Gift Question For Butler

jrmpix

Read a few other post regarding this and just curious if the Butler, along with cash, would like a 'Texas-Themed' edible gift (Pecan, Beaver Nuggets, Jerky, Chocolate)? I figure a coffee mug would just take up space in their quarters... Am I on the right track?

And, what gifts have you brought, if any.

Read a few other post regarding this and just curious if the Butler, along with cash, would like a 'Texas-Themed' edible gift (Pecan, Beaver Nuggets, Jerky, Chocolate)? I figure a coffee mug would just take up space in their quarters... Am I on the right track?

And, what gifts have you brought, if any.

I think that sounds like a really thoughtful, nice gift!

cash is king & a good review goes a long way for all the staff

Ditto!

Someone from a different country may not like food that Texans (or other North Americans) like. I'd stick with Cash, a Hearty Thank You and a Great Review. ;)

I do not agree. I gave cash but during holidays I bring everything from candy to Tervis Cups. Everyone loves them.

Nothing say I care more than a little gift from home. They miss their families,

If we have a fabulous female room stewRdess we also pick up small gifts in a few of the ports. Easy to do for women. Has nothing to with what we tip

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! I agree about the women. Much harder to do for a butler .I met some who collect magnets and get hem in port. i also have done Tshirt. if you see crew in their free time they have Tshirts from ports.

Nothing say I care more than a little gift from home. They miss their families,

I'm sure that they do miss their families, but isn't it wildly self centered to assume that a "homey" gift from a passenger would help that out? Their home is not necessarily your home.

Homesickness will be relieved when the Employee has enough money to get home again.

When deciding on the monetary tip, let your conscience be your guide :halo:

I'm sure that they do miss their families, but isn't it wildly self centered to assume that a "homey" gift from a passenger would help that out? Their home is not necessarily your home.

Homesickness will be relieved when the Employee has enough money to get home again.

When deciding on the monetary tip, let your conscience be your guide :halo:

You really do not know me. I get gifts from crew also.

Time to get real folks. Oceania staff are trained to always smile and always be polite. Of course they are going to be effusive when you give them a gift. There is not a chance they would show disappointment, even if that is what they felt.

But be assured, the only reason they put up with homesickness etc is because working on a cruise ship is the best way they have of earning enough to afford be able to return home. Cash is king to staff and so instead of giving cash plus a gift, just give extra cash.

Don't forget vegetarians and people who don't eat beef for religious reasons. Candy? You don't know if someone is diabetic or really struggling to lose weight or not gain - which is especially hard on cruises.

Perhaps a nice thank you note in an envelope along with the cash. If your gift would have cost you $20 then add $20 to the tip instead so your net outlay is the same.

Personally, I always give Stewards and Butlers a cash tip, they don't really have a lot of space in their quarters for gifts. But over the years the main thing they have all asked for is a 10 score in your feedback. Why, because it hurts them in their pocket if you don't, because then the cruise companies then make deductions from their share of the Pre Paid Gratuities.

So by all means give them a tip, but please do not be overly picky in your feedback forms