low sodium diet

jopal

I am on a low sodium diet and would like to know how the food in the buffet and dining rooms taste and are they presented and taste good .also would like to know when I have to to inform celebrity of my dietary restrictions before my cruise date of July 8th. or when I board on July 8th. Also is there a special menu for low sodium diets . does any one have any recommendations on menu items to order I also have booked one meal in the Tuscan resturant and would like to what to order for a low sodium diet thanks for any help you are able to provide me:'):'):')

Seeing it is too late to complete a "Special Needs" form for your sailing, you will need to handle this once aboard.

I recommend you head directly to the Maitre d' upon boarding to let them know AND once seated in the dining room, should be no issue. This goes for Tuscan as well, please let them know as soon as you can.

You can get menus the day before to select your meals, after the first night.

Should not be an issue, once aboard as I Am sure many other individuals require similar.

bon voyage

Last week I called special needs to ask about this very issue with me for an upcoming cruise in August. Dr recommended this since every time I cruise my feet and ankles swell. In February after cruise and one week holiday my BP was too high but normalized quickly once I returned to my normal diet.

Special needs advised me no need to contact special needs but to speak to head waiter and maitre d. I would get a plain piece of meat instead of typical loaded up with sauce. Sauces and soups are the worst enemy of one trying to maintain low sodium diet she said. This I know. I'm to ask for no salting before and after cooking on anything.

Dr said drink plenty of plain water to help flush out sodium. 60 oz per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are those who believe the tap water on the ship contains high levels of sodium. Not sure if this is true (I have never had an issue) but you might want to stick to bottled water to be sure.

Always do [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are those who believe the tap water on the ship contains high levels of sodium. Not sure if this is true (I have never had an issue) but you might want to stick to bottled water to be sure.

We only drink the tap water and have never had issues . I don't know why a person would even think that

We only drink the tap water and have never had issues . I don't know why a person would even think that

Well, for me -- it's from personal experience. I also am on a low sodium diet. But, even with letting the waitstaff know about my dietary needs, I was still having problems with swollen hands and ankles (a problem that I never experience anywhere but on cruise ships). When we started getting the drink package as a perk, I switched to drinking bottled water. The results were startling -- no more swelling, even on longer cruises. And, yes, I'm aware that the process they use SHOULD completely de-salinate the water. -- but, in my case, it just wasn't doing the trick.

Celebrity handles the low sodium diet extremely well. Make sure they are aware of your dietary restrictions. In the main dinner no room, they will bring you the menu for the next evening and if the dining room is open fo4 lunch, you can also order your lunch menu as well. You’ll just need to let your waiter know you’d like to see the lunch menu. Since you plan on having a meal in the specialty dining room, you could speak with the staff prior to the nigh5 of your reservation. The thing I like about Celebrity is they have fit flare menu items which helps as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I assume you also stopped eating soup, drinking coffee and tea, and the dispensered juice drinks. All made with the ship’s tap water.

Because for some of us, just by drinking bottled water and being careful about how much soup, coffee, etc, we consume, it makes a huge difference in how it affects us.

I assume you also stopped eating soup, drinking coffee and tea, and the dispensered juice drinks. All made with the ship’s tap water.

You make a very good point. I DO make a conscious effort to limit my consumption of anything made with the ship's tap water. (My only real weakness is coffee -- and I just cut back to one cup, in the morning). Oh, and if I have a good sparkling water (Perrier or San Pel), I can do without most teas or juices.

Because for some of us, just by drinking bottled water and being careful about how much soup, coffee, etc, we consume, it makes a huge difference in how it affects us.

I've almost given up on the soups onboard. In addition to any residual sodium in the water, the chefs put way too much salt in the soups, IMHO. Also, the poster who suggested eating bananas had a very good idea. I always try to have one with breakfast (when they have them in the buffet).

My mother, who had heart failure, also had trouble with swollen hands and ankles on cruises. She was told to limit her salt, increase her water consumption but avoid alcohol. She was also told to remain active even though she was on a cruise, never to sit too long and to walk 5 or 10 minutes every hour. Health problems are difficult to prevent on a cruise. Her doctor did stop short of recommending she not cruise.