Price drop

hlk08003

I booked a balcony on the Gem through a travel agent on Monday. On Tuesday it was offered $300 cheaper. I asked the agent to get me the refund. I was told that NCL would only give me OBC equal to 25% of the difference or $75. I have to think that,as a Platinum customer they would have made a fairer offer. Since I used an agent they refused to deal directly with me. Two points are apparent here...first using an agent is worthless. Second I will never trust the cruise line to deal fairly in their pricing. I have been overcharged and I don't like it!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You weren't overcharged, you paid the price that was acceptable for you.

You used a travel agent, they own your booking and all requests need to go through them.

Now, if your fare had increased would you be calling your travel agent and asking to pay the upcharge?

I think you are lucky that you got an offer of OBC.

Have you thought about cancelling your reservation and booking new with the new price?? Are you past the cutoff for final payment?

I booked a balcony on the Gem through a travel agent on Monday. On Tuesday it was offered $300 cheaper. I asked the agent to get me the refund. I was told that NCL would only give me OBC equal to 25% of the difference or $75. I have to think that,as a Platinum customer they would have made a fairer offer. Since I used an agent they refused to deal directly with me. Two points are apparent here...first using an agent is worthless. Second I will never trust the cruise line to deal fairly in their pricing. I have been overcharged and I don't like it!!!

Getting ANYTHING is more than what you are entitled to. Why are you using an agent at all if he will not help you. There really is no point to using an agent in most cases anyway then to use one who will not help you when it is needed... Hmmm.

You have not been overcharged at all. You were charged the price of the cruise when you booked it and entered into the contract. Had the price gone up would you have been willing to have NCL make you pay more? I didn't think so.

If you were past the final payment date, no sympathy here. Surely as a platinum-level cruiser on NCL you must know this rule. You didn't pay too much. You paid what you must have thought was acceptable when you booked.

The question is...how far out is your cruise?????? There is a difference. Let us know and we can give you better answers

Sounds like your TA is not willing to work with you. If your cruise is not paid in full I would cancel the cruise and move on to the lower price offering. My TA always matches the lowest price if it is before final payment and brought to her attention. Once verified she amends my booking with the lower price. Good luck!

Another crybaby lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok OP. What's the status? Are you past final payment? Are you going to cancel and book direct with NCL for the lower amount? Are you taking the OBC and staying with the travel agent? Nice way to stir the pot ... come back ... it's about to boil over.

Not on NCL, but when our cruise last year went down $500!! per person, our travel agent quickly got us the new price. I think we lost a very small amount of OBC, the rest stayed the same.

So, travel agents can be a great asset, if they are good at their job.

You were not overpriced. Prices can go up or down closer to sailing date. To obtain almost 1/3 of the price drop with OBC is extremely fair and you should be celebrating because they are not obligated to do a thing. We are all assuming you paid in full already so you cant cancel and rebook the lower price.

This happens every day on every ship on every cruise line. The price could have went up $300. Take the OBC and enjoy your cruise.

I had a cruise drop $600 the week after I paid in full. I also got about $200 OBC and was thrilled about it. The cabin I booked would not have been available if I wanted to book at the time of the price drop.

Critical info missing is when is your sailing?

Maybe using your TA is worthless but many of us have agents who are very good. Nothing new with NCL not working directly with you as you booked with a TA so issues related directly to your booking have to go through the TA.

Critical info missing is when is your sailing?

Maybe using your TA is worthless but many of us have agents who are very good. Nothing new with NCL not working directly with you as you booked with a TA so issues related directly to your booking have to go through the TA.

The information really isn't missing, it is just not spelled out, as explained below.

Don't blame this on NCL.

If you are prior to the date for final payment, even if you have paid in full NCL will give you 100% of the difference in the form of a price reduction. If you are past final payment they will not make any adjustment. That is their policy and has been there policy for years. Since you can get some adjustment, it is clear that you have not yet reached final payment date.

What OP has is a TA who doesn't want to adjust the price because that results in a decrease in their commission. OP needs to get a new TA, not complain about NCL's pricing.

Grouping all travel agents into one lump statement based on a poor experience you had with ONE travel agent is pretty closed minded. However, as others have stated you may have options regarding your booking.

My travel agent notifies me of price drops. I usually get a call, email, or text letting me know and letting me know that it's all set and I don't have to do anything. I know that this means less commission for him but he cares about his clients. Find yourself a good travel agent and you'll never go back to booking on your own.

Grouping all travel agents into one lump statement based on a poor experience you had with ONE travel agent is pretty closed minded. However, as others have stated you may have options regarding your booking.

My travel agent notifies me of price drops. I usually get a call, email, or text letting me know and letting me know that it's all set and I don't have to do anything. I know that this means less commission for him but he cares about his clients. Find yourself a good travel agent and you'll never go back to booking on your own.

TAs are worthless unless you like saving money and getting extra OBC!

I use one of the big online cruise TAs, and save considerable money every time. Looking at my 12 night SC on Gem this November, my online TA is giving me a price of 1319 for a BB balcony, but NCL wants 1569. If I called my agent at this company, she would get me a group rate, and I would save even more. At the time I booked with her, I paid 1164. They always give OBC too. $175 for my upcoming cruise.

So saving 770 over NCL's current pricing for this cruise, plus the OBC, I find it worthwhile. Why do people shop at BJ's and Sam's? Because they have buying power.

TAs are worthless unless you like saving money and getting extra OBC!

I use one of the big online cruise TAs, and save considerable money every time. Looking at my 12 night SC on Gem this November, my online TA is giving me a price of 1319 for a BB balcony, but NCL wants 1569. If I called my agent at this company, she would get me a group rate, and I would save even more. At the time I booked with her, I paid 1164. They always give OBC too. $175 for my upcoming cruise.

So saving 770 over NCL's current pricing for this cruise, plus the OBC, I find it worthwhile. Why do people shop at BJ's and Sam's? Because they have buying power.

So true! I booked my next 14 day cruise in an inside cabin back in September. This week I was rechecking prices as final payment is nearing and I realized that I could upgrade to an obstructed oceanview a few doors away for less than $300 total. This gave me a second perk now too. But beyond that, the TA is running a promotion offering an Extra perk and receive double the gift card value for all new bookings.

So effectively I could cancel and rebook only losing $125 in a TA cancel fee. Net would be that I come out ahead because the perks are worth more than that.

Well, rather than cancel and rebook the TA said she would check with NCL and see if they would just give me a third perk.

Wooo hooo, they did!!! An upgrade to Obstructed Oceanview and 2 additional perks (3 total) for only around $260 more. So now I get drinks, dining, and shorex! :D

But yeah, TAs are worthless. :rolleyes: