get viewers to become brain washed into the familiarity of Viking-Viking-Viking-Viking. ( message " dont miss the finest," " Everyone thinks its the finest"....Best, Finest, Worlds best, Popular, Finest Finest........ They take a page out of Joseph Gobbles how to influence the masses

Great copy Great ad agency

Food aside I like the euro - feel of O and am NOT a fan of the sterile- Scandinavian minimalism.. Just feels cold and empty. And I do not care for Sardine sandwiches as an alternative to a good burger or Lobster/filet sandwich ........YUK

Have you ever sailed with Viking? From your earlier post, I suspect you have not. If that is the case, I do not understand why you feel the need to be so negative about a cruise line you have not experienced.

I am a Viking customer, who came to this board to learn about Oceania as I have seen an itinerary that might be of interest. Even if I decide that it would not be a good fit for us, I would not be critical of Oceania. Personally, I enjoy the Viking commercials. They are why we decided to give cruising a try, and Viking exceeded our expectations based on those ads.

I guess I have over reacted, sorry. The root core of my reaction is that every time I turn on my computer on... up pops Viking, Almost every Tv channel from early morning news to late at night I hear viking this and that,,, hourly. Then there are the weekly mailings that never stop. All showing the same sailing through Budapest as though it is what the entire trip are like...

Too I have seen them in Europe and was totally underwhelmed as some one mentioned... I guess I just reached a saturation point like one does with political commercials..., Elections go away every few years... Viking dosent... in my face dawn to dusk. daily weekly monthly year after year....

Over and over and over. I can not seem to get away I have no doubt that they are an ok company but all the over the top award claims and the elitist sounding announcers just has worn me thin

If it was that friggen fantastic people would be beating down their doors and word of mouth would be filling every cabin, every cruise, every day, they would not have to advertise

Hawaiidan,

As a fellow Southern Californian (based on your Cruise Critic public profile, I recommend a trip to your namesake state of Hawai’i. It’s mellow and calming, and in my experience one almost never watches any TV (the time zone makes virtually everything worth watching come on too early in the day) so you will not have to see any Viking commercials!

Hawaiidan,

As a fellow Southern Californian (based on your Cruise Critic public profile, I recommend a trip to your namesake state of Hawai’i. It’s mellow and calming, and in my experience one almost never watches any TV (the time zone makes virtually everything worth watching come on too early in the day) so you will not have to see any Viking commercials!

Thanks , I am pleased you found Hawaii so mellow and calming. I suppose for for a visitor it is.

However as a person who lived there for over a decade the reality , for a resident is, not all that delightful.... Most So calif folks who move there eagerly return to California in less than 18 to 24 months..

I will pass on the suggestion however. I have no desire to go back

Open-faced “sardine” sandwiches?? Not herring?

Yes quite right herring - Norwegian soused herring (pickled) which is served with raw onions - I can't stand the stuff myself - we have it here in Scotland too. But lots of folk enjoy it.

The open sandwiches also feature;

delicious smoked salmon

shrimp on a lettuce leaveswith tomato and served with a side dish of mayonnaise

steak tartare

(all served on different types of sliced bread)

All beautifully presented and the same sandwiches are available in the Living Room on deck 1. This coffee/drinks bar is open all day from early till late and is the perfect place to go for anything you may wish to drink or a snack. And then sit and people watch in the atrium!

Mamsen's is named after Torstein Hagen's mother and many of the dishes are made from her recipes. Including the pea soup which is served from 10pm till midnight which I thought "no pea soup for me at that time of night" - till I tried some on the very last night of our very first Viking cruise when one of the bartenders in the Explorers Lounge asked if I'd had the soup yet. No was the reply, but they went and got me some and then I was so disappointed that I'd not tried it before! If I'd had a vacuum flask I would have had some to take home with me! HA HA! Mamsens is open for breakfast till 11am (waffles, fruit, cheese and pastries and various Norwegian type breads and rolls), then it changes to the sandwiches and cakes - all sorts including the much acclaimed success cake but I preferred the Kringle cake which appears at breakfast time too! That is the one with the marzipan filling.

