Should I cancel plan?

mahondi

On Caribbean Princess leaving on July 14 for W Caribbean. My niece is on NCL Oasis of the Seas on similar in W Caribbean. They just got notice the itinerary has changed due to storms. Anyone besides me concerned about this? I have insurance, but don't know if I'm being hysterical. Can I cancel? Should I?

I've been on several cruises on 2 different lines where decisions to change course were decided during the cruise. No captain is stupid enough to steer his ship toward a hurricane. I would not cancel; your insurance might not cover unless you have "for any reason" coverage. You'll have a great cruise; you just don't know where you'll be going.

It appears the National Hurricane Center has taken down the five-day forecast for Beryl as of this afternoon.

There is absolutely no way of knowing if she will be affecting the Gulf of Mexico a week from now. Or have completely disappeared.

I see you are from the Gulf Coast of Florida so likely had quite an encounter with Irma last year.

As someone who spent eight days in traffic running from her, if I could have been on a cruise ship instead--even with the port calls subject to last minute change--I would have done so in a heartbeat.

So unless you have really really good cancel-for-any-reason insurance, board and don't look back next week.

I wouldn't cancel, it might be a fun cruise after all. So what if you miss a port or two, we have missed ports due to storms - twice on the New England cruise. We had a great time. I don't know if your insurance would recognize a "maybe" storm. If they cancelled the cruise all together, that would be a different story. Not on a "maybe."

On Caribbean Princess leaving on July 14 for W Caribbean. My niece is on NCL Oasis of the Seas on similar in W Caribbean. They just got notice the itinerary has changed due to storms. Anyone besides me concerned about this? I have insurance, but don't know if I'm being hysterical. Can I cancel? Should I?

Was your niece's itinerary change a private island in the Bahamas, or a stop in the Bahamas?

by the way, Oasis of the Seas is a Royal Caribbean Cruise Line ship, not NCL. Big difference.

This is hurricane season. If you don't want to take a chance of your itinerary being interrupted

due to tropical storms and hurricanes, do your cruising from December thru May. Still, ships

cruise every year, year after year and they don't sail into hurricanes on purpose.

The best cruise stories happen during Hurricanes. Ride it out. Tell all your friends after how brave and courageous you were.

If you tell it right, they will believe the Captain called you to the bridge to save the day. Hint: don’t go for the wheel, head to the joystick.

With only a week away I wouldn't cancel unless for some reason you have your heart set on the particular itinerary of the cruise. If the storm is going to cause a change in itinerary just go with the flow. Princess will not take a chance of running into a tropical storm or hurricane. We have been on one cruise where a hurricane was active in the area and the ship diverted and we were fine with the changes. Anyway, no way to know for sure if the storm will follow the projected track it is currently on or even if it will develop into a stronger storm. If you decide to go have a great cruise.

Was your niece's itinerary change a private island in the Bahamas, or a stop in the Bahamas?

She was supposed to go to Haiti, Cozumel and Jamaica and as of now they are going to Nassau, St Thomas and St Maarten and is leaving tomorrow,

She was supposed to go to Haiti, Cozumel and Jamaica and as of now they are going to Nassau, St Thomas and St Maarten and is leaving tomorrow,

Big difference between RCI making an itinerary change for this week and your sailing next week.

The reason the Oasis-class ships have to be overly cautious and stay closer to their home port is that they would be stuck in the Gulf if four or five days from now a revived Beryl is wreaking havoc on the route back to Port Canaveral. No real alternative homeports to disembark 6000-plus. While the CB could theoretically head to Galveston--or even through the new locks of the Panama Canal if that were the only escape route.

Modern cruise ships are fully equipped with the latest weather gear and aee in contact with the Hurricane Center as well as their corporate offices. No cruise ship is going to sail into a tropical storm much less a hurricane. The ports may change because of the weather but you will be on a cruise ship sometimes called a floating resort with plenty to do. RCL is taken abundant caution with the weather by changing the ports of call and Princess may do the same. A decision will be made closer to the time of departure as the weather can change quickly. Right now Beryl is becoming disorganized as a storm but may reorganize later. Go have a great cruise.

Hurricane season is from June through November with the greatest chance of hurricanes being in August through October.

The best cruise stories happen during Hurricanes. Ride it out. Tell all your friends after how brave and courageous you were.

If you tell it right, they will believe the Captain called you to the bridge to save the day. Hint: don’t go for the wheel, head to the joystick.

Neverbeenhere,

I love it!! You are nuts LOL...:D:D:D I agree don’t cancel.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

In a heartbeat, I'd take the new substitute ports for the original one.

Princess captains would not put you in harms way...like some other cruise line did...

Enjoy your cruise. It will be an adventure.

Looks like your niece got a better itinerary with the storm..but most importantly..as of yesterday..the US government issued a warning to Americans in Haiti to take shelter in place due to deadly riots because of increased gas prices and also heard on news that all US airlines had cancelled flights on Saturday....

We sailed on the Ruby several years ago during Hurricane Bertha. We missed going to Princess Cays, since the storm was heading toward the Bahamas. We got a day at sea instead. It was absolutely gorgeous weather. We would never have known there was a hurricane just a couple of hundred miles away.