Disappointed in the Seaside

Mjsturg1

Sounds indeed like you should stick to Carnival. Although quite frankly the issues you cite seem minor on balance. I’ve never had a cruise without a bunch of minor issues, key is not to let them bother you.

Our experience was quite different, we found all the staff to be friendly and professional on MSC and again, we don’t sweat the minor things that inevitably come up during any 7 day experience shared with thousands of people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We enjoyed the cruise. We were expecting a better or at least on the same level as Carnival since everyone seems to put down Carnival as the Costco of the Sea..We set our expectations too high I guess as far as the service went. Every American couple we talked to were feeling the same way so it wasn't just us.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I venture to say if you were kvetching about service or whatever people tend to nod and perhaps bring up any minor points that they had found annoying. Doesn’t necessarily mean they would agree with your overall negative tone.

MJ ... did you check the drawers in the room for the paperwork ? as I said previous, without it the Stewards will not re stock the mini bar because they have to have written proof of what they have replaced.

Dave ... in fairness to the OP on this issue, we had a room steward once who would not stock our mini-bar, despite filling out and signing the forms. We ended up signing for drinks we never got, so didn't use. We had arguments with her, but, whether it was a language barrier issue or just her attitude, we couldn't get through to her. It's incredibly frustrating when you have a poor steward (though, fortunately, it's been a rare occurrence in our experience). Mind you, I wouldn't tolerate it now, the way I did then - savvy came with experience!

I venture to say if you were kvetching about service or whatever people tend to nod and perhaps bring up any minor points that they had found annoying. Doesn’t necessarily mean they would agree with your overall negative tone.

They were telling us about their guest service troubles.The first couple had the room they specifically booked to be next to family given away and then had to be relocated way on the opposite side of ship and had

to get over 6 key cards because none of them would scan..so no charging privileges well into 3 days cruising..that's unacceptable service.

The second couple said they were told over the phone that they were given an upgraded room and experience and then when they checked in the upgraded experience wasn't given.

They wasted hours at the guest service desk on the first day only to be treated poorly and lied to.

They were first time cruisers and it definitely wasn't a way to either make a good first impression or try to gain North American clientele.

If you do encounter with poor service or attitude from your cabin steward, who should you report that to while on the ship? Would that be Guest Relations or is there a head steward or equivalent? Certainly some action should be done to correct the situation.

Wasn't aware and didn't see any paperwork about the mini bar in the room...We asked the room steward about stocking it and that we had the deluxe package and he never once mentioned it but that seemed to be the problem..room steward only did bare minimum..never once did we even get a towel animal and had to call down for more toilet paper three different times during the week.

At that point I’d be asking to meet with the head housekeeper or a least the Hotel Director to address these issues. It’s not always the best move to go to Custer service or guest relations.

They were telling us about their guest service troubles.The first couple had the room they specifically booked to be next to family given away and then had to be relocated way on the opposite side of ship and had

to get over 6 key cards because none of them would scan..so no charging privileges well into 3 days cruising..that's unacceptable service.

The second couple said they were told over the phone that they were given an upgraded room and experience and then when they checked in the upgraded experience wasn't given.

They wasted hours at the guest service desk on the first day only to be treated poorly and lied to.

They were first time cruisers and it definitely wasn't a way to either make a good first impression or try to gain North American clientele.

Maybe the one couple with upgraded room misunderstood. You get a better room but not the experience. That is stated somewhere I read on MSC website regarding room upgrades. Although some cruiser have gotten the experience also.

Just like last week and this week no crepes for yc guests on seaside.. But others that have cruised a month ago on seaside have reported they were not charged for crepes. Actually another cruiser posted(on the same sailing as me) that they got free crepes while I was told it is an extra charge. Go figure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you do encounter with poor service or attitude from your cabin steward, who should you report that to while on the ship? Would that be Guest Relations or is there a head steward or equivalent? Certainly some action should be done to correct the situation.

All "big" nationalities have their own Guest Relation Manager. The Brits and US share one of cause, if very little US pax the Brits and Germans, of cause Portugal and Brazil and so on. I always talk directely to these persons, no use standing in the long line at the Guest Relation desk.

I dislike Carnival but love MSC. I think that the culture and experiences are so unique on MSC. It is unlikely that lovers of Carnival are going to be into MSC and vise versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

MNanna ... The head of housekeeping or the deputy are the people you need to speak to if you have any issue with a steward or anything in the room.

Both times on Seaside we have not had issues with our Stewards but one of our friends is the Deputy housekeeping manager .... :D. He is now on holiday at home.

I was disappointed with the service level as well. I was on the ship in April and the service can be improved. I also didn't think the food was all that great. However, like many of the folks here, I was there to enjoy myself, so found the things that made me happy and had a wonderful cruise! I don't think MSC is for everyone, just like the other cruise lines.

We enjoyed the cruise. We were expecting a better or at least on the same level as Carnival since everyone seems to put down Carnival as the Costco of the Sea..We set our expectations too high I guess as far as the service went. Every American couple we talked to were feeling the same way so it wasn't just us.

That is an insult to Costco :) Carnival is the Walmart of the seas, I think that's the correct comparison folks use. ;)

Just a quick comment....if you’re looking for a Carnival experience on MSC, the two lines are pretty dissimilar. Carnival certainly has a different emphasis regarding food. You won’t find anything remotely like the burgers on MSC that you can get in a place like Guy’s Burgers on Carnival.

Conversely, you won’t get anything remotely as good with the pizza they serve on MSC compared to the pizza they serve on Carnival. These are just a few examples of the differences.

Hairy chest, belly flop etc contests won’t be found anywhere on MSC.

Not saying one or the other is better. But, Carnival is uniquely American with the experience they offer. Even within the American market, the clientele tends to be a bit different on Carnival than on MSC.

Again, not good or bad....just different. I’ve sailed both....liked both....for entirely different reasons.

Regarding the first time cruisers, cruise lines all play a bit of a game regarding “upgrades”. The upgrade could well have been a different cabin or deck that’s more desireable than the one the person booked. Cabin may well look the same, but in a different location. People who have never cruised might expect an upgrade to mean their cabin will be much nicer.

Others book a suite, expecting some grand cabin, when it reality, most suites are just cabins with a little more room then the “standard” couterparts.

Not trying to be snarky, but if you like the Carnival experience, the best place to get that is on a Carnival cruise, not MSC.

Now I know -people do eat those crepes. We kept wondering why they have it on board ,we never saw anybody ordering it. :rolleyes:An by the way no mass market cruise line will refill your mini bar at your request , they all do it once a day .