Live from Quest Rome to Venice

Grandma Cruising

We had another relaxing day yesterday on Deck 11. No photos as we were at sea all day. We did book another cruise though! We’ve booked for the Lisbon to Rio TA in November 2019. We’ve never done a TA before and this one has a very southerly route and quite a lot of ports along the way.

The show last night was ‘Back to Broadway’ with the 4 singers and the band. I thought it was very good. I watched that while my DH watched the France v Belgium match in a very crowded Spirits bar.

Good news for the match tonight (England v Croatia). They’re putting the first half on in both the big screens in the Cabaret Lounge and on the Pool deck. The second half will be on the big screen on the Pool Deck only, because Meg Young (Assistant CD) is putting her show on in the Cabaret Lounge at 9:45pm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went ashore this morning by tender and then bought tickets for a boat trip to Cavtat - ticket desks are on your right as you get off the tender. It cost us €15 (100Kuna) each for the return trip. It took about 45 minutes each way. We really liked Cavtat. A very nice seaside town, with some very smart yachts moored there. There are lots of bars & restaurants along the front, then the old village climbs up the hill behind the harbour front.

We used an ATM in Cavtat to get some Kuna (minimum possible was 200) so we could treat ourselves to an ice-cream in one of the little bars. Croatian ice-creams are as nice as Italian gelatos.

Quest at anchor off Dubrovnik

047d3c1a04da71996e904238c2195822.jpg

View from Cavtat water-front.

413bc49c8a7d2836ee2694064cf1bd3c.jpg

Cavtat water-front

2f108e6c5d909e36fae744480f1a9f58.jpg

789ed12f8768c47584b15417c61c43d6.jpg

Sea-water swimming pool in Cavtat

b6e8d147309d8f155f5bd52dac4726f0.jpg

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

When we got back to Dubrovnik we had a wander around the streets of the old town, which was very busy and very hot, before getting the tender back at about 2pm.

Dubrovnik harbour from the tender

f2e6901664d06ba9740464ee3d54fbea.jpg

7a586cb4dab0a7af2ec579681914fa2d.jpg

Dubrovnik side street

844a3ac313507c35264f1b52af8259ca.jpg

Square in Dubrovnik

b692f4fe22c61266e4cd140cdb21376b.jpg

Last night we had an early dinner in Windows, where there was a lovely Spanish buffet - Paella, Black squid risotto, roast lamb, chicken & chorizo stew etc.

Then down to the Cabaret Lounge to watch the first half on the big screen in there.

173f03058a89198ec675080d915a4f29.jpg

At half time we all moved out onto the pool deck & deck 10, where seats were set out, along with the sun beds. There was also a great snack buffet with mini slides, samosas, sausage rolls & lots of other little delicacies, as well as desserts.

There was great consternation when the signal intermittently failed during the dying minutes of the game!

7698310a3adc540fd8be61ee51715069.jpg

Of course, it was very disappointing when England lost in extra time. We could see red flares being set off over Dubrovnik when Croatia scored, and at the end of the game.

b97505e1e281ea3f6930d675cbd8c533.jpg

The ship’s anchor was raised just before the end of the game and we sailed away from the lights of Dubrovnik.

Thursday morning 11 July

We are currently going through St Anthony’s channel as we approach Sibenik. We plan to walk around the town, as it looks to be very historic, with lots to see.

We moored at Sibenik after 8am this morning.

6c471e402eb2ba08dfe2b985a597a5f4.jpg

As we are moored up on the town’s waterfront, no shuttle buses are needed, so we set off to walk to the old town at about 10am. Unfortunately just as we left the gangplank a wasp flew into DH’s sandal, landing under his big toe & stinging it. I rushed back to the stateroom to get some ointment to relieve the pain, and eventually we set off again.

It was 10-15 minutes walk along the waterfront to the Cathedral of St James. It’s an interesting building with lovely carvings around the doors, and a roof that looks like a barrel.

6367f9c4158f0074f748c9e82fe3bc86.jpg

Main altar

0f35ef70cb7c8444befaea4792483519.jpg

Side chapel

0e4c11acfc848e35bb619da981db71e7.jpg

Beautiful carved roof of the Baptistry

ca7101520ca28056d2c04cf8016bb1f7.jpg

From the cathedral we set of up the stepped streets into the old town to look for the St Laurence Monastery gardens.

We found some signposts and followed these, eventually arriving there. We walked past the entrance, as it just looks like a cafe. Once we realised we doubled back and went in. Once you get through the cafe there is a small garden, set out in 4 parterre sections, full of herbs and flowers. We were a little disappointed to learn that it is not an old garden belonging to a monastery, but is a very recently made garden, designed to look like a monastery garden. It was very pretty.

On the way up there we came across a grotto dedicated to the Madonna

Sent from my iPad using Forums57f1a0f50cfe01bf55e189eac678d61a.jpg

There was great consternation when the signal intermittently failed during the dying minutes of the game!

I just read this tidbit in my morning Sf Chronicle...

YouTube TV had nationwide outages Wednesday — smack in the middle of the World Cup semifinal between Croatia and England. Variety reported that YouTube TV tweeted about the technical problem and acknowledged “the timing is horrible,” pointing users to Fox Sports apps and websites. Service was restored before the game ended.”

Hi Grandma,

I am curious if Christine Pedi was one of the 54 Below entertainers on your cruise. I was listening to her on Sirius XM "On Broadway" channel yesterday and she said she was currently sailing on the Azamara Quest. She said she was having a lovely time.

Hi Grandma,

I am curious if Christine Pedi was one of the 54 Below entertainers on your cruise. I was listening to her on Sirius XM "On Broadway" channel yesterday and she said she was currently sailing on the Azamara Quest. She said she was having a lovely time.

Yes, she was. I thought she was very entertaining..

Phil

I just read this tidbit in my morning Sf Chronicle...

YouTube TV had nationwide outages Wednesday — smack in the middle of the World Cup semifinal between Croatia and England. Variety reported that YouTube TV tweeted about the technical problem and acknowledged “the timing is horrible,” pointing users to Fox Sports apps and websites. Service was restored before the game ended.”

It was because the the ship had to start it's maneuvers toward the end of the match as it went to extra time. The satellite signal started to break up because of it.

Phil

Sibenik

After the Monastery Gardens we continued upwards to the Castle of St Michael. It was not far, but a lot of steps. It was well worth it for the view from up there. In the middle of the castle there is a lovely open air theatre where concerts are held.

223be10b429d7eb160b440c49525a0f7.jpgdecb8dc7ee7bc508bcf97fbc8f03ef60.jpg

e3db6124e9261cd61900b8423f1972e8.jpg

664f228eb26d2910665b20b92b5fec5f.jpg

bf10dc1409f61437da111df4bc299667.jpg

Sibenik

We then wandered back through the narrow streets to the waterfront & then back to the ship.

We were amazed to see a lot of swans swimming in the sea along the waterfront, and coming up to boats to be fed.4a262f1060200664d90bac4e8e7f7ce5.jpg

4b7e77425553c9f366c23a9c3f83ca3b.jpg

74041f60b726e42c74bdfa850d81eb2d.jpg

9d5d1b79156794f825d8faeb475cca6d.jpg

I use the Cruise Critic app and I’m on an iPad. On the app when you post you’ll see a little cross in a circle at the left hand side of the reply box, when you’re writing. If you click it, it expands and you’ll see at the bottom of the box and a little camera then a mountain in a box. If you click on the mountain it takes you to photos. You select the one you want & click ‘done’.

It will then ask you whether you want best, medium or small size. As CC will only take photos below 2000mps, I select small or medium.

Could I just add that the C.C App will only allow you to upload 6 photos per post. If you have more to add, you need to start another post.

Loving your photos HGC, it’s raining in Yorkshire this morning!!:evilsmile:

Really enjoying following your journey and especially loving your photos. Great to see some places where we've never been to before and where only smaller ship, like Azamara, can reach. Have you had any good guest lecturers on board?

Lynne:)