What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

It could also be who bids the most.

They already have your money, so it depends on much you bid...but we will never know.

For instance, MS bid for an H4 range from $1000 and up, where as H8 is $500 and up.

Even though they paid more for the H8 cabin than the MS, if the MS bids $1000, NCL will make more money on that bid than the $500.

Yes, other factors will play in, but I think at the end of the day for NCL is how much money can they get in total. I think that's also why they make you bid on rooms that are not available to see what the interest is, and they maybe they can do some shuffling around to open up rooms. It's a complicated algorithm for sure, that's probably being fine tuned (because you cannot account for all the factors).

Edited by xcell

16 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

It would only make sense that it would.  The final price for the cabin would be the bid plus the original booked room costs.  Wouldn't make sense for them to upgrade someone with a minisuite to H4 over someone with an H8 if the bid was the same or even if the final total price was equal.  I'm sure they use a very sophisticated algorithm to make sure they get as much money as possible.  I'd also assume that they fill the higher class cabins first since it will open up another cabin to take a bid for.  Which is why they probably still take bids for a class of cabin that currently shows as being sold out.

Problem is there are examples  that seem to validate every possible scenario with no true consistency.  

15 minutes ago, cliffd64 said:

Problem is there are examples  that seem to validate every possible scenario with no true consistency.  

You just hit the nail on the head, but people continue to search for the magic formula that just doesn’t exist

Yes, I agree!  I canceled my bid. I bought the cabin I wanted. However, the waiting on NCL to respond felt uneasy. I’m happy where I am. Given the nastiness I encountered when all my dining disappeared, I’m just cutting my losses and staying put. Additionally, hearing about the passengers on the NCL Spirit left me feeling uneasy. 

17 minutes ago, Momma Rene said:

Yes, I agree!  I canceled my bid. I bought the cabin I wanted. However, the waiting on NCL to respond felt uneasy. I’m happy where I am. Given the nastiness I encountered when all my dining disappeared, I’m just cutting my losses and staying put. Additionally, hearing about the passengers on the NCL Spirit left me feeling uneasy. 

I upgraded too, and agree with you.  The Spirit made me feel very uneasy...I was waiting for a public apology from NCL for at least the internal issues (bathroom, etc...) and they have not.  Worrying.

Hi All!   I am sure somewhere in the 5000 responses my question has been posted and answered.  But I really don't want to scroll through 5000+ questions!  SO - 

We are on the Getaway starting Dec 13. for 9 days.  We are in a balcony now, and bid for a Haven Suite.  My question is, does anyone know what the typical accepted amount is? And when do you typically find out if your bid is accepted?  This is our first bidding process.  We had previously booked through Costco travel and they were not part of the bid upgrade offers. 

Thanks and sorry for the repetitive (i'm sure) question.  

Edited by jennsouth217

2 hours ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

It would only make sense that it would.  The final price for the cabin would be the bid plus the original booked room costs.  Wouldn't make sense for them to upgrade someone with a minisuite to H4 over someone with an H8 if the bid was the same or even if the final total price was equal I'm sure they use a very sophisticated algorithm to make sure they get as much money as possible.  I'd also assume that they fill the higher class cabins first since it will open up another cabin to take a bid for.  Which is why they probably still take bids for a class of cabin that currently shows as being sold out.

Your logic makes sense, but I can think of one possible reason to upgrade someone with a minisuite as opposed to someone already in the Haven - if the total final price was equal.

It  might be a way to convert someone to Haven, if they have a great experience and it was their first time, and in turn it might mean more revenue for the future.

2 minutes ago, jennsouth217 said:

Hi All!   I am sure somewhere in the 5000 responses my question has been posted and answered.  But I really don't want to scroll through 5000+ questions!  SO - 

We are on the Getaway starting Dec 13. for 9 days.  We are in a balcony now, and bid for a Haven Suite.  My question is, does anyone know what the typical accepted amount is? And when do you typically find out if your bid is accepted?  This is our first bidding process.  We had previously booked through Costco travel and they were not part of the bid upgrade offers. 

There is no typical amount, too many variables :D.  Best advise is be happy with the room you have and bid what you are comfortable spending extra for on the room you want.

Just now, DinaS said:

Your logic makes sense, but I can think of one possible reason to upgrade someone with a minisuite as opposed to someone already in the Haven - if the total final price was equal.

It  might be a way to convert someone to Haven, if they have a great experience and it was their first time, and in turn it might mean more revenue for the future.

