Desert on X

We generally skip dessert in the MDR - I find the majority of them to be disappointing.

We instead head over to Café Bacio and indulge there. Nothing like an after dinner Americano and a lovely piece of whatever cake catches our fancy (or mousse, or éclair, or sometimes even a cookie or two).

32818054904_a729a8c344_c.jpg

32818053134_f7fc2862b6_c.jpg

33533082021_230e4d1076_c.jpg

32819579364_fd7769dcd8_c.jpg

32849283993_01396882b4_c.jpg

33278574890_c8eee0273d_c.jpg

This looks pretty darn good! Are Café Bacio on all ships? We're on the Summit.

Will the Cafe Ell Bacio let you take a slice to your room

You have to ask and they'll put it on a regular plate (and give you a fork) otherwise they don't want their particular Cafe Bacio plates leaving the area. We just did this exact thing on Eclipse.

I didn't know they stopped putting raisins in. I will definitely try it again, now that I won't have to spend all that time picking them out.:)

I know, right? At least budget cuts finally went to the right item!! The first night, DH asked about the apple pie and the server told him it did have raisins, DH asked if they could make him a special pie with no raisins. Then the second night he was told the pie no longer has raisins. There is also an apple turnover at café al bacio in the mornings only, that DH enjoyed. They seemed to make a tray of them each day, and after they are gone they were not replaced. I'd usually go early around 7:30 for some alone time and a morning espresso and then bring a couple back to the cabin for DH while he slept in. If we went in the morning, say after the MDR breakfast, there would sometimes be one or two left and they were never replaced.

Can't remember who asked, but YES there is a café al bacio on Summit, and yes you can get desserts to go, just ask. You can also order MDR desserts to go.

Cindy and I have our next cruise booked on the Infinity and I usually eat my share of desserts on a cruise - more than at home like most of us. For years I usually favored Carnival's Warm Chocolate Melting Cake and the self serve ice cream. Don't have a favorite yet on Royal Caribbean yet but Johnny Rockets had a killer milkshake. Their chocolate lava cake wasn't bad.

What's not to miss on Celebrity? What's worth walking up a few extra flights of stairs to burn those calories for?

PS Sorry folks, the title should be "Desserts on X". Desert is where we go to Aruba for :cool:

the chocolate mousse cake with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream is indescribably delicious.....if you like chocolate cake and it appears that you do, this is not to be missed. Back up dessert is creme brulee.....but it's served cold when it should be served warm. When in Aruba we have lunch at Iguana Joe's.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Agree on the Grand Marnier soufflé in Murano. Fabulous

Third vote for GM souffle. No really enamoured with the chocolate.

I'm also fond of the creme brulee and anything lemon in Baccio.

But desert is my least favorite part of a meal. I've been known to order another appetizer instead. (X is sometimes able to comply, but not always.)

I didn't know they stopped putting raisins in. I will definitely try it again, now that I won't have to spend all that time picking them out.:)

Me too!! I use to always ask about the cobbler and pie as I enjoy both but despise raisins. I wouldn't order it because of the raisins. I will have to ask again in November to see if they are without!

I can tell you where all those raisins have gone! In the MDR there is a fish entree that is described as being garnished with capers and pine nuts. Never seen either on it. However, a generous sprinkling of raisins does appear! I’ve ordered it twice thinking perhaps the first time was a fluke (I mean capers and raisins are so hard to tell apart.). The third time I asked it it could be served without the raisins. I was waiting for the waiter to tell me there were no raisins in the dish per the menu description. He wrote down my request and came back and said the fish is cooked in a “raisin sauce.” Good thing I don’t have a raisin allergy, just an aversion, as no mention is made of the raisins on the menu...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ever hear of Jean-Georges? Famous New York chef with a last name I can't spell...anyway, one of his most famous, classic dishes is scallops and cauliflower with caper-raisin sauce. They are cooked and pureed into the sauce. It's really good because the salt from the capers and sweet from the raisins play off each other.

But I've got a question - if you're allergic to raisins, does that mean you're also allergic to wine?

And I also want to add that I often order one of the sugar free desserts, not because I "have to", but sometimes they sound more interesting than the full sugar ones, and I've not been disappointed in those, either.

It's really good because the salt from the capers and sweet from the raisins play off each other.

Perhaps if you like sweet and savory together. I don't. But that's obviously not the reason I don't like raisins in my apple pie. Just don't like 'em!

Mike

Ever hear of Jean-Georges? Famous New York chef with a last name I can't spell...anyway, one of his most famous, classic dishes is scallops and cauliflower with caper-raisin sauce. They are cooked and pureed into the sauce. It's really good because the salt from the capers and sweet from the raisins play off each other.

But I've got a question - if you're allergic to raisins, does that mean you're also allergic to wine?

And I also want to add that I often order one of the sugar free desserts, not because I "have to", but sometimes they sound more interesting than the full sugar ones, and I've not been disappointed in those, either.

I said I just had an aversion to raisins. I much prefer them in Sauvignon Blanc than sauces...

I said I just had an aversion to raisins. I much prefer them in Sauvignon Blanc than sauces...

It was a serious question about allergies, not necessarily you. I wondered if there was some chemical transformation that occurred.

It was a serious question about allergies, not necessarily you. I wondered if there was some chemical transformation that occurred.
Quite the opposite for me, I can eat grapes but red wine is off limits due to an allergic reaction to the tannins.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk