What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

17 hours ago, kristi391 said:

I am sailing on the Gem next week (7/26) to Bermuda. We booked a sail away inside and had a cabin on deck 10. I put in a bid of $55 pp to upgrade to an ocean view and got an email today that it was accepted. I was honestly really surprised. Our new cabin is category OA on deck 8. I’m very happy with the upgrade. I’m sailing with my mom and she wasn’t thrilled with the idea of an inside but agreed to it in the interest of saving money. I’m not going to tell her until we get on the ship. I hope it’s a good surprise.  

Congratulations! I've noticed that people are getting notified sooner regarding their upgrades.  From what I have read, people tend to hear between 2-5 days. Yours was over a week prior. I wonder if there is a rhyme or reason?

On 7/16/2019 at 12:10 PM, kayteecat said:

You take perks with you that come from your booking (i.e. Take All Free), but not those that come with the room. Similarly, if you get upgraded you don't gain perks that come from booking (i.e. more Free At Sea than you got for your original room type) but you do gain those that come with the room (i.e. Spa access, Haven lounge).

For example, if I book a Spa Balcony and win my bid for a Haven Penthouse, I would lose my Spa access because that was a perk that was associated with the room, not the booking. I'd gain Haven access, but I'd have to buy Spa passes if I still wanted to use the Spa.

Another example - Let's say I book an Inside and get one free offer with my booking, whereas Balcony rooms get 2. If I get upgraded to a Balcony, I don't get an additional free offer because those offers are associated with the booking, not the room.

no

On 7/16/2019 at 6:10 PM, kayteecat said:

You take perks with you that come from your booking (i.e. Take All Free), but not those that come with the room. Similarly, if you get upgraded you don't gain perks that come from booking (i.e. more Free At Sea than you got for your original room type) but you do gain those that come with the room (i.e. Spa access, Haven lounge).

For example, if I book a Spa Balcony and win my bid for a Haven Penthouse, I would lose my Spa access because that was a perk that was associated with the room, not the booking. I'd gain Haven access, but I'd have to buy Spa passes if I still wanted to use the Spa.

Another example - Let's say I book an Inside and get one free offer with my booking, whereas Balcony rooms get 2. If I get upgraded to a Balcony, I don't get an additional free offer because those offers are associated with the booking, not the room.

That is really helpful.  

I agree with some of the previous posters (Keith) and doubt if I would want the extra cost of an upgrade.  The cruises that I choose never seem to drop in price, but it is worth knowing because one day I might.  I got the offer to upgrade for the Epic last autumn but not on the Star this September.  I didn't bid for the Epic because I was not sure that I would keep the perk of tips having been paid.    This post seems to indicate that I may have done.  

I am happy with my cabin choice on the Star.  I spend so much time choosing my cabins it does seem a shame to leave it to a bidding chance.  

Sail out July 21 for 7 days Caribbean. I get offers 3 options room OV, BL and SBL start from 25,50 and 125. and I book a thermal spa for 199$.I just put the poor bid start for SBL @125 because if I won will be wonderful for our vacation if not I still have the thermal spa to use for this trip anyway. After I get the confirmed yesterday(still happy) I call my PCC to cancel my original thermal spa and now I still get to use thermal spa and a new room for 250$. I think it pretty good deal. Thanks NCL.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

Any August Escape sailors get their Haven bid accepted this week?

Still early for augsust sailings, if you look at the July 28th sailing of escape there are still 20 havens left, with the exception of a few very heavy and/or over bids, the bulk of those upgrades will happen next Tuesday to Thursday for July 28th sailing, as always supply and demand can change that slightly but historically speaking that is the normal process for haven upgrades

12 hours ago, Nclgetawaymenhoney said:

Still early for augsust sailings, if you look at the July 28th sailing of escape there are still 20 havens left, with the exception of a few very heavy and/or over bids, the bulk of those upgrades will happen next Tuesday to Thursday for July 28th sailing, as always supply and demand can change that slightly but historically speaking that is the normal process for haven upgrades

Yeah it is crazy how many Havens are available in August on the Escape and we are at the end of July.  

On 7/18/2019 at 8:22 PM, ollienbertsmum said:

That is really helpful.  

I agree with some of the previous posters (Keith) and doubt if I would want the extra cost of an upgrade.  The cruises that I choose never seem to drop in price, but it is worth knowing because one day I might.  I got the offer to upgrade for the Epic last autumn but not on the Star this September.  I didn't bid for the Epic because I was not sure that I would keep the perk of tips having been paid.    This post seems to indicate that I may have done.  

I am happy with my cabin choice on the Star.  I spend so much time choosing my cabins it does seem a shame to leave it to a bidding chance.  

Darn it I have got the upgrade email for the Star.  I can vote on balcony and mini-suite.  Now I am so fickle, I really was happy with my room choice.  I worked so hard to find it.  But even if I bid in the upper range it would be less than the price difference for a balcony was at the start (£950 for the booking).

What is it about the Upgrade programme that makes it so tempting. 

Oh I will go for it!

Edited by ollienbertsmum

On 7/20/2019 at 2:17 PM, gotscrapz said:

Anti e have their offer a accepted yet for the Breakaway next Sunday, the 28th?

Thanks!

Patience is not one of my virtues! I still have a couple of weeks before my vacation on the Breakaway and the suspense is killing. If you haven't heard about your offer, I hope you hear soon!

4 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Anyone know what happens if they don’t have enough bids to fill the Haven suites.

I doubt the demand for Haven upgrades ever dips low enough for that to occur but I'd imagine they would drop the minimum bid or reduce the booking price if they were that close to sailing with them empty.

We are sailing August 23rd to Bermuda on the Gem booked in a OK obstructed ocean view, 4 to the room, booked over a year ago when this sailing still has 3rd and 4th guest free. Was able to bid on balcony and mini suite. We had a low bid of $25 for the balcony and $50 for the mini suite. I offered $50 for the balcony (considered a bad bid) and $100 for the mini suite (also a poor bid). Just received our email today that our bid for a mini suite was accepted! Looks like we'll be under La Cucina, which doesn't seem too bad. 

My brother and his girl friend were also upgraded from ok to a balcony today. I am not sure what they bid. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 2:17 PM, gotscrapz said:

Anti e have their offer a accepted yet for the Breakaway next Sunday, the 28th?

Thanks!

I did today.  We were in a balcony room and I had bid $50 for an upgrade to a mini-suite.  Offer was accepted early this afternoon and we were moved to a mini-suite with large balcony.

Those August Escape Haven are going fast since they dropped the prices this week.  Rather than wait to see if you win your bid, I’d price out what it would cost to just pay for the upgrade.  There are still some great bargains but each day more and more are gone.

Bid on my 7/29 Jewel cruise. Haven't heard anything yet. Deliberately did low bids because I'm okay with my current indoor cabin. 

Bid $75(really $150 since I'm solo) on oceanview....considered a poor bid...lowest you could bid is $50

Bid $150 (really $300 since I'm solo) on balcony.....considered a poor bid ...lowest you could bid is $75

Won our bid yesterday for an inside (Cat I1) to a balcony (Cat B2). 22 days out. I bid 110 pp. probably overbid by a little but I really wanted a balcony! Really happy I didn’t end up on deck 8 with a Privasea one, which happened to me last time. This time I got to stay on floor 10.  

Not sailing until Aug 16 2016 on the Gem. I had been checking how many rooms were still available and there were over 15 balconies and over 15 mini suites still open before I got upgraded. After upgrade, price of inside rooms dropped by almost $200. My theory is that the balconies and mini suites weren’t selling so they upgraded people early to open up more insides to try and sell.  

So for anyone anxiously awaiting an upgrade, definitely do mock bookings and check how many rooms are still open for each category! It might give you an idea of your chances/how aggressively you should bid. 

Edited by Jess46

11 hours ago, Shidah said:

Those August Escape Haven are going fast since they dropped the prices this week.  Rather than wait to see if you win your bid, I’d price out what it would cost to just pay for the upgrade.  There are still some great bargains but each day more and more are gone.

I had a bid in for our August Escape cruise, had been watching the inventory to see if I thought we'd have a chance.  Yesterday I noticed the price drop on the H5 so called my travel agent and paid for the upgrade.  

18 hours ago, Shidah said:

That is the case on the Breakaway.  We decided that we just pay for the upgrade but couldn't understand why the quote was so high. We got three different reasons from three different PCC.  Finally I asked for a breakdown. We learned that if we upgrade, we lose our free air promotion and would have to pay an additional $748 - $349pp and an additional $50 for the third person. Needless to say, I am very disappointed.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:45 AM, baflagg said:

I had a bid in for our August Escape cruise, had been watching the inventory to see if I thought we'd have a chance.  Yesterday I noticed the price drop on the H5 so called my travel agent and paid for the upgrade.  

How much and from what to H5?

Drvmywifecrazy, it is easy to call and find out exactly how much it costs to upgrade. It doesn’t matter what you are upgrading from per se, generally it is today’s prices minus what you have already paid.  It isn’t a negotiable price.

I got an offer yesterday to bid on an upgrade for our Breakaway cruise. I've never done it before and thought "why not"?

We booked an interior and will be perfectly happy with it and not spending any more money, but if we get the upgrade, then that's fine too. We tend to cruise for the itinerary and ship, not the room because we really don't spend a lot of time in them.

I wonder how long it will be before they let us know anything? We sail in 1 week. LOL

I bid pretty low on all of them: $125 on spa balcony, $75 of balcony, $50 on OV.

Last time we were on Breakaway in a mini-suite.

46 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

I got an offer yesterday to bid on an upgrade for our Breakaway cruise. I've never done it before and thought "why not"?

We booked an interior and will be perfectly happy with it and not spending any more money, but if we get the upgrade, then that's fine too. We tend to cruise for the itinerary and ship, not the room because we really don't spend a lot of time in them.

I wonder how long it will be before they let us know anything? We sail in 1 week. LOL

I bid pretty low on all of them: $125 on spa balcony, $75 of balcony, $50 on OV.

Last time we were on Breakaway in a mini-suite.

You should be finding out shortly, if your cruise is in a week but most will be answered 2 days before sailing.