Mamsens is not open all day closing I think after lunch and then re-opening for an hour or maybe two around the afternoon tea time. And then again at 10pm serving the soup and cold plates with different types of cold meats (Iberico ham and salamis) and pickles. I did ask how many folk came for this food at this time and apparently around 20 or so every night. The crockery used there is an exact copy of the crockery Mamsen had in her home and a lot of us would recognise the pattern from the 60s! ;)

We have sailed on both Oceania and Viking and feel that they both offer the best food we have enjoyed at sea however Viking seems to us to have a slighter more modern and fresher edge on things - presentation for one. And by that I don't mean that Oceania's food is not fresh! But there is one thing that Oceania excels at and that is the afternoon tea! Viking's is good, but they present you with a cake stand of goodies (mini sandwiches and cakes) which is lovely but I do prefer to be able to go and choose which sandwiches and cakes I want to eat. But Viking have better tea pots and use loose tea which for us Brits that is an important thing!

They don't call Manfredi's and The Chef's Table "speciality restaurants" but alternative dining - this is because they say all of their dining is of equal standard, none is more special than the other. The Norwegian philosophy of course.

As for lobster - nope not my favourite either so I guess I don't "get" the lobster night fever!

One question as I am not in the US to check it out for myself - would it be Karine Hagen's voice used in the ads? Just wondering as she does all the Viking online video voiceovers.

We enjoy the Scandanavian interior design of the ships which is lovely and very comfortable - there are so many wonderful places to sit and just "enjoy" - on comfortable leather sofas and chairs draped with reindeer pelts and ample cushions! But there are also some pretty wonderful places to sit on the Oceania ships too - particularly the Marina and Riviera!

On Viking our favorite was Manfredi, the Italian restaurant.

The fact that Viking's Italian restaurant is named after Manfredi Lefebvre d'Ovidio of Silversea is interesting. We aren't sure we would want a restaurant named after us unless we knew and enjoyed the cuisine well before opening. Is there any business connection between the two men?

The fact that Viking's Italian restaurant is named after Manfredi Lefebvre d'Ovidio of Silversea is interesting. We aren't sure we would want a restaurant named after us unless we knew and enjoyed the cuisine well before opening. Is there any business connection between the two men?

They are friends.

Yes quite right herring - Norwegian soused herring (pickled) which is served with raw onions - I can't stand the stuff myself - we have it here in Scotland too. But lots of folk enjoy it.

The open sandwiches also feature;

delicious smoked salmon

shrimp on a lettuce leaveswith tomato and served with a side dish of mayonnaise

steak tartare

(all served on different types of sliced bread)

All beautifully presented and the same sandwiches are available in the Living Room on deck 1. This coffee/drinks bar is open all day from early till late and is the perfect place to go for anything you may wish to drink or a snack. And then sit and people watch in the atrium!

Mamsen's is named after Torstein Hagen's mother and many of the dishes are made from her recipes. Including the pea soup which is served from 10pm till midnight which I thought "no pea soup for me at that time of night" - till I tried some on the very last night of our very first Viking cruise when one of the bartenders in the Explorers Lounge asked if I'd had the soup yet. No was the reply, but they went and got me some and then I was so disappointed that I'd not tried it before! If I'd had a vacuum flask I would have had some to take home with me! HA HA! Mamsens is open for breakfast till 11am (waffles, fruit, cheese and pastries and various Norwegian type breads and rolls), then it changes to the sandwiches and cakes - all sorts including the much acclaimed success cake but I preferred the Kringle cake which appears at breakfast time too! That is the one with the marzipan filling.

Mamsens is not open all day closing I think after lunch and then re-opening for an hour or maybe two around the afternoon tea time. And then again at 10pm serving the soup and cold plates with different types of cold meats (Iberico ham and salamis) and pickles. I did ask how many folk came for this food at this time and apparently around 20 or so every night. The crockery used there is an exact copy of the crockery Mamsen had in her home and a lot of us would recognise the pattern from the 60s! ;)

We have sailed on both Oceania and Viking and feel that they both offer the best food we have enjoyed at sea however Viking seems to us to have a slighter more modern and fresher edge on things - presentation for one. And by that I don't mean that Oceania's food is not fresh! But there is one thing that Oceania excels at and that is the afternoon tea! Viking's is good, but they present you with a cake stand of goodies (mini sandwiches and cakes) which is lovely but I do prefer to be able to go and choose which sandwiches and cakes I want to eat. But Viking have better tea pots and use loose tea which for us Brits that is an important thing!

