Would YOU Do It???

Had a blast on the sailing to Bermuda with DW and the kids, though her and I reminisced a bit on our past trips with formal night dinners, specialty restaurants, and being able to float as we pleased without the kids (trying not to make it sound horrible!).

Anniversary is coming up in September and I wanted to surprise her with a quick trip - just the two of us.

In Laws have no problem watching our boys for an extended weekend (Friday - Monday).

I'm sure we can find some cheap airfare, and I'm having our TA look into it.

The question I have is - has anyone that lived in the Midwest (or far enough away from a port) found it worth a quick 3 night cruise just to get away? (I know that a lot of it is subjective, and it's all on what you want to spend... but I'm still curious about others' input!)

I would say go for it! Back in the day a few buddies and I would go to Midway Airport and look for a cheap flight.....no plans, just a small bag packed. It was fun!! That was how I went on my first cruise, a three day cruise to the Bahamas on the Dolphin IV. So, surprise the wife, have her pack a few things and have fun and play!!

You get a resounding YES from me. We are in Western NY and have to fly to all cruise ports. As a parent who has to take what she can get as far as getting away alone with hubby is concerned, I would definitely love it! We are considering a weekend cruise out of Miami soon. Sitters are willing to take a day or two off from work but not a week. You have to do what you can until the kids can go it alone. Do I prefer 7 or more days...you bet I do. However, I am grateful for anything I can get for now.

I guess what I should’ve said in the first post is it seems like a waste of money for the airfare for a 3 or 4 day cruise. Was just offering a suggestion. Next time I won’t.

Some people... Can't even preface the post with a "I know that some will say go for it and some won't" That's a given.

Guess there'll always be those people out there set on a remark to derail someone else (not referring to you, directly).

BUT - that's the conundrum, and it's always worth it to pick others' brains - REGARDLESS of which way they lean on it.

I really do appreciate the feedback!

I guess what I should’ve said in the first post is it seems like a waste of money for the airfare for a 3 or 4 day cruise. Was just offering a suggestion. Next time I won’t.

I wasn't trying to slam you for your post, just pointing out that if you're going to dedicate 7 nights, you're probably better off on one 7 night Oasis vs Mariner to Nassau b2b. Unless you really like Nassau. :D

Had a blast on the sailing to Bermuda with DW and the kids, though her and I reminisced a bit on our past trips with formal night dinners, specialty restaurants, and being able to float as we pleased without the kids (trying not to make it sound horrible!).

Anniversary is coming up in September and I wanted to surprise her with a quick trip - just the two of us.

In Laws have no problem watching our boys for an extended weekend (Friday - Monday).

The question I have is - has anyone that lived in the Midwest (or far enough away from a port) found it worth a quick 3 night cruise just to get away? (I know that a lot of it is subjective, and it's all on what you want to spend... but I'm still curious about others' input!)

I only live 8 hours or less from several ports that offer three night cruises, I drive to all my homeports and I will never, ever, ever do one again. Maybe only having a couple hour flight to and from would be easier than the 16 hours round trip of driving I did but no way I would spend the extra money on the airfare. 3 night cruises are just too short for me, unless I lived within an hour or so of the port Im sailing from.

To answer your question, no, I wouldnt do it :)

Now I'm curious where "South Chicago" is. I'm in the south burbs, but people would look at me like I had a second head if I tell them (especially out of towners) since they have no clue about the surrounding suburbs!

I'm Mokena/Frankfort.

Doesn't have the same ring as Chicago!

I'm not in the town of South Chicago which as you know is not a thing. Or a place. I'm further south of Chicago than you, but not really very much. ;) The K is not for my name or my kid's. And Go.

Edited by KmomChicago

You have no idea how hard I sat and laughed in front of my computer reading this - while trying not to let on why.

Our Stateroom attendant on the Anthem last month was from the Phillipines, and had an odd way of explaining things, and I just read that last portion of your reply in my mind in his voice.

"hiiiiiiiiiiiiii. I have a your sexy room service"

:')

Attitude is everything. While I agree that flying isn't the most entertaining thing to do...the truth is that kid free time begins at departure hour zero, leaving the house and headed for the airport. Most responses in the negative saying that the travel time versus vacation time isn't worth it...to which I say, depending on your day to day, and your approach to even the travel...good times with hubby alone away from the kids doesn't have to begin with the ding of your Sea Pass card.

If you're prepared with the toiletries for carry on travel...then packing and unpacking isn't a great hassle. Put some thought into the travel. Maybe I'm weird...the nice thing about being on the plane is that there's no pressure to think you should be doing anything other than sitting there while being transported to a place where I don't have to cook or do dishes for several nights.

I don't love air travel but it isn't the worst thing. I'll say again, it's a mind set.

:')

I don't love air travel but it isn't the worst thing. I'll say again, it's a mind set.

It is all a mind set, some of us actually like going to work. Vacation needs to offer enough benefit to make it worth not going to the office.

I vote YES.

Make the best of whatever option is available to you.