What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

4 hours ago, xcell said:

Aim higher -- the H4 room is my all time favorite but prices for those are way above my pay grade (even with bidding).

Definitely, our second favorite is the H4. Love that bathroom. 

Sailing NCL escape on a 7 day Bermuda out of NY. Initially was booked in an inside guarantee. Put an offer in of $250 pp for a spa balcony "was in the upper part of the fair range", also put an offer of $200 for a regular balcony. Got the email today they accepted our spa offer. Seems like a super great deal. A Spa balcony over our initial inside was almost $2k more. So it's a given to say I'm a big fan of ncls upgrade system. Would have loved all the free at sea perks the balcony came with but I'll take what I can get

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tap_out said:

Sailing NCL escape on a 7 day Bermuda out of NY. Initially was booked in an inside guarantee. Put an offer in of $250 pp for a spa balcony "was in the upper part of the fair range", also put an offer of $200 for a regular balcony. Got the email today they accepted our spa offer. Seems like a super great deal. A Spa balcony over our initial inside was almost $2k more. So it's a given to say I'm a big fan of ncls upgrade system. Would have loved all the free at sea perks the balcony came with but I'll take what I can get

I am thinking of putting in a bid on a Haven cabin. 

Would it mean that I would lose all the Free at Sea perks I received with the mini suite I booked?

I thought that those Free at Sea options I took (incl bev package and specialty restaurants) would just move over to the new Haven cabin (if my bid is successful). Or is this not the case?

50 minutes ago, beckyboo1986 said:

How does bidding work please? I've booked a sailaway balcony for my cruise in October.

When you are 80 days out, you will receive an "offer to upgrade" on your MYNCL site, assuming you booked through NCL or a participating agent.

You can then "bid" on cabins up through 2 Meta Categories above your current cabin.

- Inside can bid on OV and Balcony

- OV can bid on Balcony and Mini-Suites

- Balcony can bid all the way up to Havens

A bid range will be offered for each available cabin type as a Per Person charge (min to max) and you decide what you are comfortable paying within that range.

You choose which cabin categories you bid on, but you have not say on the actual cabin # within that category if you win.  You keep all your current perks (SDP, UDP, Etc.) from your original cabin but do not gain new perks if you win.

If you win, they immediately charge your credit card 2x your bid price (you pay for 2 people, regardless of the # in your cabin).

You are notified any moment after you place your bid (although unlikely) to up to 48 hrs before you sail if you win or get declined.

You can cancel or change your bid at any time, up to the moment it is either accepted or declined.

If accepted, there is no turning back.  You get a new cabin assignment and you then pop back on this board and let everyone know "I WON!!!!!" 

This particular discussion has a wealth of information within its 146 (and growing) pages about the process, people's successes and answers to virtually every question surrounding this process - except the exact algorithm used to determine the winners.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

You keep all your current perks (SDP, UDP, Etc.) from your original cabin but do not gain new perks if you win.

Are you sure this is true? I thought if you were upgraded to a Spa balcony, you get the perk of going to the spa for free. If You're upgraded to the Haven, you can use the Haven only areas, etc.

17 minutes ago, Cariot said:

Are you sure this is true? I thought if you were upgraded to a Spa balcony, you get the perk of going to the spa for free. If You're upgraded to the Haven, you can use the Haven only areas, etc.

You take perks with you that come from your booking (i.e. Take All Free), but not those that come with the room. Similarly, if you get upgraded you don't gain perks that come from booking (i.e. more Free At Sea than you got for your original room type) but you do gain those that come with the room (i.e. Spa access, Haven lounge).

For example, if I book a Spa Balcony and win my bid for a Haven Penthouse, I would lose my Spa access because that was a perk that was associated with the room, not the booking. I'd gain Haven access, but I'd have to buy Spa passes if I still wanted to use the Spa.

Another example - Let's say I book an Inside and get one free offer with my booking, whereas Balcony rooms get 2. If I get upgraded to a Balcony, I don't get an additional free offer because those offers are associated with the booking, not the room.

Edited by kayteecat
wording
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Cariot said:

You do not get are any additional "Free at Sea" perks associated with buying that cabin outright.  The amenities that come with a particular cabin (Haven concierge, pool area, butler, etc.) you most certainly get. 

You always will get the amenities that come with a room.   So you are correct, if you bid into a spa balcony, you gain thermal spa access.

On the flip side, if you are in a Spa Balcony and then bid into a Haven courtyard, you lose the spa access.

1 hour ago, AK Dreaming said:

I just off the Breakaway of the 7th on a cruise I did not win my bid on.  Now I'm booked on the September 15th cruise and I have not been offered an upgrade.  I booked with NCL.com.  

When did you book?  It takes two to three business days after you book a new cruise to get upgrade banner.

1 hour ago, AK Dreaming said:

I just off the Breakaway of the 7th on a cruise I did not win my bid on.  Now I'm booked on the September 15th cruise and I have not been offered an upgrade.  I booked with NCL.com.  

We sail next month...Have cruised 40++ times.  This is the first time I have not received upgrade email (since they started doing upgrades this way).  I called NCL and was told it is random and it could still show up, but they couldn't do anything for me.  They made sure there was no other reason I did not receive it.  Not happy about it.  Good thing we booked a great cabin.

56 minutes ago, cruisencrazy said:

We sail next month...Have cruised 40++ times.  This is the first time I have not received upgrade email (since they started doing upgrades this way).  I called NCL and was told it is random and it could still show up, but they couldn't do anything for me.  They made sure there was no other reason I did not receive it.  Not happy about it.  Good thing we booked a great cabin.

Try an old link from email confirmation of a past bid, sometimes that will get you to the bid screen

1 hour ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

Try an old link from email confirmation of a past bid, sometimes that will get you to the bid screen

I can find them from RCCL Royal UP, but only confirmations for a bid, not the invite from NCL....will have to keep looking.  Thanks!!  Update...found old invitations...did not work

Edited by cruisencrazy
update

19 hours ago, Nclgetawaymenhoney said:

When did you book?  It takes two to three business days after you book a new cruise to get upgrade banner.

You were correct and I was impatient.  I got it today.  Hard to choose to bid though as I have a GTY.  Until I know my cabin number it is hard to know what to bid.  If they give me a OV on 5, I would not want to move.  Good problems to have I guess.

52 minutes ago, lfreda said:

In my experience, I have not received the mail when booked in a GTY until a cabin number was assigned.

This is my second time with a GTY on the Breakaway.  Both times now, I got the upgrade email before getting a cabin.  Last time I did not get the cabin until the weekend before the cruise.

15 minutes ago, nhquilter1 said:

I did a mock booking and found previously "sold out" inside cabins now available...

Does that mean they've started the upgrade process? Or am I just wishful thinking?

Unless your sailing within next week or so it’s probably a block of rooms that was “held” for group booking or at hold that expired so those rooms just went back into the inventory that everyone can see.

I am sailing on the Gem next week (7/26) to Bermuda. We booked a sail away inside and had a cabin on deck 10. I put in a bid of $55 pp to upgrade to an ocean view and got an email today that it was accepted. I was honestly really surprised. Our new cabin is category OA on deck 8. I’m very happy with the upgrade. I’m sailing with my mom and she wasn’t thrilled with the idea of an inside but agreed to it in the interest of saving money. I’m not going to tell her until we get on the ship. I hope it’s a good surprise.  

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, kristi391 said:

I am sailing on the Gem next week (7/26) to Bermuda. We booked a sail away inside and had a cabin on deck 10. I put in a bid of $55 pp to upgrade to an ocean view and got an email today that it was accepted. I was honestly really surprised. Our new cabin is category OA on deck 8. I’m very happy with the upgrade. I’m sailing with my mom and she wasn’t thrilled with the idea of an inside but agreed to it in the interest of saving money. I’m not going to tell her until we get on the ship. I hope it’s a good surprise.  

Congratulations!! I'm sure your Mom will be well pleased.  Deck 8 is a great deck location on the Jewel class ships IMO.  Hope you and Mom have a great cruise. 

Cheers

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kristi391 said:

I’m not going to tell her until we get on the ship. I hope it’s a good surprise.  

Damn, that's such a good idea! I should have done that with my partner after switching our rooms higher.

• Like 1