Amazon Fire Stick

I was wondering something similar lately about hooking up my tablet to the TV so I could watch downloaded Netflix stuff. I sent Royal a private message on Facebook. They contacted the ship I was sailing on and got all the exact TV hookup connections needed. They are usually very helpful! :-)

I think it depends on the ship. I was just on Symphony in a crown loft and though I am sure the TV set up would have otherwise worked, the TVs were attached to the wall in such a way that connecting the firestick was not possible with either TV.

Please explain to a technically VERY challenged person how to do this :confused::confused::confused:

Find a TV with an open HDMI connection available and ability to switch to the HDMI input (some/most ships have that on ch 3, others you'll need a remote to switch to the HDMI input). During set up of the WiFi connection input the credentials of your VOOM info.

Find a TV with an open HDMI connection available and ability to switch to the HDMI input (some/most ships have that on ch 3, others you'll need a remote to switch to the HDMI input). During set up of the WiFi connection input the credentials of your VOOM info.

Thanks...we'll be cruising next on RCI Freedom...it's a B2B so would love to be able to set this up to watch some shows.

Thanks...we'll be cruising next on RCI Freedom...it's a B2B so would love to be able to set this up to watch some shows.

Keep in mind that if you only pay for one device, you'll need to log out if you want to use the wi-fi on your phone, tablet, etc.

Keep in mind that if you only pay for one device, you'll need to log out if you want to use the wi-fi on your phone, tablet, etc.

Yes...thanks...very aware of this...it's just the whole idea about how to hook it up that is puzzling.

• 1 month later...

On board Freedom and have our firestick & universal remote programmed to the TV but can't find the HDMI channel (3) on TV to switch input.....Any help would be appreciated !!

I was able to switch inputs either by buttons on the TV or on the remote there might be a button that looks like a TV with rabbit ears. Otherwise just start pushing buttons on the remote and you might find one that will change the input.

That being said, I found the speed to slow with to much buffering. Better to just download content to your IPad and use a HDMI patch cord to hook up to the TV.

Report back how it works as certain services (NETFLIX) won't work on foreign VPN's.

I think it depends a little bit on the region your FireStick was build.

I have a European FireStick, wanted to look European Series, but due to the fact, that the VOOM signal is directed over Miami, Amazon told me, that I am in the wrong region of the world.

I think a VPN tunnel would have solved the problem, but .... :o:confused::eek:

Greetings!

On board Freedom and have our firestick & universal remote programmed to the TV but can't find the HDMI channel (3) on TV to switch input.....Any help would be appreciated !!

You may want to try different combinations of inputs (I assume the TV has more than one). The cabin steward or guest services may need to help.

Hmmm...wondering if someone used their phone (with the Voom service) to create a WIFI hotspot and then connected the Amazon Fire Stick to that...if that would resolve any connection challenges.

That would likely also require that specific setup configuration with the hotspot prior to the cruise itself. Since Amazon Fire Sticks have been on sale for as low as $20 lately...one could almost do this as an experiment with minimal investment (assuming you signed up for Voom).

Hmmm...wondering if someone used their phone (with the Voom service) to create a WIFI hotspot and then connected the Amazon Fire Stick to that.. ... .

Most phones require cellular internet to function as a WiFi hotspot.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever figure it out? We are sailing in 18 days and I would LOVE to know prior to sailing if anyone was successful with the firestick...

Did you ever figure it out? We are sailing in 18 days and I would LOVE to know prior to sailing if anyone was successful with the firestick...

Well apparently on Freedom JS's deck #9 the HDMI input cannot be accessed (something with the inter active TV and the IT department)...only the TV's in GS's and above on deck #10 can do this easily.....We thought this was "crazy" !!!! But it is what we were told....and personally experienced since no one was able to change the input on our TV (maintenance had no clue what to do) and no access to channel 3 as some have said would work.

Our son and his wife (honeymoon cruise) had just sailed on Navigator in a balcony cabin and had no trouble accessing the HDMI (channel #3) in their cabin and so we were shocked to find out that in our JS on Freedom we couldn't.

Our cabin steward contacted someone in the electrical department onboard and a very understanding electrician came to our cabin and changed out the TV (same size but since IT didn't make any change we could't access the inter active option...we didn't care and let well enough alone at that point) and gave us a new remote that easily allowed us to access the HDMI input and our Firestick worked great ... allowing us to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime...truly made a big difference to us for our B2B.

• Like 1