Embarkation Day -- Check-in and then walk around Vancouver near port??

Hi - we are sailing on the Noordam on July 29th out of Vancouver. Embark time is at noon, with a departure of 4:30 p.m. There is an activity at Canada Place right by the docks that we would like to see, but do not want to bring our luggage with us. Is it possible to check in, drop our carryons in our cabin, and then leave the ship and return by 3:30 or 4?

Yes. It will be easy.

Are you going to do ''Fly over Canada''

Yes, that was the thought. Although if we have a lot of time we would walk around that area as well. I wasn't sure if we could get back off once we boarded/checked -in.

Yes, we've checked in and boarded and then gotten back off to walk around the area. Don't forget to bring your boarding documents though. And check the last boarding time -- I would think that 4 or even 3:30 would be too late a return for a 4:30 departure. Usually you have to be on board much earlier at the departure port than at a regular port call.

Yes, we've checked in and boarded and then gotten back off to walk around the area. Don't forget to bring your boarding documents though. And check the last boarding time -- I would think that 4 or even 3:30 would be too late a return for a 4:30 departure. Usually you have to be on board much earlier at the departure port than at a regular port call.

We are new cruisers....is there anything anywhere that say what time you have to be back on board??

It may be easy and it may not be. I assume you are embarking on an Alaskan cruise, which means you will clear US Customs and Immigration at the pier. Once you clear and get on the ship, you are considered to be in US waters. Another thing to consider is if the cabins are available and accessible when you board. For example, on Royal Caribbean the cabins are not ready until 1 or 1:30 and you keep your carry-ons with you until then. We haven't cruised HAL in years and I do not remember how they do things. I'm sure someone here will advise.

If you do get off the ship, you will have to clear C&I again when you come back. It can be a very long line, especially if more than one ship is in port. I checked for you and you are one of two ships that day. My advice is to pack your carry-ons light, check your luggage with the porters but do not check in for your cruise until you are ready to stay on board. Just a suggestion. :)

Be aware of the time as you must be checked in at least 90 minutes prior to sail away.

We are new cruisers....is there anything anywhere that say what time you have to be back on board??

The time should be in your boarding documents. At the departure port usually you have to be on board no later than 90 minutes before departure, so likely 3:00 for a 4:30 departure.

Every cruise I have been on had newsletters for each port listing the latest return time (and the port agent, which is who you contact if for some reason you miss the ship). The return time likely will also be shown on a sign at the debarkation door. For regular port calls, it's usually back on board no later than 30 minutes before scheduled departure. We try to be back on board an hour before departure just to be safe.

I agree 100% with Karen & Mics posts. Even if it's allowed, and even it's easy in terms of not being a difficult thing to do, it WILL be time-consuming due to going through immigration and security three times instead of once!

Unless you value your own time at absolutely nothing, I'd store any carry-on bags you don't want to schlep around before boarding. You can do this at the pier with CDS Baggage, in the Pan Pacific hotel on top of the pier who have bell staff, or if you are doing the sensible thing and flying in at least the day before your cruise, just leave your bags in your hotel and go back for them when you're done.

You can depart the vessel immediately after boarding to tour around the vicinity of Canada Place. However, as others mentioned the departure board will probably have a back on board time of 15:00. You will also have to fight your way back through the security, with boarding passengers.

I would store my luggage at Canada Place, here is the website describing the pax services provided.

https://www.portvancouver.com/cruise/passenger-information/

You could drop your luggage early morning and spend a few hours checking out the sights from Gastown to Stanley Park, returning to the Canada Place in time to check in.

Hi

Unless you are not going arrive at the port before noon, I would just drop off my checked luggage and keep a small carryon with valuables. I have done this myself in Vancouver. I arrived early (10-11 a.m.?) and it gave me lots of time to sightsee. I was even able to pick up pop and wine in the neighborhood before boarding.

If you are going to be arriving around noon and do decide to try your plan, once on board, you may feel different about getting off the ship again. Please be careful with your timing.

Don't forget to look at the cruise critic "North American Homeports" threads. You will find much information about thing that you can in Vancouver.

have a great cruise