Current Cruise Director (CD) List

On 3/28/2021 at 10:52 AM, AstoriaPreppy said:

Many of the cruise directors I've sailed with have faded into the ether of time, but Richard Spacey is seared into my memory as the most cringeworthy. We had him as cruise director on the Celebrity Equinox and he was attractive and inoffensive and performative in the most CD way possible (British, really into socks), with one off-putting exception.

Richard ended every *single* onboard announcement by whispering "oh, and one more thing... I love you" into the PA system in a creepy little kid voice. You'd be at the pool, and he pops up with the afternoon announcements like  "We've got bingo, and karaoke, and archery, so go out and have a great day... oh, and one more thing... I WUV U!!" 

The first time it happened we thought we misheard him, only later realizing it was some sort of schtick. We also thought we were the only people who thought it was weird until it came up chatting with strangers at the bar. The whole thing was so oddly unprofessional, it has completely altered the curve on "bad" cruise directors for me. 

Sad to say, I never did experience Richard Spacey on any of our Royal cruises but surely we I had. This is the first time I'm hearing of his I love you" schtick at the end of each announcement. Funny, no one ever mentions that with the glowing reviews I have read about him. I do not doubt what you say, however.

On 3/29/2021 at 12:59 PM, lovesthebeach2 said:

she is (or was if she’s no longer a CD) one of our favorites. (Hello Clo)

I feel the same way about Becky Thompson. She was the CD we had on our very first Royal Cruise nearly 20 years ago. She was amazing. I can still remember her walking on the tops of the seats in the main theater during the "Welcome Aboard Show" to speak with different people. What a blast she was.

She was a dancer prior to taking on the role of CD so she had that "way about her" when she moved on stage. She was from England and very delightful. Becky sustained an injury on the ice at Studio B during one of the shows when she came out on skates at the end. I don't believe she worked as a CD after that injury. Last I heard, Becky was training cruise directors in Miami for Celebrity.

Edited by coffeebean

12 hours ago, sdsseattle said:

I’m so happy we get half of a cruise season out of Seattle this year! I will be on Ovation with Dan Whitney and Serenade with John Blair. How are these two?

My two all-time favorite CDs are Clo and Joff Eaton. 

Both have been around a long time.  We first sailed with John in 1998 and Dan in 1999. both on the Song of America. John's wife Katrina will be the Activities Manager.  There are some mixed opinions out about them but we enjoying sailing with them.  Dan is good to sail with.  As I recall he had some roots in the PNW way back when.   We are also sailing on both this season.

On 7/12/2021 at 11:13 PM, sdsseattle said:

I’m so happy we get half of a cruise season out of Seattle this year! I will be on Ovation with Dan Whitney and Serenade with John Blair. How are these two?

My two all-time favorite CDs are Clo and Joff Eaton. 

We had John and his wife, Katrina, on Grandeur.   They were very visible and personable.   You could tell they really loved their jobs and their guests.  I think you will enjoy them.

Erika

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 8:12 AM, coffeebean said:

I feel the same way about Becky Thompson. She was the CD we had on our very first Royal Cruise nearly 20 years ago. She was amazing. I can still remember her walking on the tops of the seats in the main theater during the "Welcome Aboard Show" to speak with different people. What a blast she was.

She was a dancer prior to taking on the role of CD so she had that "way about her" when she moved on stage. She was from England and very delightful. Becky sustained an injury on the ice at Studio B during one of the shows when she came out on skates at the end. I don't believe she worked as a CD after that injury. Last I heard, Becky was training cruise directors in Miami for Celebrity.

I remember Becky.  She is a lovely person and was a great Cruise Director.  I think in addition to her injury that she got married and may have wanted a shoreside job to be with her husband.  I wonder if she's still training CD's for Celebrity

On 7/13/2021 at 10:47 PM, dsvd79 said:

I don't want to be that person, but I guess I will be.  (Sorry in advance)

The ship is spelled Odyssey not ODESSY

I don't want to be that person, but there should be a comma between Odyssey and not. Additionally, a period should end the sentence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2021 at 3:55 PM, John Reid said:

I don't want to be that person, but there should be a comma between Odyssey and not. Additionally, a period should end the sentence.

Oh, nooo!  It's the grammar police,;?.! 😉

I wasn't trying to be smart or anything.  I just wanted to let you know it wasn't spelled right.  That is all.  If I offended anyone I am sorry.  I meant no harm in the post.  That's why I rarely post on the main boards anymore because there is always that one *****. 

On 7/27/2021 at 8:16 AM, LindaO said:

Looking forward to being on any ship, with any CD... 🙂   Looking forward to seeing Mark in September on the Allure. 

Hi Linda,

I am sure you are the same LindaO who started the thread for the Serenade inaugural  transatlantic....and I think that was about our first introduction to Cruise Critic.  Quite a few years ago!   As it turned out, we did not make that cruise--thanks to United Airlines last minute cancellation of our flight and the improper way it was handled.  That was many years ago.  Perhaps we will meet on Allure.  When are you sailing.  We will be on for the 5th and the 12th.

Barb

1 hour ago, truffles2 said:

Hi Linda,

I am sure you are the same LindaO who started the thread for the Serenade inaugural  transatlantic....and I think that was about our first introduction to Cruise Critic.  Quite a few years ago!   As it turned out, we did not make that cruise--thanks to United Airlines last minute cancellation of our flight and the improper way it was handled.  That was many years ago.  Perhaps we will meet on Allure.  When are you sailing.  We will be on for the 5th and the 12th.

Barb

Barb... that is just horrible missing the Serenade... That was a great cruise... a long long time ago!    I'm on the Allure, September 5 Sailing!   It will be so good to see you!   Are you on the Sept 5 Allure thread??

Edited by LindaO