Yeah, possibly.  I was just thinking that it would make the most sense if it were structured from the top down.  If they fill an H4 with someone who originally had an H8 then it opens up an H8 which would get a higher bid than a mini-suite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jennsouth217 said:

Have your looked at availabllty on your sailing?  I did and their are only 3 havens left on the ship, it's very doubtful that any bid will win those probably will sell on their own before the process bids, it's all supply demand and that particular sailing looks quite full yes there's always cancellations but again they'll try and resell at retail until the last minute 

3 hours ago, jennsouth217 said:

I would second looking at the current prices to upgrade.  I was bidding, but almost all the Haven categories were sold out-just an accessible H7 left and an H8.  I paid for the upgrade to the H8, it was the difference between the rate I paid for my cabin (minisuite) and the H8.  Now I don't need to worry about the bids, if I am going to get it or not, etc...it is just done and I know I am going to get the Haven experience. 

I would have been happy with my minisuite, but the draw for the Haven experience was just too much for me.  So I went for it.  YOLO!

Third time’s the charm! After no luck on our previous cruises I just got confirmation that my 200$ per person bid got us a balcony room instead of our booked GTY inside on the Epic, leaving Civitavecchia on Wednesday. 🙂 We had gotten a great deal on the inside when we booked in May and the balcony would have been 350$ more at the time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 23words said:

Third time’s the charm! After no luck on our previous cruises I just got confirmation that my 200$ per person bid got us a balcony room instead of our booked GTY inside on the Epic, leaving Civitavecchia on Wednesday. 🙂 We had gotten a great deal on the inside when we booked in May and the balcony would have been 350$ more at the time.

Wow, down to the wire. Congratulations.

11 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

I was surprised that my upgrade bid was already accepted for my December 1 cruise on the Encore...48 days away.  OV to a balcony for $35 per person.

I’m bidding on that cruise too.  Your bid acceptance gives me hope.  Congrats on your upgrade!

with my last cruise I ended up just buying the last balcony.  It was the Epic in April and it ended up being sold out, or so they said.  I ended up in an aft balcony, it was great.  back in 2016 i was able to get a free upgrade when the prices dropped, went from balcony to mini suite for nothing.  They no longer offer that and you have to pay the differnce.  If the price drops you now have to pay the difference.  My next one is this February, and I'll try bidding to go from inside to balcony, or if it looks full I'll just call and buy up to a balcony.   One thing I have heard is that they factor in past cruises and spending while on board. 

1 hour ago, map03020 said:

with my last cruise I ended up just buying the last balcony.  It was the Epic in April and it ended up being sold out, or so they said.  I ended up in an aft balcony, it was great.  back in 2016 i was able to get a free upgrade when the prices dropped, went from balcony to mini suite for nothing.  They no longer offer that and you have to pay the differnce.  If the price drops you now have to pay the difference.  My next one is this February, and I'll try bidding to go from inside to balcony, or if it looks full I'll just call and buy up to a balcony.   One thing I have heard is that they factor in past cruises and spending while on board. 

You can still get a free upgrade when the prices drop.  We did, along with MANY other people on our sailing.  The balcony price dropped, and now the mini suite price was the same as we paid for a balcony.  We were upgraded to a mini suite at no charge.

3 hours ago, DinaS said:

You can still get a free upgrade when the prices drop.  We did, along with MANY other people on our sailing.  The balcony price dropped, and now the mini suite price was the same as we paid for a balcony.  We were upgraded to a mini suite at no charge.

Thanks, I thought that I heard they did away with that practice.  If they drop, I'll call.  its an 11 night and a smaller ship, so my gut is that it will sell out and they may not lower prices.  I usually don't do sailaway rate, but I chose that this time so its a real gamble where we end up.  So I definitely plan on upgrading to a balcony room, one way or another,  even if I don't get to choose the room. 

On 10/14/2019 at 3:52 PM, SlipperyP said:

I was surprised that my upgrade bid was already accepted for my December 1 cruise on the Encore...48 days away.  OV to a balcony for $35 per person.

That is great! I checked today, we are still in pending status. Fingers crossed! 

Upgrade awarded 53 days out! We got our spa balcony at $150 pp for the December 8th Encore to E. Caribbean (from a mid-ship balcony). With the sun deck situation, I am quite happy to have a quiet place to read my book and look out the aft of the ship. Someone else on my roll call was also moved from an inside to a balcony and it's now being reported the spa balconies are sold out.

Also, @SailBreakaway, this was rated a fair bid if this helps you.

Edited by kayteecat
  • Like 2

Just now, kayteecat said:

Upgrade awarded 53 days out! We got our spa balcony at $150 pp for the December 8th Encore to E. Caribbean (from a mid-ship balcony). With the sun deck situation, I am quite happy to have a quiet place to read my book and look out the aft of the ship. Someone else on my roll call was also moved from an inside to a balcony and it's now being reported the spa balconies are sold out.

The spa balconies may be sold out at this moment in time, but it is very likely they will become available after those with spa balconies are upgraded.