They don't call Manfredi's and The Chef's Table "speciality restaurants" but alternative dining - this is because they say all of their dining is of equal standard, none is more special than the other. The Norwegian philosophy of course.

As for lobster - nope not my favourite either so I guess I don't "get" the lobster night fever!

One question as I am not in the US to check it out for myself - would it be Karine Hagen's voice used in the ads? Just wondering as she does all the Viking online video voiceovers.

We enjoy the Scandanavian interior design of the ships which is lovely and very comfortable - there are so many wonderful places to sit and just "enjoy" - on comfortable leather sofas and chairs draped with reindeer pelts and ample cushions! But there are also some pretty wonderful places to sit on the Oceania ships too - particularly the Marina and Riviera!

I agree! And that IS Karine Hagen’s voice in the Viking TV ads. Assuming that Norwegian is her first language, I’m guessing that she learned English from someone with a British accent. Either way I think she has a lovely voice.

I AM one of those who are enamored with lobster. Head over heels, in fact. BUT I would never choose a cruise line simply because they had, or lacked lobster. In fact, I gave up the seafood buffet on our Viking cruise so we could try the Chefs Table (DH is a fussy eater and it was the only menu we could agree on). The diver scallops were divine!

I don’t generally like fussy decor. My tastes run to eclectic, but I really liked the decor on Viking. Yes, it was modern. Yes, it was Scandinavian. But it also managed to achieve being cozy, inviting and comfortable at the same time. I didn’t find it sterile at all.

Our Penthouse Veranda was very roomy with lots of storage and I loved the heated floors in the bathroom.

All that said, the reason I am reading the Oceania boards among others is because, although we are quite happy with Viking, it’s not a marriage [emoji12]. We have no contract, besides the one for each voyage. There is no til death do us part.

Quite frankly, I don’t understand this rabid loyalty to one line over another that causes people, who have never sailed with a line, to make horrid and disparaging remarks about that line. Yes, there are lines that don’t suit my style, and I probably won’t sail on those lines, but I do not feel compelled to go around knocking them every chance I get. I don’t get it. I hope never to encounter these people on any of my voyages.

With that said, I have Oceania on my list of possibilities. I’m also looking at Regent and Seabourne. One of the itineraries on my wish list is Barcelona to Venice or the opposite direction. There are a number of small ship, premium lines doing the route. I may have our TA work up a comparison.

I’m also a tad bit curious why Regent, Crystal and SilverSea are deemed “luxury,” while Viking, Oceania and Azamara don’t make the cut. Viking certainly met my definition.

We are doing an Azamara cruise in April, but I have a feeling it’s not going to become a favorite, but that remains an unknown until we complete the cruise. We chose it for the itinerary, the convenience of sailing from NYC with a return to NYC, and the timing is right.

So as a food loving person (DH thinks I’m obsessed [emoji13]), I’m interested in Oceania because I keep hearing about the food. Also I think it might be a good fit.

We don’t need a butler. I don’t really get the whole butler attraction. I do like a roomy cabin, but a suite, while lovely, I’m sure, isn’t really necessary. Most important, we are retired. We are done with the whole dressing up fancy. DH has sworn off jackets and ties. I’m not averse to a sparkly top, but I’m not making room in my suitcase for a long gown.

So will Oceania suit us, so I can try this spectacular cuisine? [emoji16]

Cyber Kat,

I usually see your posts over on the Viking threads, but once again I find that we must be twin daughters of different mothers. Your opinions are so often my own.

I am a huge Viking fan, and would normally select them. All things being equal, we cruise only once a year and are happy to continue with Viking. However, Oceania has an itinerary I crave that Viking doesn't yet offer, so I was browsing here.

Thanks for your interesting commentary, as usual.

We don’t need a butler. I don’t really get the whole butler attraction. I do like a roomy cabin, but a suite, while lovely, I’m sure, isn’t really necessary. Most important, we are retired. We are done with the whole dressing up fancy. DH has sworn off jackets and ties. I’m not averse to a sparkly top, but I’m not making room in my suitcase for a long gown.

So will Oceania suit us, so I can try this spectacular cuisine? [emoji16]

You do not need a jacket & tie for DH nor sparkly tops or evening gowns unless you want to wear them

Sounds like you may like Oceania but only you can be the judge

give them a try & decide for yourself